Author: Subject: BAJA ROAD - Present Dangers - BIkers And Joggers
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery
Pompano -
Very good information and worthy caution. I too have biked PCH with the log trucks and find the Transpeninsular Highway much safer. A few of us in the Mulege area enjoy biking (walkers and joggers, too) along the Bahia Concepcion and are well aware of the dangers. Our friends think we have a death wish. We keep our eyes and ears alert, but also feel comfortable during the long gaps in passing traffic. Drivers in Baja are more accustomed to looking out for animals in the road, broken down vehicles, road hazards, etc. so a person sharing the road walking, jogging, riding a bike is not a surprising sight. And unlike the U.S., the drivers do not react with rage when we share the road with them. The truckers are really great. And I show them my appreciation by pulling off the road where possible to avoid potential problems near curves or other tight places. With the right attitude and defensive techniques, riding bike is no more dangerous than driving and a lot more pleasurable.
Having said all this, there are times to avoid the road. Some of these are: during the Baja 1000 rally week, during Semana Santa and extra caution during February when a lot of caravans of RVs come down -- yikes! Gringos feel the highway is for vehicles only and don't really know how to drive their rigs (or why would they be in a caravan??).

I can only speak as an expert on my own 'opinion', but in 40 years of driving the old trail, plus the highway since it was first laid past my place in 1972-73...I will say that the safest drivers I ever encountered were almost always 'gringo' RVers of some sort..whether big coaches or VW flower wagons.
'
The very worst drivers are still out there..Mexican nationals all drive..or would like to drive...like Parnelli Jones. Truckers are truckers everywhere..and the bad apples ruin that barrel for all. Driving too long hours, taking speed to stay awake, passing in dangerous areas, etc..the list is legion.

Gringo drivers are for the most part out to make the most of thier vacation time...and don't want to waste it in an accident event. IMO.

In what is soon approacing rount trip number 150 I have seen far too many fatalaties on The Baja Road. Dozens. Multiple deathes more than enough. I have lost 5 good friends on the Baja Road since 1973. The last was Marty Robison of Mulege, who was killed by a young national who was reckless in speeding around a corner..and we lost a fine friend.

I was eyewitness to a recent single car rollover who had swerved way too wide to bypass a bicycle south of Sta Rosalia 2 Novembers ago. I saw the oncoming SUV swerve very erractic and then lost control..spinning off the road and rolling multiple times before his daughter was tossed out the window like a rag doll...killing her of course.

I will never forget the high pitched screaming of her mother as she pulled herself from the wreckage and ran to pick up her child. The SOB driver, a drunken father, was unfortunately okay in the driver's seat. He was oblivious to what mayhem he had created. I was tempted to make him a 'fatality after the fact'...

Anyway, please do not paint all gringo with the same brush....almost all who make it this far from Waterloo, Iowa are pretty damn good drivers. :rolleyes:

Bajalera..tsk,tsk...beer on the road?...not for me.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 03:41 PM

It seems to me like the most unsafe drivers down here are Mexicans with new cars, they seem to think they are invincible.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 04:30 PM

A good test of a good driver. See how far back he tailgates at open highway speeds, most importantly curves. If his vehicle is closer than 5 car lengths to the one in front...try to stay as far away from the homicide as possible.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 06:54 PM

Yes, Pompano, beer on the road--but only the old one. I drove its length three times (once in a '68 Mustang Fastback), getting in all only one flat tire, incurred by taking to the trail-less boonies to avoid some guys working on the highway.

Viva Pacifico!

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Yes, Pompano, beer on the road--but only the old one. I drove its length three times (once in a '68 Mustang Fastback), getting in all only one flat tire, incurred by taking to the trail-less boonies to avoid some guys working on the highway.

Viva Pacifico!

Lee, please write us the story of the Mustang in Baja trip... It is amazing how you were able to climb the Aguajito grade or cross the Chapala dust bowl!!! The other amazing thing on the old road was the high crown between the pair of ruts and anything low would need to drive with one side of the car on the center crown and the other on the side of the rut... Had to do that with my Subaru on any of the ungraded Baja roads.

Any photos? But, the story... please!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Yackie

[*] posted on 12-14-2010 at 10:02 PM

Good for you health "nuts", personally think it is incredibly risky biking the baja, cuz guess what, me in one lane, vehicle in oncoming lane, biker ahead of me, now way am I swerving, guess who loses? We have actually seen bikers close to dark, (we never drive at full night) riding the Mex1, blind curves etc, the biker is ALWAYS gonna lose. Be careful out there!!
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2010 at 12:36 PM

Pompano-
No, I do not paint all gringos with the same brush and maybe should not single out gringos at all. Many drivers on holiday let their minds go on holiday, too. I should have said that the organized caravans of RVers that number 20 or more make it a nuisance for many other drivers and it becomes less safe to be on the road.
My condolences for your lost friends. I can only hope it doesn't happen again.

As to -------------------------------------------------------------------
"Good for you health "nuts", personally think it is incredibly risky biking the baja, cuz guess what, me in one lane, vehicle in oncoming lane, biker ahead of me, now way am I swerving, guess who loses?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah, I know people think we have a death wish, but you do know that the roads are not interstates and you do have brakes on your car. You be careful out there. We have to be.
sharktooth
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2010 at 05:39 PM

biking the Baja Highway 1 is like kayaking through a major international shipping port

Sh#t happens, but it makes great fertilizer

Adventure Mexican Insurance Services
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 09:09 AM

I drove down to LA Bay for the races last month. I drive an F-250 which takes up a bit of space. Of course, I came across at least 6 bikers spread out over a mile or two in the worst places possible, with truck traffic coming in the opposite direction. More than once I slammed the brakes so I wouldn't be passing the bikes and the trucks at the same time, because it "just don't fit" (shades of OJ). The next day in town I was visiting the pits and I ran across a gringo local with an attractive woman. It was obvious he was showing her around. I got into a conversation and learned she was one of the kooks on the bikes. I asked her if she said "I love you" to all her loved ones at home before she left. She was confused, so I told her how many times drivers like me barely miss them on their bikes. She was completely oblivious to the whole issue. Just couldn't understand or didn't care for the conversation. And I was really being nice (turned on all my manly charm).
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 11:51 AM

I'm tempted to make a retraction... maybe I should single out gringos. There are many that think bicycles shouldn't share the road at all. Cars/trucks reign supreme. But I think one statement won't make any difference.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 12:29 PM

As I have said before------it is the difference in speed that is the problem. We don't let horse-drawn wagons (or pedestrians) on our interstates because they would disrupt traffic, and thereby potentially cause accidents. It is just common courtesy to me--------Bicyclists disrupt traffic, and cause motor-vehicle operators incredible stress and consternation on a narrow highway that was never intended for non-motor vehicle traffic..

Why is that so hard to understand??

Barry
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 03:15 PM

Where are people supposed to go if there is only 1 road? In the US, where there are no other roads, bicycles are allowed on the interstate highways. Mexico does not consider Hwy. 1 a high speed highway and post that, because there are free range animals, narrow lanes, little shoulder, nasty curves. So, it is the responsibility of all drivers to drive defensively (and should do so always); anyone who shares the highway needs to exercise due caution. Seeing the world at 10mph or 5mph is a lovely experience instead of zooming by.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 03:52 PM

It's a problem, I will admit.

But I do think that folks on bicycles should try and be accomodating as much as feasible, and not ride in a deliberate manner knowing they are interfering with motor traffic. Those are the one's that send me thru the roof!!! like riding 2 or 3 abreast effectively blocking the entire lane. It happens, believe me, but rarely thank Gawd.

Veh. drivers should be equally sensitive, but it is not easy and sure slows you down, which is irritating to say the least.

I feel the problem is only going to get worse, unfortunately.

My Uncle, who taught me to drive, always said, "It is easier for a pedestrian to move over or stop than a 2000 lb vehicle----always remember that and act accordingly when you are walking". That statement really hit home and always made me sensitive to drivers, and to give cars and trucks (and bikes) the right-of-way not-with-standing what the "law" is, for obvious reasons. "Car vs man or bike, bike and man loses every time". :light:

Barry
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 03:58 PM

It sounds like we are circling back in on the original post. I'm happy to leave it at that.
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 04:15 PM

Our recent trip to Cabo & back during Nov. & lst part of Dec caused us much concern & frustration. We passed many bikes going south & north (the bikes were all going south). some were mexican riders outfitted in their 'garb' The others were 'visitors' via their camping stuff all over their bikes. No close calls. We travel with a very complete first aid kit. In the 24 years we've been traveling in Baja, never had to use it. (time I guess to replace some of the items with new) Wife commented on one group of four bikers, where she saw the look on the female rider who was bringing up the rear. She said it was a combination of "peeed off" and shear terror on her face. If it's a girl friend, I bet that will be over before they return 'home'. If it's a wife, I bet there will be some nice trip to either Florida or Hawaii on their next vacation, or divorce.
I just can't figure out anyone wanting to subject a love one to the huge exposure of accident or death by riding bikes on Hwy 1??????? different strokes for different folks certainly applies here. BUT, how nice it is to not be swerving all over the road missing pot holes, from when we were first driving back in the late 80's & 90's. And the numerous times I can remember about to pass a freight truck, and I'm with my signal on, and flashing my headlights to get his attention, and about to accelerate, when he suddenly would swerve into the left lane, missing a pot hole deep enough to hide a Volkswagon or a washout in the side of the right lane.!!!!!! I think many of the old timers can remember "those days"!!!!! At the rate the gov't is widening the roads, it just might be widened all the way down the thousand miles by the end of 2019 (well, I can dream can't I?)
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2010 at 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I will say that the safest drivers I ever encountered were almost always 'gringo' RVers of some sort..whether big coaches or VW flower wagons.
'
The very worst drivers are still out there..Mexican nationals all drive..or would like to drive...like Parnelli Jones. Truckers are truckers everywhere..and the bad apples ruin that barrel for all. Driving too long hours, taking speed to stay awake, passing in dangerous areas, etc..the list is legion.

Gringo drivers are for the most part out to make the most of thier vacation time...and don't want to waste it in an accident event. IMO.

In what is soon approacing rount trip number 150 I have seen far too many fatalaties on The Baja Road. Dozens. Multiple deathes more than enough. I have lost 5 good friends on the Baja Road since 1973. The last was Marty Robison of Mulege, who was killed by a young national who was reckless in speeding around a corner..and we lost a fine friend.

Anyway, please do not paint all gringo with the same brush....almost all who make it this far from Waterloo, Iowa are pretty damn good drivers. :rolleyes:

Bajalera

Bajalera..tsk,tsk...beer on the road?...not for me.

Pompano
As I stated on the last "I hate bicycles on MY Baja Road"
thread a few weeks back, I have enjoyed the Baja road from both the seat of a vehicle as well as the seat of a bicycle. I can state unequivocally that on the Transpeninsular Highway, the average gringo driver is much much less concerned about the safety of a bicycle rider than is the average Mexican driver. Mexican truckers were among the most curteous drivers I encountered on my bike trip.

I also agree with your assessment that gringo drivers are concerned about their vacation time, but disagree with the effect this has on many of them. Far from being concerned about accident avoidance, too many of us drive the Transpeninsular as if we thought we were qualified to race in the Le Man's. As I mentioned in the previous thread on this subject, there isn't a section of the Baja Highway (toll roads excluded) on which it is legal to drive faster than 80KMP, or around 50MPH. At that speed, bicycles would be much easier to deal with.

Just one more point, which I made last time, too. As dangerous of an undertaking as riding a bike down Baja appears to be to most of us, I think the dangers are greatly exaggerated. Otherwise, where are all of the reports of bicycle accidents and dead riders? Based on the empirical evidence available, it seems hard not to conclude that riding a bicycle down the peninsula must be one of the safest means of travel in these parts.

About Bajalera's comment, she was obviously referring to driving on the really old Baja Road, as in the pre-pavement days. The reference to the average speed being driven was a dead giveaway.

[Edited on 12-20-2010 by Bajatripper]
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 02:35 PM

Hallelujah.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
As I mentioned in the previous thread on this subject, there isn't a section of the Baja Highway (toll roads excluded) on which it is legal to drive faster than 80KMP, or around 50MPH.

Didn't someone mention somewhere that parts of the Tecate Road, HWY-3, are posted at 110 KPH?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 03:32 PM

The 'Baja Highway' is Mex. #1... perhaps that is it?

The new wider, 2 lane road north of San Felipe is also 110 kph (Mex. #5)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

burnrope
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2010 at 05:56 PM

Coyotes and vultures need to eat too.

[Edited on 12-21-2010 by burnrope]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.