Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: FMM needed to fish in Mexican Waters
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 02:08 PM

i think Baja Norte..at least on the Gulf side is a free-zone...been asked for Mex license (in hand) but not other papers...and it is their country...they make their laws we make ours..I like the fishing license deal good for 12 mos from date of PURCHASE...if I buy an Az license today..its full price and expires at midnight tomorrow! Happy New Year Nomads
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Is that a fishermans exaggeration Dennis???;D

I'll bet I could have learned that from you, Jon.
Anyway, I knew Andy Meling [not sure of his status today] and he was going to start taking pack trips in to fish and he would tell me stories about the trout that would make you dizzy. He wasn't one to embellish a story either.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 02:20 PM

I have heard of those fish before. They do exist. But the size of albacore???? :o

I may have to take a hike next time I venture north.:light:

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 02:37 PM
The real money grab?

Just wondering, how will this affect the cruise lines that do the 3 day Ensenada deal? Have they been getting visas all along? What about their crews, will they have to get FM3s? Will this finish what few ships still making Ensenada a POC?
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 07:20 AM

To the people who fish Mexico, especially in their private boats from SD, it is a CHOICE. At this point the problem for most people will be obtaining a FMM and getting it stamped for 180 days. This might be having to cross the border and then returning to US. I always used to ask for 180 days when picking up. Currently, I have a FM-2 and this does not pertain to me. By the way a non-resident annual CA fishing license is $120.
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 07:24 AM

Fishing Mexico's waters is a privilege for us, it is not our waters.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 08:45 AM

So, why dont the free, 7 day FMM rules apply if they are fishing north of San Quintin?

Why.........because someone in the Mex govt figured out another way to squeeze money out of a dwindling resource; the Mexican tourist.

To me, this is another example of that puzzling theorum of Mexican economics; raise prices when the market is down. It happens all the time over here. Then, one day you notice the business is gone and the owners are wondering what happened.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
It's my understanding that in and above Meling Ranch, there are places with trout the size of Albacore....well, almost. Large and abundant, anyway.

I'm sure you meant albatross; not albacore because of the guilt associated with taking the BIG ones :lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HotSchott
For now, private boaters will have to visit the Mexican immigration office in Tijuana in order to get a visa.

FMM 3 days or less – $33.06.

FMM 4-9 days -- $38.06.

FMM 10 days or more -- $43.06.

I know this is new info and the implementation may
change a bit, it says 'Fishing Visa' required, if 1 has
an existing fmm for the 180 days is this considered
not part of the fishing visa? or can 1 get free 7 day
at the border and use it to satisfy the new regs?
The way I read it, if 1 has the $23 180 day fmm
and is kayaking fishing he MAY also need a fishing
visa? We all know Mex is QUIRKY and throws out
regs on a whim, but it is THEIR Country
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 08:35 PM

I believe the fishing visa they are talking about is an FMM. I believe the 7 day free visa exists. You must get at the border. If I were to walk across the border for a 7 day free Fmm, I would pay the $22 and pick one up for 180 days.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 08:40 AM

Yeah, I really dont understand this fee structure that is published in that news item.

If it is simply an FMM, has that facilitating company simply decided to tack on fees and arbitrarily based it on length-of-stay?

Or is it something entirely different than an FMM????

I hope the first Nomad who elects to purchase one through the landings will post a copy of it.

That is, IF anyone chooses to fish Mexican waters on a cattle boat out of SD. What a huge hit that industry is gonna take from this.

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 08:50 AM

At least once they pay, they won't find all of the productive, popular inshore areas closed to fishing!!!

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 09:03 AM

The reason those boats head south is because of seasonal rock fish closures, and of course, the great fishing!! Not sure of the dates, but shallow water rockfish are off limits for a portion of the year.

Between the state of CA, and the new MX requirements, west coast fisherman are getting screwed from both sides of the border. Once all the kinks are worked out in this new gig, Ca fisherman try to fish around the MLPA closure areas, Mexico will see a larger number of fisherman I believe. Both on sport boats and personal craft.

If the violence continues to slow down in Baja, more trailer boaters will head down also. It will take time, but fishing in CA is going to get even tougher than it already is.

elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:24 AM

The fees for the FMM at the landing do include a service fee for the middle man company. I do fish private boat out of SD into Mexican waters and a couple of times a year on sport boat. I have a FM-3, it does not affect me, but does affect my kids who fish with me. I am going to walk across the border and get FMM for my kids for 180 days and then walk back across the border.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2012 at 10:31 AM

Very simple solution! If you go to Baja on a regular basis, the 180 day visa makes perfect sense, other than the fact it is supposed to be returned upon leaving the country. Very few ever do. So, do it twice a year, you can fish and travel for less than fifty bucks a year, legally!

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 12:19 PM

Starting yesterday fees for the FMM which will be renamed visitor card will be
292 Pesos ..........

I hear the whales song
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 12:52 PM

Puulease let us know if the FMM (or renamed "visitor card" or whatever they've decided to call it THIS year) is actually what is being issued to customers of the landings. Still unclear if the permit at the landings is a different type of fishing visa.

In fact, someone should take their FMM down to Pt Loma, FL, or Seaforth and compare it to what is being issued for the boats. If a simple FMM is all it takes, then the landings should publicize this. There are many who still possess a valid FMM.

Of course, this raises the question. If you fished on one of the boats with your FMM, would the landing be forced to confiscate it from you at the end of the trip because it's an, uhhh, LEGAL REQUIREMENT that you turn in your FMM when you leave the country. :lol:

jureal
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 01:39 PM

The rules state that upon return to the US, the FMM must be surrendered. The head of the company that is selling the new FMM to the sportfishing passengers has already admitted that the price of the FMM is about $15 and the fees that he charges includes the handling fees. The longer the trip, the higher are the handling fees as the basic FMM is still $15 regardless of the trip length.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jureal
The rules state that upon return to the US, the FMM must be surrendered. The head of the company that is selling the new FMM to the sportfishing passengers has already admitted that the price of the FMM is about $15 and the fees that he charges includes the handling fees. The longer the trip, the higher are the handling fees as the basic FMM is still $15 regardless of the trip length.

So, you are saying that it IS simply an FMM? You've seen what they are issuing?

Of course this makes no sense..........but lots of dollars for the company. There is no incurred handling fees or expenses that are dependent on the length of the trip that I can see.

However, if you werent issued one by that company, then there shouldnt be any FMM for them to confiscate from you at the end.

And just to be clear, Aduana agents usually recommend that you get a 180 day FMM and re-use it, irregardless of the "law" that it must be surrendered when you leave the country.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-3-2012 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Of course, this raises the question. If you fished on one of the boats with your FMM, would the landing be forced to confiscate it from you at the end of the trip because it's an, uhhh, LEGAL REQUIREMENT that you turn in your FMM when you leave the country. :lol:

i imagine that it is a lot of work to make daily trips to TJ to file FMMs, and I doubt the TJ immigration agents allow vendor to just pop in once a week to pick up a stack of new FMMs and drop off a stack of aged FMM applications.

FMM vendor is probably required to know and follow the law if they want to stay in business. i suspect that if a vendor is buying many FMMs every day, then immigration agents will coerce that vendor into collecting FMMs at trip end.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.