BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: They're at it again, they want to commercialize the Dorado!
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GordoyFeo
toma notas. No quieron que nuestros gente pescan nuestros peces.
Solos ellos de Baja tienen derechos a nuestros dorados.

Good luck but Mexico doesn't give a hoot about Baja, never has never will, jmho of course.

http://seawatch.org/en/Resource-Library/75/pistoleros-are-ki...

toma notas, chinga sus madres nuestros "lideres" estan usando los marginalizados para coninuar su traicion, la peninsula magnifico es casi lo unico esperanza que tiene la gente de esta pais, puede ser un ejemplo para todos, estos P-nches ladrones que chupan de la teta del dinero de contribuyente, el petrolio y de narco estan quitando todo los oportunidades que la gente nunca van a realizar, son corruptos pueden quemar en el inferno y voy a miar sobre sus tombas y tiro pedos en su direccion en general
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 06:46 PM

:spingrin:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:34 PM

Saludos Pam. Buena suerte.

carpe diem!
TheColoradoDude
Nomad

Mood: Paz, Amor, y Tacos de Pescado

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 07:58 PM

Hello,

I encourage you to get in touch with Vince Radice. He lives in San Carlos in the Mexican state of Sonora. He is a strong activist against the commercialization of Dorado. He has some very valuable information. Here is a link with a video about his work.

http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum2/9587.html
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2011 at 09:08 PM

We'll be thinking about Francisco tomorrow, sending good thoughts--
Paula and Don
GordoyFeo

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
tiro pedos en su direccion en general

:lol: Suete al Cuervo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBUl7oT9sA

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GordoyFeo
Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
tiro pedos en su direccion en general

:lol: Suete al Cuervo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWBUl7oT9sA

YOU got it! I am a Monty Python fan from way back and proudly know most of the words to Quest for the Holy Grail.

Thanks for the kindness and the thoughts, they may still be in the meeting and I'll find out how they did not from my husband but from Minerva.

Also Vince and I have known each other since he put out his dorado film in august 2009. When I responded to it, he immediately phoned me, never expected that. His Thassala France TV3 film was dubbed into Spanish and shown at this meeting, would like to have been a fly on the wall and seen the faces on Ramon Corral and the dips and sens when they saw Mr. Botello take the bait the French dudes fed him, maaan that was good! Vince didn't go for the same reason that I didn't go, we are gringos with bad Spanish accents and they would have thrown rotten coconuts at our faces if we got up there and made any presentation. That wasn't the venue for us in particular. We did meet and dine with a real live diputado from Veracruz in Cabo when this forum took place there, we also both presented and he filmed all of it. Dunno what he did with the film. By the way Robin Wade who authors for WON has really been a good ear to listen to me and gather information about these goings on, she wants to put out the word too. Vince and I are working on something that we'll announce soon, that everyone with an interest in fishing in English or Spanish will check into daily. comin' soon gotta run, thanks all!

for all of you who want to adhere to the law and want some laffs, here's Monty Python's "Fish License"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 02:01 PM

Courage! Hang tuff! Dig in and swing away.:D
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 04:55 PM
SOUNDS LIKE SPORTFISHING JUST WON!!!!!

(in my e-mail a few minutes ago!)

Hola Vince and Pam:

I just spoke with the team from BCS and Enrique said it went great! The FORO was 2 to 1 in favor of Sport fishing and 1/3 in favor of the INICIATIVA.
Enrique said they did so well that the Diputado Leon Perrea who is seeking to commercialize the Dorado actually said, "well sport fishing won this round"
They are happy and on their way to Guadalajara and will talk more when they arrive tomorrow. Enrique also mentioned that Jesus Valdez did a very nice ponencia too!

Okay more to follow tomorrow,

Minerva
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 05:13 PM

oh that is just fantastic Pam...worth a celebratory c-cktail!!! way to go everyone...the prayers helped!!!! Let's hope to win the next rounds or knock em out!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 05:29 PM

The sports fishing won this one? No, this win was for the Dorado and all the panga fishermen that fish the Sea of Cortez. :bounce:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2011 at 05:39 PM

From the video I got the impression that sportfishing had won long ago. The commercial guys just aren't paying any attention to it.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 08:45 AM

Video? what video? the "fish license" video? well if you liked that you'll LOVE this one

Monty Python: Confuse a Cat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Je1CEPkUM
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 09:05 AM

"Foozle a Funcionario"
"Sedate a Senador"
"Embriol an Inginero"
"Muddle a middleman"
"Puzzle a Politico"
etc.

jeezus I think it may work!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2011 at 01:52 PM

This just in from Robin Wade and it looks like things went very well. The next thing everyone needs to do is to click on the link for the survey and get your information listed. This is really important if you want your voice to be heard. Robin is doing a great job at Western Outdoor News and has her ear to the ground in terms of what is going on in Baja.

Saturday, May 21, 2011
Mexico wins conservation battle
Commercial vs. recreational dorado deal 'done'

BY ROBIN WADE

WON Staff Writer

CABO SAN LUCAS-- In a long drawn out battle between the commercial and sportfishing industries, yesterday in Michoacán, Mexico, the government met in a third round of public forums to decide the fate of the sportfishing industry but amending Article 68. Guess what-we won!

“The Department of Mexican Fisheries decided to violate their own laws by allowing the commercial fishing industry to illegally harvest dorado,” Vince Radice, producer of the El Oro de Cortez (The Gold of Cortez) documentary said. You may remember WON ran an article about the video depicting the greed and corruption of a few, helping to destroy the last relatively abundant fish in the Sea of Cortes. If you missed it, here is a link to the latest version http://sancarlos.tv/portfolio/a-fish-made-of-gold/

“Twenty five years ago, some far-sighted Mexican legislators decided that tourism and sportfishing jobs were more sustainable and lucrative than commercial fishing jobs and created Article 68 in the general law of the Mexican fisheries,” Radice said. “This made it illegal to commercially fish six species of fish in Mexico; sailfish, marlin, roosterfish, swordfish, sabalo, and dorado.”

The less than stellar oversight of the commercial fishermen’s efforts created a decline in their catches and they turned their attention to the wanton take of dorado. There is a very lucrative, illegal market in the United States for them and both governments seemed to look the other way.

“I have filed a Freedom of Information Act with NOAA through lawyers from the Center for Biological Diversity out of San Franciscoto receive documents regarding their investigations related to dorado crossing into the U.S.,” Radice said. “Once we have these documents we will know what our options are against the U.S. Feds. and make America close the border to dorado imports. They have to enforce the Lacey Act as long as Article 68 remains intact.”

It’s long and complicated but the jest of it is there were “language loop holes” based on the fact that in some areas, there is no enforcement available, and given the bad economy, “needy commercial fishermen” werelegally allowed to fish for dorado. What the findings turned up during the public forums though, was that only a few (and none of the needy) were benefiting from the loop holes.

So onto Friday’s victory! Victory number one: Based on his “poor performance,” the Fisheries Commission voted to request Federal Legislators to ask Ramon Corral, Head of the National Commission of Fisheries to step down.

Victory number two: After hearing testimony and presentations regarding the alleged “economical benefits of commercial dorado take” to the coastal communities, it was determined that only a few were reaping any rewards from NOM 029 and the words “social justification” were stripped from the amendment.

“This victory is truly amazing considering we only heard of the forum two weeks ago,” Minerva Saenz, President of the Los Cabos Sportfishing Union said. “Representation from many distant areas of Mexico rallied together with a single e-mail, and attended the forum creating an incredible united front against the commercialization of dorado. In attendance were sportfishing leaders from Manzanillo, Culiacan, Loreto, the East Cape, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico City and many other areas,” Saenz said.

Of the many representatives there Friday, 85 percent voted in favor of supporting the sportfishing industry over the commercial industry. “It's a well deserved victory for all of Mexico’s sportfishing interests, anglers from everywhere, boat owners, charter companies, airlines, hotels, marinas, fuel docks, and an endless list of trickle down benefits,” Cortez Yacht Charters said.

Anglers are reminded there are still ways to continue to protect Mexico’s sportfishing. One is to go online and take the national survey called “Angler Economic Survey” after they return from trips here. These statistics will be compiled to scientifically prove the importance of the angler dollar. http://surveys.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=1751677&a...

And before you come down if anywhere in the state of Baja Sur is your destination, don’t buy your license online. Baja Sur is the only state in Mexico where a special Marina Resources fund (FORMA) is set up. This special “pool of funds” allows the licensing money to stay within the state for resource management and funding marine law enforcement, such as gas for patrols. Every area has licenses available locally, usually through your outfitter, so please consider this option when you can.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2011 at 02:37 PM

Would it be safe to assume that Corral stepping down might be bigger, better news than the defeat of the bill?

I'll alert all the fishermen in this area about the victory. It truly is a great day for the fishery and we all owe a debt of thanks to those who went to the ends of the earth to make a proper argument and won the day.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 12:10 AM

I'm with Skipjack Joe.

What have we really won? The commercials ignore the existing law. The existing law hasnt changed.

Corral may be gone. But Corral hasnt been in office for the entire 25 years that Article 68 has been on the books. These species have been commercially fished for 25 years. Will his successor be any different than his predecessors?

I'm cautiously optimistic, I guess. But even that's hard when you fish Saturday and are already running into long lines that are loaded with dorado and marlin.

BTW, why should we target license monies to Baja CA Sur IF, as some claim, the majority of the violations are from the mainland? That seems counterproductive to me.

[Edited on 5-23-2011 by Hook]

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 06:42 AM

Some of your posts, like this one, seem counterproductive to me.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 08:03 AM

You didnt like my version of Imagine, either, I guess. :biggrin: After reading it again, I guess some people may have interpreted it as being against the cause. It most certainly was not, as I intended it.

I just dont think this is the time to celebrate. Wont there be another vote in Mazatlan later that could still overturn this Article?

That's why I'm cautiously optimistic.

That survey is REALLY important. And this new website that Pam and others are working on will be REALLY important.

What about the logic of fees going to BCS, Osprey? WILL BCS fees be used to police all the way over here IF that's where the problem is?

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 08:13 AM

No use b-tching about where the fees go. I believe Fonmar is making a difference all over Mexican waters but:

Travel club license money goes to DF
Tackle shop money goes to DF
Perhaps Conapesca online money goes to DF

When Mexico runs out of licenses (often) (one time for almost 2.5 years) fishermen were forced to buy licenses previously sold to the travel clubs by Mexico and that money, for certain, goes to DF.

It's like asking "Does Nebraska license money all go to help Nebraska fisheries? Is it money well spent? Are they effective, honest?"

Best we can do is support Mexico's efforts, when and where we can, cross our fingers and toes, hold good thoughts, drink more Pacificos.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.