Author: Subject: Hotel Mision Catavina
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
The Hotel Santa Maria in San Quintin, same chain, advertises $565 pesos for a double. At about US$50, that is a price reduction. I am going to try to make an on-line reservation and see what I get there.

I believe that is what we paid a little over a month ago. If the old memory serves me well, the sign said $500 pesos, but after tax it was $565 mas or menos. Good luck and will be interested to hear what you think about the place.

Diane has the correct price. Maybe we will stop in Catavina next week to see what is going on. Will also ask at the Santa Maria next time there. The owner used to check i n here every once in a while. wonder what happened to him?
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 12:27 PM

At $89, we will continue to stay in San Quintin. That is a shame.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 12:44 PM

EL ROSARIO is 30 miles from San Quintin and 76 miles from Cataviña:

For about $35 you have near luxury at Baja Cactus, support a Baja Nomad who helps everyone, and have incredible comfort and included amenities (bottle drinking water, coffee maker, satellite TV, cieling fan, dimmer lights, heating, a/c, telephone, 24 hour desk clerk, shampoo and lotion)... In room profesional massage service available too! You just can't touch that for a highway motel, anywhere!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 12:59 PM

"i before e, except after c"and this thread is about a Hotel in Catavina. We have seen your posts about Baja Cactus many times. looking at nre options is good for everyone.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

For about $35 you have near luxury at Baja Cactus, support a Baja Nomad who helps everyone, and have incredible comfort and included amenities (bottle drinking water, coffee maker, satellite TV, cieling fan, dimmer lights, heating, a/c, telephone, 24 hour desk clerk, shampoo and lotion)... In room profesional massage service available too! You just can't touch that for a highway motel, anywhere!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
"i before e, except after c"and this thread is about a Hotel in Catavina. We have seen your posts about Baja Cactus many times. looking at nre options is good for everyone.

Quote:

I guess you totally missed who I was posting after, look right above my reply:

"At $89, we will continue to stay in San Quintin. That is a shame."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-27-2011 at 10:20 PM

Quote:

I completely agree. Be sure to book in advance of your trip, though. This place is becoming popular.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 05:16 AM
apples and oranges

Quote:

the hotel in catavina is WAY nicer than baja cactus. dk, don't compare apples to oranges, they do not compute! one is truck stop motel with no grounds to speak of, the other is a nice hotel with nice grounds in a nice location.

cheaper is not always better. however, if money is your motivating factor, just camp in desert around catavina, is much cheaper, and much nicer ambiance than baja cactus!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

the hotel in catavina is WAY nicer than baja cactus. dk, don't compare apples to oranges, they do not compute! one is truck stop motel with no grounds to speak of, the other is a nice hotel with nice grounds in a nice location.

cheaper is not always better. however, if money is your motivating factor, just camp in desert around catavina, is much cheaper, and much nicer ambiance than baja cactus!

You have no clue goatman... No truckers stay at Baja Cactus... unless they want luxury. In the many times I have stayed there the past 7 years, never saw a trucker use Baja Cactus. It quickly fills with American and Mexican vacationers... also Europeans.

There is an expansive parking area on the grounds with security camera... and a gate that is closed overnight.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 09:35 AM

DK,

The fact is, many myself included, don't find over nighting in El Rosario as enjoyable as the many options offered in San Quintin. Speaking only for myself, we like to eat out, trying to compare El Rosario to San Quintin just doesn't cut it.

I must say though you are quite the ambassador for his property, has Antonio made you a minority partner?

;D

Ken
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 10:05 AM

The Baja Cactus hotel in El Rosario is one of the better hotels in Baja. I've stayed there several times. I've not stayed in any of the other hotels in El Rosario but I've heard that there are opthers that are very good. I've eaten in a couple of the resturants and they too are very good. I've stayed in San Quintin and a think the new Mission hotel and La Villa de Zaragoza are both excellent. Haven't stayed at Jardines yet, stopped by once and they didn't have a room but the place was impressive. The Chavez wasn't too bad but the water was harder than nails, prono movies on TV. The other hotels I've stayed at there rank closer to the Pink hotel in Catavina. I've stayed at the old La Pinta, Desert Inn and now Mission hotel in Catavina more times than I can think of. I always liked it except when the air conditioning was out because the generator was down. They use to have a waiter that could make a mean margarita and they had a painting above the bar of a beach comber that I wanted to buy. I heard it was sent to San Ignacio and when I contacted them the owner wanted $800 US so I passed.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
DK,

The fact is, many myself included, don't find over nighting in El Rosario as enjoyable as the many options offered in San Quintin. Speaking only for myself, we like to eat out, trying to compare El Rosario to San Quintin just doesn't cut it.

I must say though you are quite the ambassador for his property, has Antonio made you a minority partner?

;D

Ken

Thank you Ken...

Actually, no matter what business in Baja that is good and good to travelers, I will talk positive about... if Nomads frequent the good places, then it helps keep them in business.

I understand the beauty of staying on a beach... and while I responded to your San Quintin hotel reply, it was for the thousands who read Baja Nomad and not you personally.

Thanks!

[Edited on 9-28-2011 by David K]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

You have no clue goatman... No truckers stay at Baja Cactus... unless they want luxury. In the many times I have stayed there the past 7 years, never saw a trucker use Baja Cactus. It quickly fills with American and Mexican vacationers... also Europeans.

There is an expansive parking area on the grounds with security camera... and a gate that is closed overnight.

baja cactus man:
it's all about ambiance. baja cactus ambiance doesn't appeal to me.
we agree to disagree. let's leave it at that.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 11:09 AM

A jake break at 2am might qualify for ambiance to a long haul trucker.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 01:37 PM

You never asked the question about whether you've been made a minority partner or not. Come on, David, inquiring minds want to know. :lol::lol:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 01:40 PM

I don't care how nice the rooms are at Baja Cactus, and not all of them are nice at all. Bottom line is, why would I spend some of my precious time in Baja in El Rosario? Nothing against the folks in that town, but I look at it like going to New York on vacation and staying in the South Bronx, because there's nice, cheap motel there. Or coming to Southern California and seeking out the best in San Bernardino. :lol::lol: Face your cheapness, live life!

I want to squeeze every last minute of enjoyment out of my limited trips down there.

[Edited on 9-28-2011 by Roberto]
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
I don't care how nice the rooms are at Baja Cactus, and not all of them are nice at all. Bottom line is, why would I spend some of my precious time in Baja in El Rosario? Nothing against the folks in that town, but I look at it like going to New York on vacation and staying in the South Bronx, because there's nice, cheap motel there. Or coming to Southern California and seeking out the best in San Bernardino. :lol::lol: Face your cheapness, live life!

I want to squeeze every last minute of enjoyment out of my limited trips down there.

Way back when the Baja Cactus was a good bang for your buck, But things are changing all the time there are too many nice resturants and motels in San Quntin and points further south. But what do I know I dont drive a Toyota renta truck or shop at Walmart and mow yards for a living,so I set my sights a little higher:lol::lol::lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
You never asked the question about whether you've been made a minority partner or not. Come on, David, inquiring minds want to know. :lol::lol:

It wasn't a serious question, so I thought. No, I am an American using an FM-M, so I cannot be in business in Mexico (until I get an FM-3)... Antonio isn't making a fortune at the low rates he rents for to afford partners, anyway! LOL

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 06:35 PM

Quote:

That is a fair answer... For most, El Rosario is just an over-night stop... 5-6 hours from the border and the last sure bet and honest gas station for a long ways southbound... also owned by Antonio.

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2011 at 09:03 PM

Nothing back on the on-line request for reservation. Next, I will try the telephone.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
luisartrgz2

[*] posted on 9-30-2011 at 10:17 AM
Mission Hotels

At Pinos Co. we are glad to hear your comments about service and pricing.

let us share some information to you that might encourage to visit us last time you are nearby!

we are pet friendly eventhough the health department at mexico doesnt allow this kind of service for natural reasons(thats why we doesnt write it down anywhere)

the extra cost is because not all people whit pets is as clean as Americans and in some cases they leave the bed sheets and the rooms very unclean & the risk of being fine by the authorities is alway present.

Santa Maria & Cataviña both had experienced improvements that might look as small changes but are significant as:

water treatment plants (less salty water)
newer A/C units
Beds improved
english menus now had photographs & better explanation.
sunday buffet
new entrance
security guards 24/7
conference room
convention halls
wifi internet connection at 2mps

as for the price at cataviña we just bought the place, we found many problems to fix one of them is the power plant, the old power plant was replaced for a newer one giving us the chance of keeping the generator running for more hours to improve the guests experience together with some other things as insulation for water pipes so in summer people wont burn with the "cold" wather because of the sun.

We know we still have a long way to run in order to satisfy our clients but believe us when we say we will continue listening & caring for you!

Thanks

Arturo Rodriguez Rgz.
Marketing Director
PINOS CO.

by the way we also invite you to the Old Mill (molino viejo) that has been re-model & for you to check out our new museum and margarita kiosk rith at the pier in san quintin.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.