[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
5 Guys is great, when there isn't an In-n-Out near

You prefer In-N-out to 5 Guys? :O

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 05:19 PM

In 'n Out should be the name of a Laxitive.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 05:33 PM
OMG! kDennis You Just Made Me Laugh Out Loud at My Keynoard

And, thankfully, I wasn't sipping coffee.

Do you remember the bumper stickers in CA that were altered to to say "In-N-Out Urge"?

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Kalypso
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
we usually ended up at smaller ma and pa restaurants in the Ocean Beach area. They have 1 amazing burger place, 1 great Italian sub place, 1 very cool coffee shop. Should anyone be interested, U2U me and I will divulge the names but

okay, i'll guess.

burger joint=Hodad's
sub shop=Poma's
coffee shop=:barf:

edit: OB, Point Loma and the one by the main post office are gone. they came back to the same spot in OB a few years ago but couldn't make it.

2 outta 3 aint bad!

[Edited on 6-18-2011 by woody with a view]

You guys are a hoot talkin' about food in San Diego :biggrin:

I think the coffe shop is Java Jungle (or maybe it's Jungle Java, I almost always get is backwards :rolleyes:)

Qwiggs and Cecil's are long gone. Hodad's is kicking a**. They just opened a new store downtown close to Petco Park. Hodads Downtown

Newport has tons of restaurants and A LOT of bars these days. Azucar the Cuban bakery is great, there's a drug store mid-block with a deli in it that makes good indepxensive sandwiches. Portugese place that no one understands how it stays in business, crappy greek and chinese, so-so Mexican, tho' the rolled tacos at Nico's are pretty good. Eat at Nati's at your own risk.

Shades and Poms still rock. Cattycorner from Poms is a really great little wine bar called The Vine; it's how OB does wine...good food, decent wine, laid back wait staff.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 05:44 PM

I have been to Philippe's about a hundred times, and have never had a french dip. We were always there at 6 am. You have to get the biscuits and gravy in the morning, with your eggs. It was one of the good things about working downtown all those years.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
5 Guys is great, when there isn't an In-n-Out near

You prefer In-N-out to 5 Guys? :O

I like the burgers at 5 guys and In-n-Out, but the Minister of Finance and Director of Family Happiness likes the fries at In-n-Out........

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Do you remember the bumper stickers in CA that were altered to to say "In-N-Out Urge"?

Not on my car. :lol:
jenny.navarrette
Banned

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
In 'n Out should be the name of a Laxitive.

Shouldn't that be "Out 'n Out"?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Shouldn't that be "Out 'n Out"?

:lol::lol::lol:
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
You got a many places in the past that brings back good ol times. Thanks for that!

This place is legend. You know of it? I have been going there since I was 3 years old.

Legendary it is. My favorite is the lamb dip sandwich with blue cheese!!!

Ken
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 11:31 AM

Ah Yes, college days and boilweavel with pitcher beer that everybody lost count of how many we had,LOL. Though we seemed to always get someone to be our driver that did not like beer so more for us and safe ride home. WE also looked for all of the weekend bar free food as you drink beer to off set the cost of actually buying dinner and in those days 75cent draft or $1.75 draft pitcher beer was easy to find, OH YEA!!
Now, I like the "CheeseCake Factory," In Otay Lakes for their Cuban Sandwich or any of their burgers all good, Yes their beer is also very cold---Some things never change just less of it,LOL. Take Care & Travel Safe---"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 11:57 AM
Who's the tough oner here?

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
You got a many places in the past that brings back good ol times. Thanks for that!

This place is legend. You know of it? I have been going there since I was 3 years old.

Legendary it is. My favorite is the lamb dip sandwich with blue cheese!!!

Ken

The dips were fantastic......double dip was a must. Slapping on that hot mustard......wow!

Now....the pickled pigs feet were to die for! yes....I said pig's feet!

All this .......eating on a common table with saw dust on the floors. Gods.....they dont make joints like this anymore.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 12:30 PM

Booweevil - home of the half pound steerburger!

All this talk of burgers made us head down to 5 guys in PB for a try. Got a double bacon cheeseburger grilled onions pickles. They need to 'beef' up the buns because the thing came apart before I was half way thru. It was tasty but I would take an In-n-Out next time. Hoodad's in OB still numero uno in this area for burger IMEO. :smug:

Philippe's is the best. My grandfather started a family owned a business on Verdugo road in 1931 and I grew up going to Philippe's. I remember the $1.99 complete breakfast and the 5 cent cup of coffee. I remember going there as a kid and seeing strange looking folks who turned out to be circus performers and workers who would meet there monthly for lunch. In the 70's I would go there with my gramps and we would be served by ladies that he had been served by for 30 plus years and knew him by name. Whenever we would go to Chavez Ravine we would always stop and get some sandwiches to take to the game and everyone who sat by us would ask where did you get that! Now I have customer's in the area and I get to eat there at least once a month. Lamb and blue cheese double dip with a side of slaw or potato salad and a slice of pie. I can hardly drive by the offramp without finding excuse to stop no matter the time of day. I ate dinner there about two weeks ago driving from Bakersfield to San Diego. yummy.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 12:31 PM

Another one which is still pretty good... in the downtown area of LA... Langer's

http://www.langersdeli.com/

And been a while ... but used to catch a meal at The Pantry too ... some pretty good eating in downtown LA ...

http://www.pantrycafe.com/

BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 01:37 PM

Another vote here for Philippe's lamb dip with blue cheese! burp!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup

The Pantry

"Never closed. Never without a customer"

Well....almost. Remember when Riordan, mayor of LA, owned the place? [maybe still does] The health department closed them down for a few days so they could shovel out some of the dirt, grime and who knows what else.

Still high on my list of places to eat in that area.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Another one which is still pretty good... in the downtown area of LA... Langer's

http://www.langersdeli.com/

And been a while ... but used to catch a meal at The Pantry too ... some pretty good eating in downtown LA ...

Langers is a short walk from my old union hall on 7th. If I was there during the day the B.A. would allways take you there for lunch. Downtown really is a great place, just so far from where I want to live.
KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 05:37 PM

Boll Weevil..... Ah yes. Remember the slogan ? " It's not just a mouthful, It's a meal"
They were the best. had my first one in 1967 when I was still in the Navy. Never stopped eating them till they closed down. :yes:..:yes: I still long for one today.

[Edited on 6-20-11 by KASHEYDOG]

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 06:30 PM

"just so far from where I want to live."

Now ain't that truth... :):)

[Edited on 6-20-2011 by wessongroup]

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

The Pantry

"Never closed. Never without a customer"

Well....almost. Remember when Riordan, mayor of LA, owned the place? [maybe still does] The health department closed them down for a few days so they could shovel out some of the dirt, grime and who knows what else.

I remember when that whole deal went down. Some claimed it was all political because they shut him down for infractions that normally only required fixing the issue. He had made some enemies in health department and they had to put guards at the doors because they could not find the keys since they had "never closed". Rirodan still does own the joint. We went to a Lakers game at Staples this year and spent the night in La La land and had breakfast there Sunday morning. Good eats and history.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.