Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  19
Author: Subject: A Double Shakedown in Constitución
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 04:02 PM

i have a gopro camera that sits on my dash, if i get stopped i will turn it towards the window and tape the encounter.

sbwontoo
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 04:11 PM

I hope that public officials are reading this site. It is just this sort of thing that is keeping people from the US visiting Mexico. It is part of the reason I am not going to the mainland this winter. I had hoped to stop in Constitution and spend the night, eat out in a restaurant there, I know that they were hit hard by the hurricane and I like that town, but if this does not stop then I will NEVER stop in Constitution and I hope others will not stop also.

We have been given a contact point in the Dept of Tourism and I hope we will use it when ever we run into this sort of illegal behavior.

Iflyfish
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
WHERE OH WHERE.....

Is the notation that anyone has filled out a complaint form with the green angels?

This is a federal complaint form and it generates a ton of paperwork for an accused party and they do not -repeat- do not slip it into the wastebasket.

But, sadly, I am whistling in the wind here :-(

DavidE, WHY do you think you're whistling in the wind??:?:

Where can you get a copy of the form? Does it have to be initiated by the Green Angels? Could anyone get a copy of the form & submit it? Do you know the name of the form or have the form number??

This is the first I've heard of this one & I'm betting the first that many have heard of it. I sincerely believe that more would complete & turn the form in than would opt to continue to submit to harassment & mordita threats.

Come on....share!:bounce:

Santiago, you try the cell phone trick & let us know how that works out for you! I personally wouldn't try that for fear of immediate retribution....they DO have guns ya know! I ain't flipping a coin to decide the odds of which officers might actually have bullets on any given day!:no::no:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
What do yo think would happen if you took out your cell phone, took a picture of the cop and said you were going to texted it to Sindicatura in La Paz? Would this be foolish?

If I were a cop, I'd take it away from you and smash it into a billion pieces on the ground, then fine you for littering.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 05:07 PM

Friends, this is a no brainer.

1. Be polite

2. repeat after me " write me a ticket"

3. Repeat after me " take me to the police station"

However, if they plant drugs on you, reach for that wallet

No worries
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
What do yo think would happen if you took out your cell phone, took a picture of the cop and said you were going to texted it to Sindicatura in La Paz? Would this be foolish?
I think a better plan would be to use the record function on your cell phone to secretly record your conversation with the cop and play it back for the commandante.
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 05:42 PM

maybe one of you brave souls that have the info could tell the rest of us who the Commandante is.... it would be worthwhile to stop at the office and share with him/her what concerns we Nomads have about our travels and reluctance to stop in Ciudad Const. to have meals or spend the night... maybe that is pollyanish but it might be worth a try and benefit all who pass through there...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
maybe one of you brave souls that have the info could tell the rest of us who the Commandante is.... it would be worthwhile to stop at the office and share with him/her what concerns we Nomads have about our travels and reluctance to stop in Ciudad Const. to have meals or spend the night... maybe that is pollyanish but it might be worth a try and benefit all who pass through there...

I don't know which Comandante folks are talking about, but if it's the police comandante, he got his job for accumulating the most Shakedown merit badges.
Anybody who thinks he'll lend a sympathetic ear is delusional.
They are all part of the same system.
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
This cop gig at Cd. Constitucion is bordering on the ridiculous. We need more actions like chnlisle's above. I'm thinking someone with some "palanca" in local politics (Jesse, we need you) might want to bring this situation to the attention of someone who can do something about it.

Jesse has to live with them, so to speak. It's a delicate situation for him to be fighting city hall. The payback can be brutal for a businessman down here.
I think the tourist or guest would have more clout anyway. That's the demographic the cities are trying to ingratiate.

I agree with your point in general, Dennis. But given that this situation involves local cops up in Cd. Constitucion, I doubt that there are too many folks here in the municipal of La Paz that would get their hair up in a dander over an informal complaint--indeed, just let people higher up know what's going on up there--and perhaps someone from the State, or even Federal, level might tell them that they are going too far. Quite possibly Mexican officials don't know what's going on in Cd. Constitucion, since it only affects foreigners. And these days, with the economic crisis and all, the last thing State and Federal officials want is to discourage us from coming.

My personal experience with the local tourist office was: if you aren't looking to make a sizable investment here, don't bother us. But perhaps that mentality has changed.

Steve
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 06:24 PM

I don't know, Steve. The law enforcement community is smaller than we think and it only takes a phone call to bring them closer together.
Anyway, you touched on the answer to it all, tourism. Make enough noise as to affect the confidence of tourists and the government will take notice and solve the problem. That's how it worked with the toll road crime up here a few years back.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 06:32 PM

I hope it's not the same Secratery of Toursim that caused the death of that man a few years ago, after the ever changing demand on his family for more money. The Drs. in Ensanada told them over and over again that he needed to be treated in SD....End result, too late, he's dead! :fire: Don't think I'd rely on him for help, afterall, it was him who hit the family. Great for Tourism!

Mean people suck!
offshore_day

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 09:38 PM

was just in Constitucion about a week ago, saw the police set up in the frontage lanes on the right stopping cars, fortunately I moved into the left lane of the central lanes and made it by. Did my business and left town using back streets. But did get stopped leaving Insurgentes, questioned as to my destination, they appeared to look in to see if I had my seat belt on and let me go.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 10:38 PM

Glad to hear you made it through that adventure unscathed, Oladulce! How's Chino doing? Haven't been down there in sooooo long. We'll be at Punta Hughes (Santa Maria) over the 4th for Mrs. Sculpin's Bday. Looks like we'll have it to ourselves!!

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
Glad to hear you made it through that adventure unscathed, Oladulce! How's Chino doing? Haven't been down there in sooooo long. We'll be at Punta Hughes (Santa Maria) over the 4th for Mrs. Sculpin's Bday. Looks like we'll have it to ourselves!!

Being retired makes a world of difference. Increases the tolerance level when you don't have to worry about being delayed for work because of foolishness like this.

You twos have fun out there Sculpin!
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 06:57 AM

The front page of the latest Baja Citizen reports that as a result of growing pressure from several businesses within EMPHROTUR (La Paz's Hotel and Tourism Enterprises Association) La Paz mayor Rosa Delia Cota Montano has prioritized training for local city police to improve service to tourists. The article goes on to say they will be distributing formal complaint forms to local hotels and car rental agencies beginning June 15th so they have an official document to file complaints.

Don't mean to sound polly-annish and have no idea if forms have actually been distributed anywhere but the EMPHROTUR office on 16 Sept between Madero and Revelucion may be interested in the gauntlet tourist need to run in CD Constitucion in order to get to La Paz. It could be a winning situation for them as it is an opportunity to take a decisive action and place the blame on another city's cops.

In Memory of E-57
snowcat5
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 07:36 AM

I have been stopped almost every time I have gone thru Constitution over the last 4-5 years- about 4 times a year. Usually the cop wants a bribe, 200 - 800 pesos. Twice I have gone to the police station to pay my fine- both times the Commander backed-up his cop and demanded that I pay him or have my car and gear impounded- I paid. Once, I was stopped by two local cops who claimed my trailer lights weren't working: when I walked to the rear of my trailer to check the second cop ripped my wiring from the plug and said in perfect English, " Here's your problem; the wires are broken, you should have checked them before you left home". It cost me $20. to get out of there. I hate to pay the bribes but from what I've seen you will get no relief from the local police management. It does not matter if you are on the Federal Highway or the town streets; the local cops will stop people on any of the roads thru town. I will spend no money in Constitution ever, if I can help it. The newer Pemex North ( West side of road) of town is well known by the locals to short-liter you, and they will try to short-change you if you let them.
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 07:48 AM

Does everyone get shortchanged at the pemex?
Or just gringos?
Can not you call a Mexican agency for gas measurements?
If you hate that gas station, why do you use it?
Did you have a loose wire?
Did you get a receipt for the fine?
Did you talk to the Highway Patrol?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 07:57 AM

Maybe it's time to get the San Diego Union involved. This city has gone berserk with mordida to the point that it's a story.
In the meantime, spread the mantra...."Don't go to or through Ciudad Constitución."
Hurt their business and the business of all points south. Your personal complaints will fall on deaf ears regardless who is printing forms to report rampant mordida. As long as the money travels through that crap hole, the police will demand you share it with them.
The only thing that will stop this atrocity is pressure from the business communities to the south. Let them demand change. They'll get it.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 08:06 AM

Perhaps we need to set up an area on each end of town for gringos to gather and go via caravan.............nahhhhh
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
Perhaps we need to set up an area on each end of town for gringos to gather and go via caravan.............nahhhhh

I think this would work - have you guys forgot everything you learned in the 60s? About 30 or 40 cars simply start cruising the main - everytime someone get pulled over, everyone drives up, gets out, surrounds the cop and starts taking pictures and giving him crap. Others walk into stores, hotels, restaurants and give the owners fliers that point out that no one will ever spend any money in this town if this keeps up. Go back day after day after day with Jefferson Airplane "Start a Revolution" blasting from the CD. Walk into the local fish wrap en-mass and demand that someone grow a pair and actually start reporting this stuff. Be more belligerent that they. When they give you the red light, simply refuse to stop - everyone drive up behind the cop and start honking their horns until the guy goes nuts and starts shooting. Make a big f***ing scene and go home that night and remember what it's like to be alive and change something.................nahhhhhhh stay home and talk about it on the 'puter.
God I loved the 60's.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  19

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.