Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Why is it our (U.S.) fault if the 'working families' (of Mexico) are poor?

Nobody is saying its your fault. Its simply a state, who has a budget, limited manpower, and cannot deal with a sudden rush of people into their space. They have all the right to compliant againts both Mexico and the US.

Maybe California should try this excuse next time they are over budget....
Should they send the delegation to Washington, Mexico, China, the world? All the above?

Don't give them jobs, and they wont go there. Problem is in good times they need them, and in bad times they want to blame everything on them.

sounds familiar! :lol:

no, the problem is selective enforcement of the laws in both sovereign nations

The practice of relying on walls instead of laws is rooted in racism, xenophobia, or wrong-headed nationalism.

I really think we should have open borders, and if y'all want to protect your jobs then make employers verify status before employment.

Tear down the wall!!!!

[Edited on 10-2-2009 by mtgoat666]
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

The days of America being the rich land of opportunity for everyone are over...

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Last time I checked, this was still engraved on Lady Liberty.

It's why I'm proud to be an American.

yes, and Lady Liberty is adjacent to the LEGAL point of entry for imigrants of the time- Ellis Island.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
The practice of relying on walls instead of laws is rooted in racism, xenophobia, or wrong-headed nationalism.

I really think we should have open borders, and if y'all want to protect your jobs then make employers verify status before employment.

Tear down the wall!!!!

It would be great if the current employment laws were enforced, but it isn’t going happen.

In any event, isn't is racist and xenophobic to say "Show me your papers!" ? :rolleyes:

The only real way to protect your job is do it better than the next guy.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 01:09 PM

... or for a lower salary.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 01:14 PM

Quote:

If that's going to be the criteria for advancement, you'll first have to get rid of unions.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

If that's going to be the criteria for advancement, you'll first have to get rid of unions.

Exactly Dennis, the only way to protect your job is stop eating onions.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly Dennis, the only way to protect your job is stop eating onions.

Huh???????????????? No comprendo.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Can we send the unions to Mexico? Maybe they could pick the onions. :lol:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Can we send the unions to Mexico? Maybe they could pick the onions. :lol:

Good idea. Mexico already has unions for most everything. In Mexico City at the city dumps, the ragpickers who live in the dumps are unionized. There must be a million of them and anyone can see how the union has elevated their standard of living.
Just another voting block.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 03:49 PM

However, the halcyon days of the American hegemony were marked by a strong union movement. It's an ebb and flow. I hope. Union workers made owners very rich. Their wealth incited greed. They could make even more money if they got rid of the unions. Or maybe just shipped the jobs overseas.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 10-2-2009 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
However, the halcyon days of the American hegemony were marked by a strong union movement. It's an ebb and flow. I hope. Union workers made owners very rich. Their wealth incited greed. They could make even more money if they got rid of the unions. Or maybe just shipped the jobs overseas.

Is Mexico outsourcing? In a Bay Area gift shop last month I saw a tag that said........
Hecho in Vietnam :?::?::?:

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Quote:
Dave, I hope it is B.S.

You need prosperity and freedom for America to be prosperous... and these are on the way out with the gang in power now.

makes one long for the incredible period of freedom and prosperity that reigned for eight fabulous years until last January 19th

:lol::lol:
You must be referring to the freedom of the banksters to prosper by ripping off the rest of us under the regime of no government regulation or oversight.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam

sounds familiar! :lol:

no, the problem is selective enforcement of the laws in both sovereign nations

Tear down the wall!!!!

mr mt goat,
not being one who is thin skinned but please realize what you have just done. you placed a division between us by implying that my words were about walls and racism. re-read what I have written please, and re-think your tactics in future arguments because we are on the same wavelength and wish for the same things. ideals and opinions can be injected without the darts. suave con la persona, duro con la problema. peace.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 11:29 AM

I have been a long time advocate of open borders for North America. Gee. If over two dozen countries in Europe can do it....

Unfortunately, since 9/11, Washington has been able to conflate the terror war with what has now become a hot war for jobs in this recessionary time.
So more and bigger walls. Passport requirements. Thorough searches.

Who really believes that Osama Bin Laden will be hiding in the trunk of a car coming across the border?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
I have been a long time advocate of open borders for North America. Gee. If over two dozen countries in Europe can do it....

Are there any two of the two dozen countries in Europe that have such a diverse economy as the US and Mexico?
I don't know, just asking.
Seems to me that similar economies would be necessary for a comfortable two way flow of traffic across open borders. Mexico and the US don't have that similarity, do we.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 12:42 PM

Actually, not true. Aside from what Rumsfeld called Old Europe, there are vast differences, especially the old Soviet Block countries. And although, we basically deal with three languages in North America, English, French and Spanish, the EU has twenty-something languages. Given their enlightened education, well over half of the populace in the EU speaks English.

I tried to post a link to a study, and a chart therein, displaying the difference, but Nomad appears to limit the characters allow for a hot link. If you Google Consumption and disposable Income in the EU Countries, you'll find that article.

Although it does not serve to support my point, I happened to spend time in both East and West Germany ten years after reunification, and the differences in lifestyle and infrastructure were stunning.

[Edited on 10-3-2009 by Bajahowodd]
BJSoccer16
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2009 at 05:07 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, since 9/11, Washington has been able to conflate the terror war with what has now become a hot war for jobs in this recessionary time.
So more and bigger walls. Passport requirements. Thorough searches.

Who really believes that Osama Bin Laden will be hiding in the trunk of a car coming across the border?

Open borders would mean all those people killing mercilessly in Tijuana would have quick access to the US of A. Do you really want el Teo in your neighborhood?
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 12-20-2009 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BJSoccer16
Do you really want el Teo in your neighborhood?

His loyal men are in Phoenix and San Diego already committing crimes.

...and what is worse? His drugs in your neighborhood (where they are already) or him in your neighborhood?

Perhaps if he did come across the border, US Justice might get lucky and Teo could get unlucky.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-20-2009 at 07:35 PM
Southern Attractiions ?

Just where is that Mexico labbor that GoatScheisse's talking about ?
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 05:58 AM

Bravo for Arizona for finally passing a law to protect the jobs in that State for the citizens of that State. I wish they would do that in all the USA. Back in the 60s when I was a kid growing up in Arizona. Jobs were easy to find for any teen that was looking for one. I worked at a hamburger joint (Rickeys) during the HS year, then mowed grass for two summers (110 degrees) from sun up to sun down. One summer I went to Yuma and picked cantelopes for two months getting paid by the poundage I picked. About 60 kids from Coronado & Scottsdale HS stayed in the WWII prisoner of war barracks with no air. We needed the $ to supplement our family's income.

Do these jobs sound familiar to you! These are the jobs that are mainly done by illegals today in CA. It was really hard for my kids and I'm sure other kids in CA to find jobs because many entry-level, non-skilled jobs are taken up by the invaders from the south. There was an article in the San Diego paper last week where the illegals are complaining cuz there are now gringos standing in line for jobs at the Home Depots. The nerve.

Let's keep jobs in the USA for USA citizens only. Our days are over being a wealthy country. Let our kids have the opportunity I had to learn a work ethic and the value of $ at an early age so they will become skilled and confident to take on the world.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.