Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Tires question
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 10:11 AM

This morning, while (again) looking for the manufacturing date on the side of my BFG AT's, (which I still can't find), I discovered a wood screw imbedded in the face of the tread near the outer edge---------it was a measured 1 inch long, and still did not get thru to the air-chamber. Now THAT is a lot of rubber!!! These were load range "C" 285 x 16 tires on my '94 F-250 Ford pickup.

(that date code has GOT to be somewhere, but I sure can't find them.) :no:

Barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 11:09 AM

Barry look under the big BFGoodrich name for DOT. On my truck the two new tires I had installed last Nov. read DOT BFYU UJ11 3809. The 38th week of 2009. On the two older tires it says DOT BFYU UF11 then further to the right in smaller print 088 YUU F11 with each set of number/letters above the other. I am assuming it's the 8th week of 2008 because that fits the time frame I puschased them.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 11:21 AM

"The tires my Pulgita came with are General Grabber AT2
LT 265/73R16
123/1200 M.S
rim is 17", total tire h is 31
made is USA"

BB, LT 265/73R16 says the rim is 16" while "rim is 17" says 17". make sure you get the right tire size (must match the rim, measured at the seating surface inside the rim, not the overall diameter of the rim).

The tire of choice for our 102 vehicle Desert Explorers group is BFG All Terrain T/A ko tires but any tire made for dirt and sand (all terrain) with 3 ply sidewalls should be fine. Stay away from Passenger tires; they have a P in front of the name and will not hold up on dirt roads.
Stop by on your way down?
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:42 PM

Thanks guys-still reeling in the information...

Hay Neal-yea I think I will drop by on the way down if you are home. You and w#1 are always off on some adventure.

What abt the freeway driving miles with the tires you recommend, Neal??

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 07:39 PM

Baja Bucko,

It is nice to see your name on the board again. I can't help but tell you that the first picture that came to my mind when I read the title of your post was little BFG AT KO tire tread horse boots on your mules.

Nice to see you too Neal.

WIW #1
P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

cool.gif posted on 2-8-2010 at 05:13 PM
Tire Numbers Interpreted (Size)

Okay... to take the video from Bob & Susan one step further...

Use my tire for example: 265/70-R16 (R= radial)

A) 265 is the width in metric (mm)... to convert to American
inches, divide by 25.4.

265 / 25.4 = 10.43 inches wide.

B) The 70 number is the aspect ratio (or the height of
the sidewall as a percentage of the width).

My tire sidewall is 70% of the width or 10.43 X .70 = 7.30
inches.

C) The wheel (rim) is 16 inches in diameter.

>>> To figure the height of the tire in inches:

The rim (16") plus the two sidewall widths 14.6" (7.3 + 7.3) = 30.6 inches tall. Since bigger is better, we men round up to say 31 inches! :lol:

The magic number to remember is the 25.4 to convert the number of millimeters to inches for the width of the tire.

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 05:33 PM

BB, I don't keep track of the freeway miles so have no idea.

Another thing, the pressure on the sidewall is the maximum pressure for that tire, not the recommended running pressure. Recommended pressure is usually on the driver door opening (plate). Some people like to run 5lb. over recommended on the freeway, many run a few pounds less on dirt/sand/rocks (your normal Baja dirt roads :lol: ). I usually run 25lb. on the rear of my overloaded Tacoma on dirt, and frequently drive home with that pressure with no problems.
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 06:29 PM

Neal-the tires that came w the truck usually have abt 35 lbs-a little less off the road. One year I stopped at a San Diego Jiffy Lube-kinda place for an oil change on the way north and I got into an argument because since the tire SAID 80 that it MUST be filled to at least 70....I said NO please leave my tires alone. They wouldn't listen and said that they were at risk if the tires were left at 35....As soon as I pulled out of the place I jumped out and lowered the pressure to 35...geeesh.

Visited the Les Scwab today and I don't have much of a choice for tires....Mich would cost an arm and a leg in shipping costs since they special order that brand. So what I have a choice of-is either 6 ply or 10 ply....

The brands are Goodyear 6 ply Wild Country XTX Sport AS OWL

Toyo Open Country A/T ALL POSITION OWL 6 ply

Toyo " " 10 ply

Thats it .....The heaviest load I carry is usually stuff for multi-wk mule trips ie a few saddles, pack gear, food and stuff for the ranch families.

Man it amazes me how much these tires are going to cost but it is time.

I will go to TireRack.com (great site-thanks!) to read reviews but I think I don't have much choice in this rural area.

Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 06:50 PM

OK this can't be good-NONE of the mentioned brands are listed on TireRack...ooops.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 07:54 PM

Teddi... Just look at the selections made by Toyo and Cooper... Both very very good tire manufactorers and both have several styles from the Mud/ snow type to standard truck/ SUV types that all will be good in Baja.

Cooper is American , and Toyo is Japanese both sold by Americans in the USA.

I have seen FAR too many BFG All Terrrain T/As with seperated or blown out side walls. Heck, Amo Pescar with brand new ones got a side wall puncture on a sand road! Neal Johns helped us plug it up at San Gregorio in 2001! That was the trip we met you and your family... and delivered the fishing pole from Whistler.

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 08:46 PM

Under certain conditions ANY tire will puncture except ones made from solid rubber-------even BFG TA KO's. For instance, I personaly have had tread separations with top of the line Firestone, and Cooper's, but never BFG TA KO's. Not sure what that means-------but you can be sure that I would never buy those 2 brands again.

Here is another personal prejudice--------I would NEVER shop at Les Schwab when I can buy the same tire at AMERICA'S TIRE COMPANY cheaper --------heck, ATC even beat Costco tire sales price-wise.

All we can go by, and know is valid, is our own experience----------and obviously that varies from person to person, as all these posts indicate. :lol:.

Good luck, all.

Barry

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by Barry A.]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 06:50 AM

david

some coopers are made in america and some in china
you need to look at the tire

some toyos are made in japan and some in the usa and some in the uk

toyo has a deal with general too
its a pretty big company with many arms

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 08:31 AM

Thanks Bob... I did mean to indicate what country those companies were based. In today's world, products are made all over! My 2010 Toyota (Japan) was made in Tijuana!

Hang on for that big storm coming your way!

Get into the ligthouse and stay above the water!!:saint:

classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 09:54 AM

My advice is to Go either BFG AT, MT, or MT2. I just boughtthe MT2 and they are awesome.

Why do i say this. I have lived in baja 6 years full time, not one issue with BFG besides a rock through the sidewall which was my mistake.

The biggest reason for BFG's in Baja:= availability....you can find BFG's in nearly every tire store in baja...try that with a Les Schwab or other brand. I'd bet, you couldn't buy a new Les Schwab replacement in Baja, or a Nitto, or a Super Swamper....my find one only by special order only at 2 weeks out.

just my .02
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 10:02 AM

of those 6yrs 95% off-pavement driving since I live on the eastcape.
roadhog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 12:02 AM

traded the E250GT's Hankook's for Toyo A/T 10 plys. The Hankooks were unacceptable slippery. I have 5 for sale at 800 miles.
The Toyo's howl then break in. Maybe I went deaf from the Kenwood. Gas Mileage prob not so good but Toyo's are made well and wear well for the coarse dog bone treads. Yet Great in 3" water at speed, outstanding on wet clay uphill hairpins with Ford's LSD. Prob good in sand. Significant grip.
At speed on a dry road with a load, Toyo A/T's give ample nibbling warning before sliding. The van dirt tracks well on a wet road and I imagine on wet dirt, Toyo sliding smoothly, evenly with control and feeling.
Balanced A/T, quality performance on pavement and dirt.
roadhog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 12:06 AM

right. the Toyo stop quickly on dry pavement. Haven't had a quick stop on dirt, wet dirt or wet pavement.
roadhog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 12:50 AM

with 4WD, going to a Michelin M/S with a less aggressive tread than a Toyo or Yokohama A/T is an effective choice. Or Bridgestone M/S. If commuting in the rain then lean toward an A/T for control on flooded roads. What you see and pay for is what you'll be driving on. Seeing 'it' is the problem. Example, Yoko Geolander 3 ply has dogbones running paralllel to driving direction where the Toyo's dogbones run less so for more grip. Two completely different tires advertsied in the same category.
In quality and grip in the Michelin/Bridgestone class, you'll see finer mouldings, more sipes and sipe detail with a quality tire and less with a cheaper tire. The inexpensive tires mimic expensive designs trying to fool your eye and inexpertise at examining the treads. One funny are anti hyrdoplanning groove(s) where the maker saves % rubber-maybe 20% ? leabing the customer with less everything.
Hi mileage tires are unsafe tires in emergency conditions. Sometimes you get what you don't pay for.
roadhog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 11:17 PM

AND WITH THE 4WD on M/S, spring for an extra rim and two 10 ply sand tires for the rear axle for when you get there.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-2-2010 at 06:11 AM

10 ply sand tire? what's that????

most are soft 2 ply

sandtire.jpg - 2kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.