Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Trawlers
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 08:51 AM

There were 8 seiners in front of Santa Rosalia yesterday morning and they all had full nets. Most are trapping sardines, but the by-catch of Mackerel and other fish is nothing short of amazing. This is also the time of the year that the local pangueros are using gill nets to "Wrap Net" which is done when the yellowtail are feeding on the small fish that are close to shore. The panga puts out a large circular gill net and since they are so close to shore and the rocks, they put several divers overboard to move the nets into the center. They are taking everything that gets caught in the net including yellowtail, cabrilla, parrot fish, trigger fish, pargo, and probably even the small colored Sargent Majors. One group from San Bruno hauled in over 20 tons in the last week and half.
In just the last three years since this practice has become widespread, the yellowtail fishing has gone seriously downhill in our area. Local fishermen who have been plying these waters their entire lives are unable to catch enough yellowtail to provide for their families. Since the squid have moved to the north in the last couple of years, many fishermen have had to sell their boats and equipment and are trying to do other things. Thank goodness the Boleo mine in Santa Rosalia has offered a real chance in employment opportunities.
So no arguing with La Paz Gringo, but anyone with a little common sense knows that any farmer who takes more from the land than it can support is quickly going to find themselves with vast tracts of unproductive land. Mexico truly needs to get a handle on how poorly she is managing her ocean resources but I don't see much on the horizon that gives me any sense that is happening. The East Cape has put in place some programs that have stopped a lot of the destructive netting practices and there has been a strong recovery in that area. The cooperatives on the other side of the peninsula have done a great job in managing their fisheries and populations are doing well in the areas of Asuncion, La Bocana, and Abreojos.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 08:57 AM

Where is Skeet?:O

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 11:41 AM

Okay, so there's some sensationalism going on here. Some say the SOC is dead and I disagree. The fact is that the SOC is widely believed to be the most pristine body of water left on Earth.

We're all in agreement that we'd like it to get better. But throwing our hands up and saying they won and it's over is not the solution. As far as "getting in the water" I've dove and fished from Gonzaga Bay to Cabo Pulmo and the water is clean as a whistle and life is super abundant. Don't believe me? Go look at the condition of places like the Bay Islands and Cozumel over the last 20 yrs. They're not even recognizable.

Again, I'm not sure what's motivating the dire predictions of woe but it's not based on fact. And I'd venture to say that it's much more regulated than this thread would have you believe. Go fishing for a day in Bahia de Los Angeles with Rafael and he'll tell you how strictly enforced it is up there. While the fisheries management doesn't have the same viewpoint you or I do, they are regulating commerical fishing. To say they're not is simply not true and comes across as just a tad bit sanctimonious and ill-informed.

[Edited on 4-21-2012 by LaPazGringo]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 11:47 AM

Here is Skeet:

The fishin in the Sea of Cortez has been real good fo many years and will Never, Ever be Ruined. It is Impossible!

There will be ups and downs and movement of fish in and out which will cause some people to talk and beleive that the fish are gone. But! they leave and sometimes are gone for several years, they are overtaken, like the Sierra but start coming back.

There are many reasons for the "Reporting that Fishing is No Good' One of those are the SportFisherman who are not catching as many fish as they have in the Past.
Those that depend on the FishFinders and not their own eyes and Ers do not catch fish in the Same Spot, so they report No fish.
I can take my old Feeble Self to many,many spots from Mulege South to La Paz and catch all the Fish I want and Kinds, depending of Course on the Water, The Bait, The Wind, the Temp ot the Water and all of the other factors.

The Hollaring that the "Sea of Cortez is Ruined" is just another of the Young Generation Spouting off as they did about "Global Warming: and other things.

But Do not let us give up on this bunch of "Facts Massagers" let us try to keep them from smoking so much DOPE, Having Public Sex, and begging for Donations and Handouts. They are in my Paryers each Nite.

Skeet
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 11:57 AM

...and someone said 8 trawlers is killing the fishery. What a joke.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 12:09 PM

It's not a joke. Eight trawlers muliplied by 20. They come and go.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 12:28 PM

Cypress:
Do you not realize that the Trawlers come in when the Fish are Heavy, catch a bunch and leave.

When the Fish come back in large numbers here comes the Trawlers!

Wonder why there has been reported so many large Fish being caught this year??

Wonder why Pompano and Bill Erhart and others are reporting with Photos of the fish they are catching.??

Wonder why so many Sharks around Isla Dlefonso this year?

Just think of the wide area of the ocean that is not fished. No the fishing will come and go .

Skeet
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 12:36 PM

Skeet/Loreto, Wonder? What? Photo's of what? Little Pinto bass? Show me some pics of recent catches of mature grouper and pargo. Wide area's of the Ocean that are not fished? That's because there's nothing there to fish for. The fishing will come and go? For the most part, in many areas of the Sea of Cortez it's already gone.:(
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Skeet/Loreto, Wonder? What? Photo's of what? Little Pinto bass? Show me some pics of recent catches of mature grouper and pargo. Wide area's of the Ocean that are not fished? That's because there's nothing there to fish for. The fishing will come and go? For the most part, in many areas of the Sea of Cortez it's already gone.:(
well there not all gone. the grouper I got over easter went 112lb and in january hung one half its size. both at cactus point straight out from rancho grande
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
well there not all gone. the grouper I got over easter went 112lb and in january hung one half its size. both at cactus point straight out from rancho grande

Don't tell anywhere where they were, Willard. Those might be the last grouper left in the Sea of Cortez. Maybe even the world! :rolleyes:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Glad someone caught A fish
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 01:01 PM

just let me say this lapazgringo, god we miss george!:lol:
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Quote:

Glad someone caught A fish

I think it's not the fish. It's the fisherman. Caught our limit of yellowtail in 2 hrs at Suenos last week. What are you doing wrong? If you need a recommendation for a guide or something, just let me know!
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
just let me say this lapazgringo, god we miss george!:lol:

That video will shut the mouth of any "self-righteous environmentalists; these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is there aren't enough bicycle paths." :spingrin:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 01:11 PM

willardguy, The Sea of Cortez is 60,000+ square miles of water. Glad to know you caught a couple of big fish there.:D
LaPazGringo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 01:19 PM

I'm really starting to think you guys are serious. Just wow.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 01:38 PM

Cypress"

Are you just a Diver or have you ever fished the Sea of Cortez!!\

I have done both, from Cabo Pulmo in the South to above Mulege to the North.

There have been many changes in the Past 40 years. One of the biggest changes I was concerned about was the large amount of Squid taken in the past 10 years.

I would hope that some of the FActs Massagers would take better care of their Children, It would be a better World!!

Skeet
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 01:47 PM

Skeet/Loreto, I'm a diver and have fished in the Sea of Cortez. No bigee. I've returned to the fishing areas I grew up in. Can't beat the Northern Gulf of Mexico and the marsh country. No gill nets. Purse nets, yep, they catch pogies with 'em. Got seasons, limits etc. Plenty of fish.:biggrin: The Sea of Cortez has potential, but it's on a downhill slide.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
The inshore species are hit by the small panga gill netters not the trawlers or seiners.

Yep!!;)
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 02:04 PM

Thanks for your Facts... Guys now i will believe everything you say .:yes: About the seas being full of fish and lots of squid . Everyone eat up. :bounce:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.