[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 03:12 PM

BillP
Thanks for the headsup!

In Memory of E-57
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 04:03 PM

Thanks Bill! I missed that one this morning! I sell my biz tomorrow, and may end up with a Parker. Looks like a good boat, but they all look good on the computer!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Thanks Bill! I missed that one this morning! I sell my biz tomorrow, and may end up with a Parker. Looks like a good boat, but they all look good on the computer!
I knew it would come down to this :lol:

In Memory of E-57
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 04:58 PM

Parkers are stout boats. Most of the time, a used 18' Parker will be in the $15-20K range. That one is a 2 stroke, have the motor evaluated by a good mechanic.

I can see it's missing a drivers seat, easily fixed with an ice chest and cushion. I'm sure there's other work needed but at that price, you have room to work.

Good luck guys!
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 05:04 PM

OK Alan, whoever gets a good boat first, gets to take the other guy out a couple times!!! :biggrin:

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 09:24 PM

I thought that Parker was too good to be true! The ad on Boody Decks is locked out now. :rolleyes:

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2010 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Lets say you want to go fishing, if you purchase the boat and tow it the costs would likely be near $7000 for the boat minimum, plus towing and running costs and gear, let's say a total $10,000 over three years.

If instead you used pangueros and paid $200 per outing you could go 50 times over the same period. You might go 5 times and realize that's enough trips to 88 for now and decide to become a sailor or diver or conservationist.

And you would not have to tow, load or unload or clean the boat.

Consider the advantages of chartering with local fleet captains, you will have success, save money and get more sleep.

If you insist on buying, perhaps consider a whaler 17. It's 15-30knots out there right now.

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by gnukid]

Boy....you got it right, I hate to say!

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Lets say you want to go fishing, if you purchase the boat and tow it the costs would likely be near $7000 for the boat minimum, plus towing and running costs and gear, let's say a total $10,000 over three years.

If instead you used pangueros and paid $200 per outing you could go 50 times over the same period. You might go 5 times and realize that's enough trips to 88 for now and decide to become a sailor or diver or conservationist.

And you would not have to tow, load or unload or clean the boat.

Consider the advantages of chartering with local fleet captains, you will have success, save money and get more sleep.

If you insist on buying, perhaps consider a whaler 17. It's 15-30knots out there right now.

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by gnukid]

That is fine if your only objective is to catch a couple of fish and are a part timer. I very seldom go with guides because I would lose the whole challenge of figuring out where the fish are, what they are feeding on, and how I can turn all of that into some level of success.
My worst nightmare is to go out with a panguero who only knows how to troll (which is my most unfavorite thing to do in the whole world) and actually pay money to be bored out of my mind.
So, your point and math are very valid and a great consideration, but it may not work in all cases and it depends a lot on what your goal really is.

What a great thread! This is a subject I have been contemplating alot lately.....to buy or not to buy (and a tin boat is what I have been thinking about). I have chartered and towed down (with a friend) and see distinct advantages with both. I will be traveling once or twice a year and despite the initial outlay the cost per trip will decrease significantly. I also like the idea of the freedom to not be so set into planned locations. I have been on a few boat rides so I like to arrange pangas in advance with more reputible outfits. Another consideration for me is my boys are almost at the age that they are ready to spend the day on the water and the flexibility of owning my own boatgives you more options to go out late, come in early, or just stay out and enjoy!Although my main reason for buying is to have a towable for Baja it would get used on the mountain lakes in CO.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist

What a great thread! This is a subject I have been contemplating alot lately.....to buy or not to buy (and a tin boat is what I have been thinking about). I have chartered and towed down (with a friend) and see distinct advantages with both. I will be traveling once or twice a year and despite the initial outlay the cost per trip will decrease significantly. I also like the idea of the freedom to not be so set into planned locations. I have been on a few boat rides so I like to arrange pangas in advance with more reputible outfits. Another consideration for me is my boys are almost at the age that they are ready to spend the day on the water and the flexibility of owning my own boatgives you more options to go out late, come in early, or just stay out and enjoy!Although my main reason for buying is to have a towable for Baja it would get used on the mountain lakes in CO.

I looked at all of the recreational pursuits that I enjoyed like hunting, fishing,golf, skiing, 4-wheeling, backpacking, and a host of other stuff, but decided that since I was nearing retirement, I needed to decide on one or two things that gave me the most pleasure that I could focus more intently on. For me that was an easy choice and it has allowed me to have good equipment and tackle because I was not so spread out and trying to do too many things.
So as you have touched on here, I have my own schedules, do not need to depend on someone else to set the schedule or timetable, and am free to go wherever I choose to fish, whether that is in Colorado or Mexico.
Gnukid is thinking of the short term and if you are just interested in catching a couple of fish you can always go out with a local guide and usually manage to do that, but that approach has it's limitations which play out time and again. A local captain has a limitation as to distance, equipment, and knowledge that will make him or her an expert in one location and may produce a few fish, but if the fish are biting too far away from his home range, he is usually not able to put the boat on a trailer and go there. I can fish either side of the baja peninsula and am basically only a few hours away from world class fishing that is dependent on my schedule and abilities and for sure it is not going to happen that you get a local panguero to fish in Dillon when the big browns are running.
So, if you are on a short vacation, or just do not want to invest in time and equipment and it is a recreational diversion, then charter makes a lot of sense, but if it is something deeper than that, then you may want to give some serious consideration to your own "setup".

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 10:05 AM

Pescador,

Good comments but you misunderstand me. I am boating for life, I go everyday and there are so few who do, if they go out I probably know them. I wish more people would come.

The point i was making should be clear, there is a great deal to learn about boating on the SOC, boating costs money and it can be difficult or dangerous. There is a good value in using the dominant system, if you haven't, that is to charter a panga, the value is excellent and you will learn if you really like it.

Me on the other hand, I am happy by myself on the water, so truthfully I feel claustrophobic on a panga with a captain and too many other fisherman. I have gone but I prefer not to be on someone else boat unless its someone very calm and skilled.

But back on point, today and yesterday we had little wind, what seemed like a perfect day on the bay of La Paz, I headed out as always and found my way toward Magote hoping to round the point and visit some whale shark and fish. As I found my way, I hit a river of current, perhaps 6-8knots sucking out, it was a bit more than I expected. And it was becoming very shallow over the sand bars. The current was actually quite dangerous if you weren't ready for it as it would drag you aground. But there is a cut through the sand bars.

I kept going to the point and close shore and rode the back eddy toward the inner bay and survived once again! Whew! Last night the sunset lit the sky up in storm of red and blue. There was only one other person out, my 'olbuddy Pete Begle was still sailing into the sunset.
seapeople

Mood: manana

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 01:44 PM

I used to tow a Gregor down for years. I liked the idea of being able to ground it without scratching fiberglass. However I hated the lack of room and most of all being wet coming back in the afternoon against a bad wind. Actually came in wearing my dive wet suit and a mask and snorkel once. Also put a crack in the hull from overloading it on the trailer. My next boat was a boston whaler, a lot better than the Gregor. More speed and more seaworthy. But alas grew tired of still being wet. I now run a C-Dory. Very dry nice handling boat. I drive a 19', but they make a 16' that can easily be towed by your Jeep.
As far as outboards go... 4strokes are nice but they are heavy. I have 2 15hp motors for my inflatable. An 1980 Johnson and a 1999 Honda. I can barely hoist the Honda, but I can throw the Johnson over my shoulder. Watch the weight on the back of a can boat. More weight in the back can add other issues as well.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2010 at 02:30 PM

It's funny that you mentioned a Whaler. I just don't understand their hull design. They look just like a tri-hull which gives an ugly enough ride on a lake. I can't imagine the ride they would have in the ocean but some people seem to swear by them :?:

In Memory of E-57
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 08:14 PM

I guess I'm resurrecting this thread. Didn't see it till now. Well, here goes. I owned a 95 Baja 19' for ten years. Took it all over Baja, in all water conditions. It was a great boat, but it is very different from the 21' (2000 model - the last ones Valco built before going out of business and being bought by Klamath), which I have owned for the past six years. They look very similar and are the same design. But the 21' is a battleship compared to the 19'. It is bigger in every dimension. The 19' can be tippy and is much wetter when the wind comes up. Both of them have the wide gunnels that wrap all the way around the boat. These gunnels are awesome. You can sit or walk on them. You can lay down and take a nap on them. You can set things on them.

The main advantage of the 19' is it is a few hundred pounds lighter, it can be easily manhandled on the beach and trailer by one guy, and it gets better mileage due to the smaller outboard. And it is still very seaworthy. The 21', on the other hand, is very dry, even in a stiff wind. It does not tip nearly as much, although you still need to manage the weight in the boat. Bear in mind that the Bajas are very different than the regular Bayrunners. You definitely want the Baja, and it is worth the cost difference. I always hear about cracked bows. That occurs with the older Bayrunners, not the Bajas (as far as my experience goes). If you want a new one, the models being built by Klamath are MUCH better quality than the ones Valco built. Just take a look at the welds of each and the little details and you will see that much more time and effort goes into the new ones. But you definitely pay for those improvements as the new boats are pretty pricey. Both the 19' and 21' are bumpy in rough water and you will find yourself cursing to the wind when it starts slapping. You may also find 20' Bajas. These are essentially a 19' with a built in tank under the deck, which means the deck is taller, your center of gravity is higher, and it is a little more tippy. As I said, the 19' and 20' are MUCH smaller boats than the 21'.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos

The main advantage of the 19' is it is a few hundred pounds lighter, it can be easily manhandled on the beach and trailer by one guy

A 19 footer that can be easily manhandled by one guy?

I guess it's how you define manhandling a tin boat. To me that's dragging, carrying, or rolling the boat into water. The limit for the first 2 is about 13' and about 15' for rolling. My son and I manhandled a 14'5" tin boat last week - actually, to be honest, it manhandled us.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 09:44 AM

I have an older 16' Bayrunner/Westcoaster and I have a stupid question. Previous writers have said that they beach their boat in bad/windy conditions. I can't do that with my boat as anytime I beach it, waves will come in over the transom and slowly fill the boat. Bringing the boat in stern first will not work. Which leaves anchoring and swimming in. Any other way of safely beaching?
I'm getting experience but am still fairly new at this stuff. I realized that my boat can take quite a bit of wind chop but it is a bumpy ride and I do love that spray in the face, makes you feel alive but quickly takes away the beer buzz.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 10:51 AM
boats for baja

take a liviston for a ride and your see for yourself why its the best boat for baja...hands down...no ifs or butts about it....I like the 14 with a 25 2 stroke,pull start with the little steering conslole...32 winters down here and have tryed just about anything that will float...any questions.....email:captkw@hotmail.com.........OUT!! P.s. the 15.5 is awesome but a little much for a 21 yr volvo to tow...
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 12:08 PM

Got any photos of your 14 livingston?

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
take a liviston for a ride and your see for yourself why its the best boat for baja...hands down...no ifs or butts about it....I like the 14 with a 25 2 stroke,pull start with the little steering conslole...32 winters down here and have tryed just about anything that will float...any questions.....email:captkw@hotmail.com.........OUT!! P.s. the 15.5 is awesome but a little much for a 21 yr volvo to tow...

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 04:01 PM
little catermans

no, I dont have any with at present,Im down in B.C.S but when I get back to the states I can fire you off some....I now have a 18.5 and I love it but a little over kill for most of .....my fishing and I use it for SAR with the coatses and c.g.aux. I used to go out to the weather bouy out of santa cruz (25 miles) and drag for albies in the 14 and let the wind blow,, these boats eat it up..Ive seen alot of livingstons that are rigged totally WRONG!!!! keep it simple,balancd,light and no I dont sell them...and most dealers dont rigg them the right way. the 15.5 is perfect if you have a coulpe of fishing buddies,but I did small charters for yrs with a 14...3 guys max,need room for beer,beer,beer and the fish..but its great for 2...and most guys drive them like a mono,slowling down when it gets snoty...these like to ripp through they crap and dry,soft ride and very stable...MY northen home is santa cruz calif and if anyone wants to go catch some salmon or big white seabass or whatever is biting, give me a land line after april 1st I should be back from baja (831)469-2650 p.s. I towed a 14 down to panama and back, but thats a story for a camp fire!!!:cool:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 04:12 PM

A good Lund is pretty much bulletproof these days. They are delivered to Far North fly-in-only fishing lodges by lashing them to the pontoons of float planes and dropped down onto the lake with a mighty SPLASH!

Always exciting to watch a delivery. Grab a few cold LaBatts and a lakeside chair.

Sometimes the pilot misjudges the wind drift..and there goes a section of dock. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2011 at 06:54 PM

Skipjack Joe...I guess I should have added that I'm 6'5" and 240lbs. By manhandle, I mean move the boat on and off the trailer at low tide and hold the boat on the beach with waves and wind pushing it. I could do it with the 19'. No such luck with the 21'.

Martyman...My wife and I used to camp at Punta Chivato a lot and we endured more than a few big storms. Several times my boat was on anchor when the storm came up in the middle of the night. My only option, other than watching it get pounded in the surf, was to swim out and run it up on the beach. I did that several times and in the morning I would get some help to dig it out and float it back out. No damage to the hull or outboard. I definitely wouldn't recommend that as standard procedure but it worked. Full speed ahead, trim up outboard and turn it off just before hitting the beach, and hope for the best! Man...those early days of camping at PC were great!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.