Some pics attached for you Dern:

[Edited on 1-12-2010 by Sunman]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 10:51 PM

What a nice Baja rig!!!:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2010 at 11:32 PM

Lots of nice images, Sunman. The last being my favorite. Also like #3 an awful lot.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 07:13 AM

DERN

my buddy has a 2001 Northstar TS100 with every extra. in/out shower, awning, heat/air................and more. it's like new. my work computer wont allow my to resize fotos but gimme a u2u and i'll put you in touch. he asks $6000 OBO.

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 07:58 AM

Nice rig Sunman! Is that a Grandby or Fleet model?

I like the Kelty Cabana idea also.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
We added a back porch/sun deck/access elevator to ours so it's easy to get in and out.

Mateo,

I would like to have one of those handy dandy elevators too. Maybe you can work your magic on him...

Love to your favorite Chef,

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Nice rig Sunman! Is that a Grandby or Fleet model?

I like the Kelty Cabana idea also.

Mojo,
It's a Hawk model. The Kelty works great for me as I do a fair amount of non-Baja bushwhacking and i think the stock awning might present a problem for me there. Thanks all for the compliments.
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 08:49 AM

Had mine since 2001, love it. I've done some pretty ugly off-roading with it fully loaded and not 1 problem.
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 09:33 AM
pop ups

I've had this Northstar for many years. It has been great, however, if you plan on much rough off-roading, the 4 Wheel Pop Up may be better, as it is lighter in weight. Enjoy your camper search. Jim

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 09:50 AM

Stimbo,

Do you know the weight of your camper loaded? Nice photo!

Ken
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Dern,

Have you seen these?

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/chaser.html

Ken

Yes. I've seen them in the past. Way cool. I have a Vietnam era trailer that I love. With a few modifications, it holds my quad perfectly. When I/we(Paulina) go out into the sticks, it's nice to have the toy and a few extra supplies. I.E. fuel, water, beer etc. When it's time for dinner or bedding down, the camper is the better option for us.

DERN
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DERN
ext. shower,

Look carefully before you buy. Some of them don't have an inside shower, only outside.

Gotcha on that one. Leaning towards lots of baby wipes and a solar shower.

I've been trying to group all these quotes into one big post, but with my limited computer skills I'm having a heck of a time.

DERN
David A.
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:31 AM

Here is a Granby for 6500 in SD.

:tumble:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/1547735845.html
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 10:40 AM

Sunman,

Is that "awning" a Kelty Cabana or a Kelty Carport Shelter?

I did some research on the internet and it appears to be used primarily as a wind shelter. How effective is it doing that? I see lots of openings on bottom and side. It would be nice to have something like that on the pacific side.

Could be used for shade on the Cortez side. Cooking inside in the heat can be too much in the summer.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:32 AM

Seems like a lot of $$$'s for a little camper.
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:37 AM
On a 4WD Tundra doublecab

70k miles and five years down the road. The 4Wheel camper has been all over the Sierras, eastern Mojave and Baja. I love it! Bought it lightly used.

The hold downs pulled out from the plywood on the first Baja trip, I filled the holes, put 4 by 8 inch by .25 inch stainless backing plates and some used bronze boat turnbuckles ($10 apiece) in to replace the dime-store hold-downs that came with the camper and have never had a problem since.

I've replaced the little screws that were used to hold the seat bench together with loctited bolts after the screws backed out for the 50th time. Nothing else has broken or worn out.

Don't count on using the roof to hold anything on racks unless you want to unload it every time you put the roof up (insert funny hernia story here).

Anyway, great camper, few teeny issues, very strong. Don't bolt through the floor to hold it to the truck bed. Beef up the stock hold-downs. Have a beer and a fish taco.
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Sunman,

Is that "awning" a Kelty Cabana or a Kelty Carport Shelter?

I did some research on the internet and it appears to be used primarily as a wind shelter. How effective is it doing that? I see lots of openings on bottom and side. It would be nice to have something like that on the pacific side.

Could be used for shade on the Cortez side. Cooking inside in the heat can be too much in the summer.

Skipjack,
Yes, it is a Kelty Carport "Medium". It works ok for wind but is not completely enclosed on either end. The Carport "Deluxe" model however does close off on the ends and is probably better for that use if all corners are staked down. I saw a guy with one attached to his Landcruiser over X-mas and New years and it seemed to be working well for them. The good thing about it is that it packs up to the size of a small backpacking tent.
DERN
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:48 AM
Replies

Mojo Norte,

We have a full size F350. Million and a half ton truck. I've checked out a few older Grandby models and they just seem too outdated for me. Also the element of delamination and dryrot is an issue that I would just assume avoid.

In regards to the load range, they state 1000lbs for the new models and have some sort of lift assist. For me, it would be just a few surfboards, everyones favorite Broom Sweeper and a kayak. What are we talkin? 300lbs?

Also, stopping for a quick snack or coffee in the camper isn't our MO. We typically have an icechest in the truck with all the goodies. The whole crouching to not bash your forehead on the top of the door thing is a concern. I'm not too good at body space and have developed a serious calus on my forehead as a result. This could be a bonus. Four Wheel should give me a discount on my purchase.

Thanks,

DERN

GC(George)

The Northstar line is very nice. However, they are WAY too heavy for my application, even though our truck could totally handlle it. I also don't like the external tiedowns/turnbuckles. Dry weight on these things is in the 1200 lb range. I've checked out Roys next door to us many times as well as the website.

The Four Wheel model that I'm looking at (Grandby) only holds 20gal of water. That's great for just doing dishes, but to also take a shower, 20 gals goes fast.!

Pre-wiring sounds like a great idea. I'm not an expert, but installing basic solar systems as well as installing external lights is a no brainer.

Shade. I see your point on that one. Hell, I've even crawled under our truck for that one.
Have a safe trip.

DERN

David A.

As this thread has gone on, it sounds to me that the whole awning thing is a bust. I can see how they can rattle loose, blow away in the wind, fireworks landing on top of them (Ja Ja). Also, thanks for the link.

DERN

Skippy/Igor

I hear you on the whole heater deal. A clay pot upsidedown on the burner could heat the camper up quite fast. Just need to have a window cracked .

From what I gather, the Riverside showroom is closed. I've heard that they will be at the Del Mar Fred Hall Show. We've tried to see if they'll be in L.B. but no luck.

Now to the whole fridge deal. You have an icebox? Doesn't the block slop around while driving on extreme roads? How cold does it keep your food in the heat of the summer? I have a Fridge Freeze that I would like to wire into my solar camper set-up as well as have the three way fridge. What are the +/- to the ice box?

Thanks in advance,

DERN
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 11:56 AM

The ice box sucks. I ripped mine out and turned it into a pantry for dry food storage, there is a lot of room in that space. Best thing I ever did.

If you already have a fridge, that is the way to go. I'm still looking at putting an Engle or ARB fridge in mine, which also means solar. I've seen Engle's mounted in Grandby's in the front between the end of the counter and the front camper window, it's almost a perfect fit.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-12-2010 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
ext. shower,

Look carefully before you buy. Some of them don't have an inside shower, only outside.

Gotcha on that one. Leaning towards lots of baby wipes and a solar shower.

DERN

you don't need an inside shower camping in the desert by the sea. use solar shower bags in the outdoors: one bag of seawater for soaping up, one half bag of fresh water for rinsing.

if you reaally want a kitchen and inside bed, then check out offroad-capable teardrop trailers -- look like more practical than pop-up campers (but what do i know? i pitch a tent or sleep under stars).
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.