Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Insightful Interview with Charles Bowden
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 12:08 PM

I've lived here for 12 years and it hasn't changed, it's all Ag. There are three major farms in the Bakersfield area with each employing 5,000 to 6,000 workers. There are a lot of smaller farms that need workers on a seasonal bases such as the nut business like almonds and oranges etc.

I doubt the Mexican government has a data base to draw from, if they do all the better, but it seems to me the US could start one and start giving out work visas. Maybe a three year visa that would allow the worker to cross the border. As long as he/she keeps clean, meaning no arrest, they can keep the visa and get it renewed. Maybe the visa would be for Ag work only or hotel and resturant too. I don't want to displace an American but to help those industries where there is a shortage of workers.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I doubt the Mexican government has a data base to draw from,

Not a chance. They tend to ignore their unemployed.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2011 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I think the influx of illegals into the US was because we had work to do and not enough field workers to do it and still don't.

Perhaps so, but a large portion of the illegals are not here for farm work. They do other work as well.
Not to mention, the communities of illegals in the US have made the crossing much more complicated than in the past. It's like a trip home for many of them, even if it's their first time.

Quote:
Mexico has always been a poor country and the field workers see the US as the place to go for work and make money. Our problem is the US government doesn't have a clue on how to handle the job of getting Mexicans that want to work the fields to the farmers who need them. Instead of trying to solve the problem everyone has made it politcal.

A revision of the Bracero Program is perhaps in order. Well...maybe. Point is, our government isn't going to do anything. They treat it as a self-moderating issue.
Freakin morawns.

While I understand what your are saying, the self-moderating thing doesn't hold water exactly, given what the government has done at the border with walls, fences, electronics, and escalated staffing.

Call it political theater, perhaps, but it seems to me that the very same folks that have benefited from the cheap, illegal labor have found themselve at todds with the enforcement that has been carried on, not to mention untold lives lost through the desparation.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2011 at 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ridge
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS...How could anybody dispute the guy?...
Easily: he's a Librul.

Low effort; enormous discredit with one easy word.

I would've said simple, but the connotation(simple-minded) would not please some.

You italicize the word "simple" and you call Bowden a liberal?

Your shift key and caps lock are obviously far ahead of what you have read by the man.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.