Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  12
Author: Subject: Road Block Bandits
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:19 PM
BALLS

I forgot to tell Durango,, being his first time in Baja,, that he really had alot of balls and a real quick thinker,

you can travel with me any time

good work

ken/jane

yuma,az
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:43 PM

Anybody who thinks three trucks with no license plates, in the dark and with flashing lights on their dash boards are legit needs to stop and ask the dudes what they are doing. Maybe they were out hunting for Chupacabras....or Snipes.

Dream on....sweet *********. Those were Bandidos and if you drive in Baja after dark you are dumber than doggy doo.

BB

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by BajaNomad]
jodiego
Nomad

Mood: ever hopeful

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durangotang
Well hello there ;)

Let me see if I can shed some light on the topic.... I guess I'll tell the story in more detail:

It was about 8pm and we were cruising on the rough part of the road between Puertocitos and Gonzaga. If this makes sense to anyone: it was the area where it gets rockier and you are climbing up and down more hills... probably 3/4 of the way to Papa Fernandez (vague, I know). Once the sun set, we started seeing a lot more traffic heading northbound with automotive parts: a large flatbed full of engines, a pickup with a Toyota cab in the bed, various other pickups full of parts... didn't see anyone for a while after seeing all those trucks then I saw 3 sets of headlights coming. It was at one of those sections with the sandy track that ran parallel to the road. I didn't think anything of it until one of the trucks pulled alongside the other, taking up the whole road. The third truck then drove onto the sandy track. I turned on the bumper lights and saw that the two vehicles in the road each had 1 person in them in civilian clothes... the truck in the sandy track turned on a flashing red light inside the cab and the other two followed suit and stopped. I decided not to stop and drove through the brush between the road and the sandy track. I turned on the backup lights as I passed them and none of them had license plates or markings of any kind. The 3 trucks sat there for a minute then continued down the road.

I ran into a guy from california who lives at Papa Fernandez and asked him about the whole thing. He said that, earlier that day, there had been government people there investigating the stolen planes. He said they were all in newer SUV's.

So there you go... that's the scoop. Take it as you will.

I've got to say that you have an incredible recall for detail. Did you make a log of the trip?:?:
durangotang
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 07:56 PM

I did make a log... I think you looked right over it when you clicked on this thread ;)

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44643

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by durangotang]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 08:01 PM

With your eye for photography and feel for adrenaline I am surprised you didn't get a picture of the encounter.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
With your eye for photography and feel for adrenaline I am surprised you didn't get a picture of the encounter.

It's probably hard to be a tourist when your life is on the line. :light:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Having spent 40 some years traveling frequently in remote parts of Baja and never seen a 'bandito'... I conclude they are about as real as chupacabras.

David, David, David ...... :rolleyes: :P
I guess since YOU'VE never seen one, they don't exist. :smug:
What planet do you come from, really ?? :lol:
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 08:12 PM

here we go again:no:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grmpb
here we go again:no:

Not really. Lacks substance for turmoil. Maybe some other time. :lol:
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 08:50 PM

when has substance been a consideration??:lol:
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 09:51 PM

Any connection with the "Murder on the Malecon"?

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44668

http://www.**************.com

[Edited on 3-10-2010 by BooJumMan]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Well hello there ;)

Let me see if I can shed some light on the topic.... I guess I'll tell the story in more detail:

It was about 8pm and we were cruising on the rough part of the road between Puertocitos and Gonzaga.

some of you people never learn: do not drive at night.
soulpatch
Nomad

lol.gif posted on 3-9-2010 at 11:05 PM
I hear air blowing.............out a borrego's culo

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Well hello there ;)

It was about 8pm and we were cruising on the rough part of the road between Puertocitos and Gonzaga.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Having spent 40 some years traveling frequently in remote parts of Baja and never seen a 'bandito'... I conclude they are about as real as chupacabras.

dk:
your conclusion is assinine -- mexicans and americans have been robbed and or killed in past few years by armed robbers, carjackers or kidnappers in rural areas.

just because it has not happened to you does not mean it does not happen.
durangotang
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2010 at 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Well hello there ;)

OK now... you could have just posed the question "why were you out at night?" instead of jumping straight to condescending prick...

We left San Felipe at noon with the destination being Papa Fernandez... should be more than reasonable. It's reasonable until you have to make several trailer repairs on the side of the road and fix a flat tire for a European couple in a rental car with no spare.

Unfortunately, sh*t happened.... but I was prepared for it and I dealt with it accordingly.

cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 07:41 AM

sounds too me like agroup of trucks just stopped on the road !
Probably draining the lizard ?
dashboard red lights-not foolin anybody-
Many,many,many,many times,,,I have just stopped on the road,(aka roadblock),drained the liz,back at it.

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grmpb
when has substance been a consideration??:lol:

Not for Diver... no.

My comment was to provide a possible answer to durangotang's encounter that it could very well have been something other then 'banditos', because the Mexicans need our tourist dollars and that one word: bandito,... well takes all the good stuff of the trip report and throws it out the window (for some who would have gone to Baja after reading it). At Bahia Concepcion (Requeson), a federale pulled up in a Dodge pickup with a couple of soldiers to check for drugs... He wasn't in a uniform, just a cowboy hat and dark glasses (the soldiers were, however)... Oh, the Dodge truck was unmarked and had Texas license plates... So, the trucks they drive may have been civilian looking!

Because he had just passed several northbound vehicles (who would have been victims of the banditos) and were not warned of banditos... and there were red flasing dash lights in the bandito's truck... and the banditos didn't chase them... all sounds like it was something else. Fishin' Rich told me he would just drive past government roadblocks/ checkpoints and never got chased or shot at.

Because I have traveled that area since 1965, and have never seen a 'bandito', I thought my observation was qualified. Of course durangotang could have very well been targets of roving banditos... I was just trying to put a more positive answer to the mystery. How many of you long time Baja travelers have seen 'banditos'.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 07:56 AM

well, Juan has lived over 40 years in central baja and has seen quite a few banditos. I have experienced some too....one in particular was a pick up truck out by the salt flats on the road from vizcaino to asuncion. It was just after dark...(shopping took longer than expected and so did the tacos) and as usual we stopped to see if they needed any help...there were 3 men and one said they had a tire problem and asked if we had a screwdriver...juan and I exchanged doubtful glances and said we had no tools sorry...and sped off.

Well, the truck then did a u-turn and chased us...I was scared shootless...luckily when we turned off onto the asuncion dirt road, they did not pursue us any longer....whew...but after that incident, we take a good long look at who we stop for and dont generally stop any more if we dont know the people or feel it is a bit weird.

There are banditos everywhere in the world and we just need to be aware and learn to recognize the signs of danger. We also run into roadblocks in strange remote areas but have always been clearly military or police.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 08:02 AM
Durangotang

right on. You are an example of " those that can ". Those that can't, well they make negative comments here. I guess it makes them feel better to belittle the accomplishments of others such as yourself. How sad.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-10-2010 at 08:02 AM

Thanks Shari... good to hear from a Baja full time resident on this... !

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  12

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.