Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: New Tires for Tacoma Today: Hankook Dynapros
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 11:12 AM

Hey DK, what psi are you running? and do you haul a heavy load?

BFG rugged trails suck
BFG T/A KO Good, quite
Goodyear Wrangler Authority - Last long , good offroad, looks good, noisy
Nitto Terra Grappler , short life, soft, quite, good offroad

265 70 17
bajaking76
Nomad

Mood: If Baja calls, I am home.

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 12:35 PM

Hey DK,
Where did you find this deal, I have to replace the tires on my Tundra prior to the trip to Turtle bay later this year.
Any suggestions? I have stock 255/70 R18. I haven't had any luck finding some descent prices in this size..:(.Sears is so far the best deal at $180 a pc. :no:

\"That\'s my thing, that\'s what I do\"
\"Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!\"
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
So....I think I get part of this: BFG "Rugged Trail" tires that are original equipment on the Toyota are junk...duh!....and duh!...that is SOP. But I am confused about David's statement that he has seen too many failures in tires that "advertise a 3 ply side wall." So advertising is bad....duh!...I get it. But David, how many failures have you seen on BFG T/As with 3 ply side walls...advertised or not.

BTW...I am on my 8th!! set of those things and I have never had so much as bump.

BB :-)

Plenty... the sidewall failures were all on All Terrain TA's... I was with Amo Pescar on his truck's first Baja trip with brand new All Terrain TAs... sidewall rip... on a sandy road (no rocks around... He and Neal Johns had to put multiple tire plugs to try and seal it, so we would have a spare the rest of the trip. Ask Ken Cooke who also was dismayed by BFG All Terrain failures seen on the trail.

For most folks it is a great tire... but the sidewall construction is not bulletproof when it comes to failures off road. They are also overpriced compared to others... and that is probably to pay for all the advertising?

My wife had a CJ-5 Jeep and it had All Terrains on it, and she LOVED them... so this is a divided house! LOL

I am glad you and others like them... nothing wrong with your joy, at all.:light:

[Edited on 2-18-2011 by David K]

I will have to agree with you DK about the BFG All-Terrains. I've have had several sets in the past and have had several sidewall problems. It is a known problem with that model of tire..... Now, for offroad, I only run the BFG Baja T/A. It is a very impressive tire!

Seems like I repeat myself on this same subject every so often.

2 sidewall blowouts personally experienced by me on BFG All-Terrain's was enough.

I believe that many teams running BFG A-T's in the 1993 Baja 1000 blew their tires out on the beginning stretch of highway right after the start (and pretty much ONLY teams running BFG at that). This seems to have been information that's been swept under the rug pretty well. In 1994, they didn't use as much highway at the start of the Baja Mil - I presume partially because of this. Both these starts were in Mexicali btw.

Unlike DK, when I found something that worked, and worked, and worked for me... I stuck with it - still today. That would be Bridgestone A/T's. YMMV of course depending on many factors like vehicle size, weight, tire size, PSI, etc.

-
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 01:07 PM

Doug... can you find a better compare tires chart that includes the type of tire I just got?

Also, if I had to... I would go back to the Cooper Discoverer ATR or Toyo Open Country AT which I had on my '05 Taco. I am always looking for better performance, and the only way I can tell is actual use in Baja and the desert, etc. I also read what other Tacoma drivers have reported... Nobody had anything other than good things to say about the Dynapro ATm RF10s...

By-the-way, since you own a Tacoma... there is a Tacoma run out from Pine Valley tomorrow morning... They are a really nice group (SoCal Tacomas) and I did one other run with them a few months ago.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBajaKid
Hey DK, what psi are you running? and do you haul a heavy load?

BFG rugged trails suck
BFG T/A KO Good, quite
Goodyear Wrangler Authority - Last long , good offroad, looks good, noisy
Nitto Terra Grappler , short life, soft, quite, good offroad

265 70 17

I just got them on yesterday afternoon and drove less than 2 miles to my home... I am going to start trying them at 35 psi.

No, I usually only have my irrigation parts and tools in my truck... Only time it gets heavy is for a trip to Baja with gear and two ice chests...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaking76
Hey DK,
Where did you find this deal, I have to replace the tires on my Tundra prior to the trip to Turtle bay later this year.
Any suggestions? I have stock 255/70 R18. I haven't had any luck finding some descent prices in this size..:(.Sears is so far the best deal at $180 a pc. :no:

At the closest place to my home actually! Oceanside Tire and Auto (College and Hwy. 76, near Henry's Market). This was after I shopped at two Discount Tire stores (each gave me diffeerent answers and prices!), and Express tire store and an idependent tire place on Emerald in Vista.

As I said before... I can say good things about Toyo and Cooper models named... time will tell on these Hankooks. I did have someone I know with a Tundra swear by the Falkins he got (Wild Peaks?)...

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 03:16 PM

I am a fan of BFG All Terraign TA KO's, as I have said often on this board. I have 3 4x4 vehicles, all with BFG KO's on them. Never had a side-wall cut with the TA KO's---ever. I am wondering if this has more to do with wheel width, than the tire? I was just out looking at my TA KO's and noticed that they have really beefy shoulders, and it would be really difficult for anything to actually get to the sidewalls----the sidewalls are just not vulnerable on my vehicles. Then I noticed that I have rather narrow rims that all of my KO's are mounted on------this of course draws in the sidewalls, making them almost non-exposed to anything on the ground like rocks and staubs of wood, cactus, etc. Wide rims always give better sand flotation, but you do expose your sidewalls to damage with wide rims so I have avoided them. This may at least partially explain why some folks have trouble with BFG TA KO's, and not others.

Just a thought. (this has probably been discussed before)

Barry
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegejim
Quote:
Originally posted by bajatravelergeorge
I just put a set of yokohama geolander at-s on my 4x4 ford escape. I'll provide reviews as well.

I think you will like them - I have a set on my 2005 Tacoma and really like them. I don't do much off roading, however, I have a friend in Mulege who does and he says the Geolanders are much better than the original factory tires. Jim
I have the Geolanders on my F350 and they seem to be holding up much better than the Nitto Terra Grapplers that I had before.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:26 PM

Highway report... Just drove about 60 miles today and can report that the Dynapros are QUIET on the highway!

Tomorrow the mud (and maybe snow) test, unless the run is cancelled!!??

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 05:58 PM

I completely agree with with Barry A...if you protect the side walls with the shoulders of the KOs I don't see much chance of them puncturing. Also, as I've said, I've been in and our to That Road south of Puertecitos with my BFG TA KO Baja tires for about 10 years...sharp rocks and all..and never had so much as an abrasion on them....ditto a bunch of good buddies.

BB
TheBajaKid
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:06 PM

Puertecitos south has eatin every brand tire thats dared to travel it. lol
Damn sharp rocks. One went in my bfg had the tire shop at rancho grande put an inside patch on it when they took it off the rim a sharp rock the size of a lighter fell out
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:08 PM

Soon those 'glory days' of Baja will be but a memory:no:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBajaKid
Puertecitos south has eatin every brand tire thats dared to travel it. lol
Damn sharp rocks. One went in my bfg had the tire shop at rancho grande put an inside patch on it when they took it off the rim a sharp rock the size of a lighter fell out

Yep-------the "right rock" will puncture ANY tire!!! I always drive slowly and WATCH for those sharp rocks------it seems to help. :lol:

Barry
luckyone

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 06:14 PM

I just put 4 new Hankooks on my car which is a high performance luxury car.
Bought them stateside and all 4 cost me $400. Hankook is a fine brand, Korean. If I had bought a more popular name brand they would have cost at least double....
who cares if they last 30k miles and not 40k? anyway, if you're in mexico, no matter how good of a brand, you're still going to **ck them up in the crappy potholed ridden streets. :no:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Ask Ken Cooke who also was dismayed by BFG All Terrain failures seen on the trail.

I stopped running BFGs for this reason. They are expensive to replace, IMO.

Congrats on the tires, David! As you know, I run the Interco TrXus MT. A great tire for Baja, but their prices have SKYROCKETED lately - from $140/tire in '03 to $225/tire in '11. That's normal for a 33"x12.5"r15, but for that price, I am going to try the new Goodyear MTR/K instead.

Intero TrXus MT w/Black Rock D909 15x8" Wheel

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 11:57 PM

The tires passed the mud and snow test today with flying colors... I am very happy with these Dynapros, so far!

Before:

During:

After:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 2-20-2011 at 12:00 AM

This tire earned high marks in a recent review in one of my 4WD magazines. Where did you encounter the snow?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2011 at 12:06 AM

Above Pine Valley (San Diego County, off I-8)... See ALL the photos posted (so far) on TacomaWorld.com here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/southern-california/141035-...

[Edited on 2-20-2011 by David K]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-20-2011 at 07:02 AM
it's an old but very true addage, especially

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
there is no such thing as good and cheap. They are mutually exclusive.

Price, service, quality - pick any combination of 2 out of the 3.

mikey:
your 2 statements don't agree. which are you standing by? does your statement apply to all things in life or just tires?

in relation to const and development - but can apply to products:

the 3 variables are low price, high quality and excellent service.

you can usually obtain any combination of 2 of the 3 but rarely can have all 3 simultaneously. So - one might decide which of the 3 he is willing to sacrifice in deferrence to having the others.

one example might be shopping at Walmart - you get low price and excellent service but the quality is poor.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-20-2011 at 08:00 AM

aren't these hanKOOK tires made in south korea...are ANY tires made in america anymore

sorry david i couldn't resist:O

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.