Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: WD 40
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:37 AM

If WD40 penetrates then evaporates, this could be very bad for rubber O-rings and those types of applications.....I've always been a 3-1 oil guy for those.......

SillyCone isn't for everything....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 02:04 PM

Redneck repair kit: WD40 for everything you want to move that doesn't. Duct tape for everything you don't want to move that does.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 02:55 PM

I've seemingly used every penetrant, and every trichloroethylene, lacquer thinner, ATF, and diesel concoction formula on the planet. Having built more than ten thousand alternators with my own hands, I can say that KROIL outperformed everything else by a wide margin.

For electronic connections, jacks and plugs, computer edge contacts, remote control battery connections, even my electric blanket NOTHING IN THE WORLD can touch the efficacy of "Deoxit D100L"

Several years ago I had a video card that kept malfunctioning. Substituting other cards eliminated the intermittent but they were borrowed. I tried with zero improvement eight different tuner cleaners, and even buffing out the edge contacts with art gun eraser, then wiping with alcohol. NADA! P-nche NADA!

Then a friend loaned me some DeOxit D100. I applied TWO DROPS smeared it around with my finger, waited two minutes then wiped it off.

PRESTO! Not a hint of problem for the next three years.

This stuff is a miracle AND IT DOES NOT AFFECT PLASTIC. I inadvertently left drops on the lens of reading glasses for weeks and wiping it off revealed untouched transparency.

The manufacturer even gloats that it is not harmful even when accidentally ingested. A little too expensive to gulp down however.

This stuff removes, I say REMOVES corrosion. It makes a mockery of any other electronic contact cleaner on earth.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 03:13 PM

DavidE, Thanks for the info.:D
Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 04:08 PM

I use it to CLEAN (not lube) motorcycle chains.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 05:41 PM

CYPRESS: Para servile!

CYANIDE41: Similar finding. KROIL is a superb penetrant and allows unthreading of parts, but there's better stuff for lubrication. Unknown but absolutely superb is LUBRICATION ENGINEER'S synthetic spray lubricant. It w-a-y outperforms lubes like "Corrosion X" especially for chains. It stays put and reduces wear to almost nothing.

http://products.lelubricants.com/item/aerosol-lubricants/syn...

SKIDS
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 06:01 PM

YA GOTTA TRY EASY GLIDE !!!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 06:09 PM
Trichloroethylene

Hard to beat for its effectiveness in a Vapor Degreaser, but options for using that are (were) limited.

Those that LOVE WD-40 will continue to do so. The same is true for those who Hate it.

Nobody will change.

I'm on the LOVE list. I've got the stuff EVERYWHERE. Just used some on a truck door-hinge a few hours back.

[Edited on 4-18-2012 by MrBillM]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 06:40 PM
The nice thing about WD40 is....

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Hard to beat for its effectiveness in a Vapor Degreaser, but options for using that are (were) limited.

Those that LOVE WD-40 will continue to do so. The same is true for those who Hate it.

Nobody will change.

I'm on the LOVE list. I've got the stuff EVERYWHERE. Just used some on a truck door-hinge a few hours back.

[Edited on 4-18-2012 by MrBillM]

....if you "love it" then you got the right product,
cuz that hinge you lubed will dry out very nicely after applying this product.
I used to "love it" until I realized it has more drying qualities than lubricating effects...
And you are absolutely correct- those that love the stink will keep on spraying it, and those of us that have discovered so many new and improved products will continue the search for even more and better....
All I know is the door hinges in the house no longer squeak, the Ford tail gate no longer sticks, and my pool guy sez it is o.k. to put it on the very sticky back flush valve thanks to silicone spray...... and, you can spray it in the house and the little Senora does not wrinkle her nose over the nostalgia odor.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 08:06 PM
IF it Squeaks

AGAIN, I'll spray it again.

Seems to work for quite awhile, though. ALWAYS has.

And, it's cheap.

To each their own and who gives a sh-t anyway ?
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 08:11 PM

At the Missile Engineering Station where I worked, WD-40 could not pass the test for corrosion protection at sea and LPS-2 did, and was used.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/lubricants_pg/LPS2.html

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 08:44 PM

always been a LPS-2 fan, anyone tried it on a krockodile?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 08:53 PM

I use a witch's brew of LPS (3), anhydrous lanolin, and mold release wax. Dumped it into a commercial quality pump sprayer from Home Despot. Treated surfaces lasted two years inside a plastic bottle filled with seawater and tossed into gulf of california with stopper with hole admitting fresh sea water. Mirror buffed mild steel strap did not have a smudge of corrosion on it.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:03 PM

but did it catch a fish?:bounce:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 10:20 PM
WHY ?

"I use a witch's brew of LPS (3), anhydrous lanolin, and mold release wax. Dumped it into a commercial quality pump sprayer from Home Despot. Treated surfaces lasted two years inside a plastic bottle filled with seawater and tossed into gulf of california with stopper with hole admitting fresh sea water. Mirror buffed mild steel strap did not have a smudge of corrosion on it".

There HAVE to be more satisfying Hobbies than that.

I've never understood the fascination with Stamps, Jigsaw puzzles or Bug-Collecting, but they ALL seem like they'd be more interesting.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 11:03 PM

Testing.
Ever live c-l-o-s-e to a tropical sea? Where you have to change 40 outlets and 20 light switches when they go bad? Ever try and find gringo grade receptacles and switches anywhere but in the largest Mexican cities? Ever ask them for specification grade receptacles?

My hobby is gardening. My passion is NOT to have to screw around with corroded receptacles, switches, service drops, ground rods, and breaker boxes every time I turn around.

Testing told me my witches brew treated parts are going to outlast me.

Now, back to gardening!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 11:28 PM

How long have you been gardening David?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-18-2012 at 05:39 AM

the same electrical plugs are sold in mulege as in home depot usa...

the same breakers...the same wire...the same switches...

its the installer that isn't the same

and

i agree with mbill...damn...i like wd40
it works...its here and it's cheap

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-18-2012 at 06:51 AM

Really bad with rum tho...just sayin...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2012 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
"I use a witch's brew of LPS (3), anhydrous lanolin, and mold release wax. Dumped it into a commercial quality pump sprayer from Home Despot. Treated surfaces lasted two years inside a plastic bottle filled with seawater and tossed into gulf of california with stopper with hole admitting fresh sea water. Mirror buffed mild steel strap did not have a smudge of corrosion on it".

Wouldn't the elimination of air have something to do with the slow deterioration?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.