BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A perfect truck for Baja?
cpteich

[*] posted on 3-6-2010 at 06:30 PM

I know that area real well. The sand there is extremely soft. I have been stuck there a few times in my life....... The commerical guys love the Toyotas. Good luck and I'm sure I'll see you there. I have a blue F-350 crew cab long bed with a 22 foot aluminum.

Pete
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:47 PM

If you are only going to drive 6000 miles a year mileage doesn't matter much and older 4x4 will work, there are far more Fords, Chevys and Dodges in Baja. Cheap and cheap parts.
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 06:30 PM

Sure hate to have my accelerator stick coming down the Santa Tomas Grade....
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marv sherrill
:lol::fire: I have a '09 Tundra TRD 4x4. Just got the recall notice in the mail. I hope to relocate to La Paz in the next year or so. Good bye Tundra, hello mid 70's Ramcharger or K-5 with a healthy small block! I like a little more power, and repairs are no sweat. To beat up a $40K truck that could leave you stuck or dead is not an option in my book. The early straight axle Toyota 4x4's are tough little trucks, but the early IFS models, 3.0V6, are very weak. I have owned an automotive shop for over 20 years, and short of auto trans rebuilding, I want something I can fix. We all know Baja is hard on your wheels, pick them with care. Is there a Toyota dealer in Baja Sur worth a rat's burro? Driving a newer truck for a couple weeks a year in Baja is one thing, maintaining a high mile, rough use vehicle is another story:light: As soon as you enter the computer controlled, fuel injected era, unless you are very mechanically inclined, with far more sophisticated tools and equipment than the average Joe, you are going to be at the mercy of the local dealer. Give me a small block and a Holley any day! 18 and 20 inch wheels are cool in the states, but readily available tires,:?:, oops. For me, simple vehicle, simple problems, simple fixes make sense.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 09:31 PM

bajabass I hear you on that one.. 5 x 5.. I'm looking, but would appear that everyone else is too... saw a really nice 1978 Bronco go off for $5200, garaged the whole time, with only 39,000 ... but, was in SC.. could have had in shipped, but I want an old truck.. wish I had not given my old Dodge 3/4 wood cutting truck to my brother in law.. he left it over in the City of Industry for a few days.. he said he could not get it to start after running out of gas.. there was not much left when he finally called me for a hand.. boy.. it was a solid running unit.. not 4 x 4 but it worked very well for me for a number of years.. only had to replace a timing chain.. and I used it.. had a horse trailer on it too.. don't talk about gas milage.. but, it would get it done.. and it was beat up so bad it was just what I wanted... can't hurt it!!

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 09:42 PM

Even an eary 80's truck is relatively simple throttle body injection, a 1/2 ton 4x4 Dodge or Chevrolet can handle anything Baja has to offer, I am not a Ford guy, but they will do in a pinch. After 15 years of Toyotas living in the states, I'll take good old Mexican-American iron when I move south full-time!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 08:36 AM

Quote:

Don't buy a Prius!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Don't buy a Prius!
Good one David!:tumble::spingrin:
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 09:43 AM

How far back do you go to get that reliable baja truck? Please be specific which Chevy/Dodge/Ford should a guy get to pull a 4,500# travel trailer up and down/across Baja??? no computers would be great if stuck in some small village with "just" the local mechanico....
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 09:55 AM

That is a pretty heavy trailer, go 3/4 ton with a big block. 73-80, Suburban or K-20 p/u. Ford F-250, or Dodge W-250. The short wheelbase Ramcharger, Bronco, K-5's, would get pushed around way too much by a trailer that heavy. 4x4 for sure!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.