Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9
Author: Subject: QUESTION ABOUT TIRES
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 08:11 AM

0604 , I believe. 6th week of 2004.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 08:26 AM

bass ... mr. front end... would think you have some really good stuff along this line... HUH...thanks for sharing to all... great topic ...

Goes right along with that pole line trip of ken's.. good timing.. and must say some great pic... sorry for a brief high jack... well, most of ya know me... bit hard for me to stay on the track... :lol::lol: always has been ... it's a curse..

So keep it up.. looking for something for a Bronco ... in a while...

not to concerned about road noise ... its pretty noisy as she runs... but, run she does... and that's all I care about... good old brownie ... might be taking it Prescott, AZ .. with the wife driving... will see if I can make it Jan.. if not, my sister in law will go with the wife...

Just wanted to see what Prescott was like in the winter... were going to spend a week or so... been a while since I've been cold... :lol::lol: .. and saw snow ..

For me, will be looking more for a really good road tire... with off road abilities... so this is working out pretty good for me...

Even with all these folks that HATE baja.. we have such a pool of practial experience here... I find a shame to waste... use it all the time..learn something just about every day ... ain't that the way it's supposed to be... something new every day .... :biggrin::biggrin:

Anything to worry about Mr.Bass ... you getting cobwebs on ya...
:lol::lol::lol: ... missing that grind up in Orange County ..:biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 11-28-2011 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 11-28-2011 by wessongroup]

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 08:43 AM

All is fine Wiley! Tire opinions are as varied as the user. Seeing a shop that specializes is a good point. The right place can "read" the tires and vehicle, AND the owner. After too many years in the business, I kinda keep quiet, unless trying to help with a specific issue. Alignment, pressure, balance, rotate, or not, vary from car to car, truck to truck, usage, and specific owners too much to make blanket statements.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 11:00 AM

I don't think you would want to buy a 1994 tire. I think consumers report suggested a 6-7 year shelf life on car and truck tires.
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 12:11 PM

I have 15k on my BF Goodrich AT tires and they are worn out and getting replaced tomorrow. As for noise, I can't hear anything over that Cummins motor. JH:lol::lol:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 03:50 PM

so tomorrow look at your new tires to see when they were made

i saw some 2 year old tires being delivered last time i bought tires
amazing

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

The final three numbers denote when the tire was produced, with the first two indicating the week, and the last number indicating the year (064 indicates the tire was built in the 6th week of 1994).

How would a 2004 manufacture date be indicated?

Here's some misc from my notes.

Look for tires rated "LT" for light truck. Also, you can judge one tire
against another by checking the traction and wear ratings; both are stamped
into the sides of the tires.

Don't forget that truck tires are not just for going off road.
Truck tires tend to have a stiffer sidewall, important for true control of your
vehicle in an emergency situation.

If they don't show a DOT date code, they are older than 1990. Otherwise (from the Yahoo.com Bounders discussion group: "There is a code on one of the sidewalls that starts with DOT and ends with WWYY (or WWY), where WW is the week number of YY (or Y) Year. For example, 1608 means 16th week of 2008. 168 means 16th week of 1998."
So, no numbers and three numbers means tires more than ten years old; of four numbers following the DOT impression, the last two tell the year starting at 2000
So, a simple rule of thumb to follow: If there are no numbers or only three numbers, their looks could kill. Concern yourself only with tires that show 4 digits after the DOT stamp, and no more than five years of age going by the last two digits. The absolute max to allow tires to age is seven years, providing they still look sound. After that, looks, treadwear, name-brand be damned, get rid of them.

and an informative site.
http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-2243-7FD5860-395DED1F-pr...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic
I have 15k on my BF Goodrich AT tires and they are worn out and getting replaced tomorrow. As for noise, I can't hear anything over that Cummins motor. JH:lol::lol:

I suspect you have a serious alignment problem----or-----they are not AT's. Maybe "rugged trails"??? or you have inflation problems like too little or too muchnpressure!?!?!?!?. 15K miles on them you should barely notice any wear at all. Did they wear evenly???

I got to thinking about the reported "noise" that AT's make for some folks (not me) and it occurred to me that I NEVER drive with my windows open (severe dust allergies) so maybe I just never hear the noise what with AC being on and all?!?!?!? But, I sure hear the noise from my son's BFG Mud Terraign tires------very noisy, even with the windows up, radio blaring, AC on. :O

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I don't think you would want to buy a 1994 tire. I think consumers report suggested a 6-7 year shelf life on car and truck tires.

This is why I plan on swapping all of my tires out in early 2012. Thanks, TW.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic

I suspect you have a serious alignment problem----or-----they are not AT's. Maybe "rugged trails"??? or you have inflation problems like too little or too muchnpressure!?!?!?!?. 15K miles on them you should barely notice any wear at all. Did they wear evenly???

I got to thinking about the reported "noise" that AT's make for some folks (not me) and it occurred to me that I NEVER drive with my windows open (severe dust allergies) so maybe I just never hear the noise what with AC being on and all?!?!?!? But, I sure hear the noise from my son's BFG Mud Terraign tires------very noisy, even with the windows up, radio blaring, AC on. :O

Barry

Yep. 15k on a set is unheard of, unless you are just peeling out every chance you get.

The tread on the AT's are enormous. Can't see them going bald for years or 60k miles. ;D;););D;D;D

bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 07:11 PM

I have over 60K miles on BFG AT KO's and they look like they can go for another 20K miles. They are on a 1995 Bronco!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigboy
I have over 60K miles on BFG AT KO's and they look like they can go for another 20K miles. They are on a 1995 Bronco!

I believe it. My buddy Mark swears he has 80k on his and I've seen them. Still a tad of tread but definitely on their last legs.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 07:39 PM

My last set I got 40-50K the tread was great but one by one I had tread separation.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 07:23 AM

I am in the market for a set of tires. I have BFG TA KO with a rancho suspension and the ride is very hard. I wonder if there is a way to soften the suspension, sometimes when I add a ton of weight that helps.

I wonder, when I see the racers they do not run big tread, they run those new TA Radials that look like commercial truck tires, with low tread. I tried a set on my E-350 and they are awesome.

Is it possible that simpler tread is best all around in Baja, better on the road, better on sand, better handling and better mileage.

I drive over washboard, sand, rocks and deep bumps.

It seems the only thing the tread does is gather stones in the tread? Or I suppose it could be helpful when driving over large cactus spines?

I can't seem to find 15' 11.5 tires in Baja, is there a metric equivalent?

Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
I am in the market for a set of tires. I have BFG TA KO with a rancho suspension and the ride is very hard. I wonder if there is a way to soften the suspension, sometimes when I add a ton of weight that helps. ...

Try using less air in the tires. Do the chalk test to confirm.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-29-2011 at 09:47 AM

GnuKid---------We had Rancho Suspension's on two of our Ranger Rigs in the Imperial Valley and we found them to be incredibly "stiff" and rough riding. So "rough" actually that they eventually broke part of the frames on both vehicles thru crystalization. One was a 1/2 ton pickup, and the other a Dodge SUV.

No more Rancho Suspension for us. We found that good shocks (Bilstein, or similar) and a slight 2" lift and big tires worked better for all but serious rock-crawling.

I agree with David that less air might help, or go to bigger tires with less air if they will fit. If you never carry heavy loads, you might get away with a 6 ply tire, or even a 4 ply if sand it mostly your "road".

Your tire size is a tough one---------

Avoid "cactus spines" as much as possible-----they are toxic to all tires, for sure.

Good Luck.

Barry

[Edited on 11-29-2011 by Barry A.]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 08:32 AM

Ok thanks, I'll air down a bit I am running probably too high now at 36-40lbs since I am on the stree for the moment, I'll go back to 30-32 average for street and air down to 13-16 lbs for the sand. I need some testing.

I became a rock collector, not at first because of my interest in rocks but just to adjustt the ride, about a ton of rocks or orange seems to work absolute wonders. But the passengers have no room for their feet down low.

I'm still waiting more than 20 days for r15 11.5 32" BFG on order!

At least the truck runs!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 03:00 PM
OP

well since I started this tread

here is what I just found out

I had a busted rim, bent and cracked

I just got back from the tire store, I found a used rim in a

wrecking yard here in Yuma, cost was $90.00

I think I can blame Gonzaga bay for this
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 03:25 PM

No doubt! Glad you figured out the problem.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-6-2011 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
well since I started this tread

here is what I just found out

I had a busted rim, bent and cracked

I just got back from the tire store, I found a used rim in a

wrecking yard here in Yuma, cost was $90.00

I think I can blame Gonzaga bay for this

Gonzaga Bay claimed another piece of metal!:yes:

The good thing is that now you have some good stories to tell about your latest trip to Baja!:lol:

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.