BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mexican Nationals discriminated against in Baja?
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Just the other night a whole bunch of hard core mexican bikers came in for dinner, they didnt look friendy at all, but as long as they respect the other customers, they have a right to be treated like everyone else.

A whole bunch of hard core bikers of any nationality dining at the upscale and lovely Tres Virgenes makes an intesting picture.
:lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 02:39 PM

Had to be the La Paz chapter of the Solo Angeles. Nice guys.
Did they use utensils or did they just lay their faces in the plate?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
No discriminating against such a HANDSOME SPANISH-SPEAKING Baja traveler!:yes::bounce:

Why would anyone rent a room to this guy? He drives a Jeep, need I say more.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 09:43 PM
My T-Shirt is in Español

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
No discriminating against such a HANDSOME SPANISH-SPEAKING Baja traveler!:yes::bounce:

Just looking at my T-shirt, ANYONE in Latin America would recognize that I am a worldly traveler of Anthony Bourdain-calibre!

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 10:27 PM

Every Hotel or Restaurant or Bar has the right to refuse service. It's just not a smart business practice.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 11:35 PM

I am not sure if Ken should be wearing a shirt from an event in Colombia anywhere in Latin America:o:wow:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2011 at 11:38 PM

I mean, it is like you are asking for problems!

Ken knows that he is already being profiled in Mexico, as it is!

:lol::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2011 at 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

Yet he drinks Perrier:lol:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-18-2011 at 06:23 AM

Only H20 in the desert, amigos!:yes:

JoeJSalman
Banned

Mood: Expansive and Content

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 09:52 AM
Good sense and good business

I've never known a small businessman in Baja or elsewhere who wasn't interested in making all he could and made his decisions weighing risk against profit. If that businessman doesn't feel comfortable dealing with a person or group, it should be his decision to make. If he offends too many people, he'll lose business. That is the way that it should be.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 10:18 AM

I notice the merchants enjoying free B&B/campground/housing/hotels advertizing on this board have not chimed in. Seems you would have good input.
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 10:22 AM

When 16 mexicans show up for just two rooms i too would be scared lol! im Mexican, what do you expect the few that ruin it for the rest of us give us a bad rep. Nobody wants us, oh well no big deal. Get over it! Thats how it is unless you have lots of $$$ to show off lol! Have fun boycott them i will!

READY SET.....................
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Feliz Dia de la Independencia...

I was shocked at this article about discrimination AGAINST Mexicans in Baja. One of the reasons I travel in Baja is to not deal with those who routinely discriminate against me. So, I found this article disheartening.

http://www.afntijuana.info/informacion_general/3660_discrimi...

English-version

Carlos Valdez Branches, tijuanense tourist, denounced that she was victim of an attitude of discrimination on the part of the manager of a denominated hotel “Alfonsina´s”, located in the bay of Gonzaga San Luis in the municipality of Cove, when went along with its family to the place to spend the weekend.

According to the version of Valdez Branches, the past 3 of September went in company of other 16 people, relatives and friendly, to the recreational space to spend a weekend; when arriving at the place one went with the manager to ask for the rent of some rooms, to which the employee responded: “All are Mexican”.

“I need to know if they are Mexican because they throw much water, they do not consume in the restaurant and they leave much cochinero” said the one in charge to him of the business, in a whole that the paseante described like “tyrant”, when it asked the reasons for the questioning, and after which the aforesaid one moved away leaving it with the word in the mouth.

Moments before asking for the origin of the possible clients, the employee recognized that there were two rooms available in the hotel, nevertheless, these were denied to the knowledge that were Mexican.

“Peculiarly” he said the affected one, the person also discriminated who them “was Mexican”.
She emphasized that when leaving the premises along with their family, among them people of the third age, went towards a powerboat where the workers commented, when some knew the happened thing, that type of situations discriminatorias on the part of the hotel personnel was continuous.

The majority of those who stay itself in that place is of North American origin, showed Valdez Branches, reason why it was sorry that a preferential treatment exists towards the same connacionales that their visitors deal with contemptuous way.

“What she bothered to me more she is that he was a Mexican (who discriminates) and have preference by people of another nationality; one is going to pay what the hotel… what pain that in Mexico occurs this type of situations here” referred, with annoyance costs.

The Secretariat of Tourism of the government of the state of frequent way invites to the bajacalifornianos “to be tourist in its state” and to visit the different municipalities from the state as well as the establishments that supposedly are for taking care of the same Mexicans.

TIJUANA BC 12 DE SEPTIEMBRE DE 2011 (AFN).- Carlos Valdez Ramos, turista tijuanense, denunció que fue víctima de una actitud de discriminación por parte del gerente de un hotel denominado "Alfonsina´s", ubicado en la bahía de San Luis Gonzaga en el municipio de Ensenada, cuando fue junto con su familia al lugar para pasar el fin de semana.

Conforme a la versión de Valdez Ramos, el pasado 3 de septiembre se dirigió en compañía de otras 16 personas, familiares y amigos, al espacio recreativo para pasar un fin de semana; al llegar al lugar se dirigió con el gerente para solicitar la renta de algunas habitaciones, a lo que el empleado respondió: "¿Todos son mexicanos?".

"Necesito saber si son mexicanos porque tiran mucha agua, no consumen en el restaurante y dejan mucho cochinero” le dijo el encargado del negocio, en un todo que el paseante calificó como "déspota", cuando preguntó los motivos del cuestionamiento, y tras lo que el susodicho se alejó dejándolo con la palabra en la boca.

Momentos antes de preguntar por el origen de los posibles clientes, el empleado reconoció que había dos habitaciones disponibles en el hotel, sin embargo, éstas fueron negadas al saber que eran mexicanos.

“Curiosamente” dijo el afectado, la persona que los discriminó “también era mexicano”.
Destacó que al salir del local junto con su familia, entre ellos personas de la tercera edad, se dirigieron hacia una gasolinera donde los trabajadores comentaron, cuando algunos supieron lo sucedido, que ese tipo de situaciones discriminatorias por parte del personal hotelero eran continuas.

La mayoría de quienes se hospedan en ese lugar son de origen norteamericano, manifestó Valdez Ramos, por lo que lamentó que exista un trato preferencial hacia los mismos connacionales que tratan de manera despectiva a sus visitantes.

“Lo que más me molestó es que fue un mexicano (quien discrimina) y tienen preferencia por gente de otra nacionalidad; uno va a pagar lo que cuesta el hotel… qué pena que aquí en México se den este tipo de situaciones” refirió, con molestia.

La Secretaría de Turismo del gobierno del estado de manera frecuente invita a los bajacalifornianos a “ser turistas en su estado” y a visitar los diferentes municipios del estado así como los establecimientos que supuestamente están para atender a los mismos mexicanos.

Right wrong or otherwise, you ain't in Kansas no more Dorthy.

This is part of the freedoms that everyone talks about by getting out of the USA and going to Baja.

They have the freedom to do what they want because it is their country and nothing changes fast.

I have permanent residency in Mexico and it is more difficult for me to fly from the US to Mexico than it is for you.

I have to enter the Mexican Line and show my Mexican paperwork and my US paperwork, and I am a resident.

But it is part of their process and they have the right to do so.

Bottom line, you either accept it or stop taking your Jeep to Baja.

[Edited on 9-19-2011 by CortezBlue]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 10:30 AM

I don't thing many here are getting it. The hotel has all the right in the world to deny them service, or simply say "theres no rooms available" even if there are. What they can't do is to first ask if they are Mexican, American, Canadian, Gay, Straight, Jewish, Women, Men, and THEN deny them service.

You don't play games with that, simply say theres no rooms available, but don't play games and deny them service because they are any of the above, THEN its discrimination.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I don't thing many here are getting it. The hotel has all the right in the world to deny them service, or simply say "theres no rooms available" even if there are.

Well...I think I do get it. "It" is not a matter of rights...it's a matter of decency. If the guy is going to be an indecent a-hole just because he has a right to be, he needs some serious boycott attention.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
I don't thing many here are getting it. The hotel has all the right in the world to deny them service, or simply say "theres no rooms available" even if there are.

Well...I think I do get it. "It" is not a matter of rights...it's a matter of decency. If the guy is going to be an indecent a-hole just because he has a right to be, he needs some serious boycott attention.

Well, he can legally be an a-hole, and the market can decide if they boycott him. But if the allegations are true, then its illegal and subject to an investigation and fine. If they catch you denying service based on gender or ethncity your screwed.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
If they catch you denying service based on gender or ethncity your screwed.

In that case, I apologize to all concerned if I ever had the nasty thought that we were getting special attention for DWG....Driving While Gringo. :lol:

Jes kiddin', Jesse. I see your point and do agree with you.
Still...a boycott might be fun....a muscle flexing excercise, so to speak.....kinda like bringing those ICBMs out of their silo regularly to give them air.
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 01:31 PM

I have seen locals check into high-end hotels and proceed to fire up their BBQ's on the friggin balconies rather than eat out. If he wants to avoid this more power to him. Question him when all potential customers act on a civilized level.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 05:31 PM

I know a Gringo Hotel operator in Baja Sur that says he prefers the local vacitioning crowd over the gringo crowd, he claims the locals spend more and are less trouble.
Oddjob
Banned

[*] posted on 9-19-2011 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
I know a Gringo Hotel operator in Baja Sur that says he prefers the local vacitioning crowd over the gringo crowd, he claims the locals spend more and are less trouble.

You are dreaming.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.