Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Outboard King
Fishmagician
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 10:30 AM

How many of you have a ditch bag...if you have to into the water...every skipper should hae one.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 11:34 AM

the pic of Alex beaming with that dorado is priceless. you're a lucky man!

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 12:38 PM

Enjoyed reading the report again,always felt you should do that more often Igor,204 ye gods!
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 12:47 PM

Skipjack Joe, Intermittent? The ghost in the machine.:O
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 12:56 PM

I should but I can't.

2004 was the first time we saw asuncion. There were no gringos back then with the exception of shari who was in canada at the time. There was a sense of discovery. It was isolated and the people were wonderful. We were an anomaly and people went out of their way to meet you and befriend you.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 01:00 PM

i say we get Igor and Rob together and go fishing!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 06:10 PM

bump!

I let my fuel go bad. and it won't start.....

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surfdoc  
I've known and trusted Fernando for many years!!! As honest a mechanic as there is for sure!

Both of Juans boats are powered with motors Fernando helped me score!!!
Glad your useing him Woody, next time ya see him tell him Stan/Surfdoc said hi!!!

I met Fernando last year soon after I bought my 1989 Larson Boat: I took it to a mechanic over in Santee by Mission Gorge Rd at a shipyard, I wanted the motor inspected... wow!!! this guy (not Fernando the guy at the shop) wanted to do a hard sell on me, then Fernando arrived and saw what was going on and he told me he could probably help me, but we couldn't exchange our info. because the guy at the shop (who now I know is a motor broker) wouldn't step away and I had to leave... so many months later... HERE!!!! I find his number, I just talked to him, he remembers the whole situation and we're going to set up an appointment to service my motor.... small world!!!!:bounce:

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2015 at 07:56 PM

he's a great mechanic.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 06:54 AM
BTW

any and all marine motors of any size,shape,hp need to replace the impeller and gear oil (I/O'S..outboards)..and if little or no hrs of service; then it MUST be replaced...running a motor on a flush kit (muffs) don't mean peanuts about anything...you can remove the impeller and run it all day on a hose..The three biggest issue's I sea on outboards is,,,,wrong battery (deep cly)...lack of service (fresh impeller)....cheap/junk fuel system from tank to motor...if its not made by serria or OEM don't take a chance...Worst marine used to sell TEMPO and now sell MOELER Crap and also ATTWOOD..do not buy or use this junk on your boat motor...its asking for trouble....Hi, BOB whats your pro take on this....LOL..:lol:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 07:19 AM

I bought a reconditioned 1985 40 hp Evinrude from the Outboard King in Santee a few years ago on recommendation from Woody and the motor runs great. And, he's a nice guy too!

How do you know when the impeller needs replacing? Is it just based upon the strength of the stream from the pee hole? On my motor at least, that's fine. ;)
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 08:45 AM
SF & H

Good Question and not a easy answer...in general at the beginning of each season would be my first reply,,but there are many varibles,,,duty clycle,,water PH and alkalinity..beaching,,setting out in the sun and the biggest factor is lack of use..A impeller gets a "set" from sitting and lack of use..and not understanded is the fact that at higher speeds the "vanes" must also be soft enough to bend/flex to allow the water that is now being "shoved/pushed" to go past and cool the motor..at higher speeds you can over heat from a impeller that is "stiff"..also the PRV and also called "popitt" valve needs to be serviced...My good friend 'BoB' would argue that your wasting good money...but, when your motor over heats and wipes out a perfectly otherwise good motor..its in choice....pay a little now or a lot later !! I also see many folks and even other shops/mech's impeller replacement done WRONG and even like WTF was they doing in there...sorta like "Big Sign/ little brain"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info. But my question is:

If the stream of cooling water coming out of the motor is strong, can I assume the impeller is OK? Do they go bad slowly, indicated by a weak stream, or are they good one moment and broken the next?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 04:48 PM

It's a crapshoot. Cheap insurance to do every year if you do your own or every other year if you don't.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 05:02 PM

The boat is kept in Mulege and used almost daily for a couple of hours for 5 months of the year. I'd like to tackle the repair myself. I have the tools and am smarter than the average bear by a bit when it comes to machines. Need to buy the parts in San Diego and take with me.

Suggestions/comments appreciated.

[Edited on 4-3-2015 by SFandH]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 05:34 PM
SF and H

Hola,yes you can do it yourself..but that one has a three part s/s inserts in the housing and a "o" ring seal on top with a sorta "o" ring seal of the bottom of the w/p housing and a gasket under the "wearplate"...I highly recommend you by a complete kit minus the w/p plastic housing if it has not run hot..if ran hot, get a complete w/p pump kit,,,the OMC impellers are locked on the drive shaft with a small plastic cam..strike with a brass drift in a clockwise direction to loosen..and always bye and use the evinrude....(went to trunk for the can,,,LOL) gasket sealing compound on the top and sides of the s/s insert (2) of the pump so it wont suck air.....the bottom sealing "o" ring I glue in place with "gasket cinch" and let dry GOOD..then when lowering pump housing onto impeller spin the driftshaft with a pair of vicegrip in a clockwise direction while keeping a sharp eye on the bottom seal "o" ring then pour a little soapy water down the pump discharge/outlet port...NO GREASE !! the you tube vids are WRONG...and don't forget the shift lincage...oops always disconnect all spark leads and have friend slighty turn the flywheel for spline alignment...hope that helps...K&T..PS and use a spline grease on the side of the shaft splines ..BUT not on the top,,just the sides..and YES spline grease is hard to find but ask your part man (not worst marine) if a small tube comes with w/p kit

[Edited on 4-3-2015 by captkw]

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 05:42 PM

thanks for the reply captkw, I'll copy and paste to a text file so I have it when the time comes. I'll also watch some youtube vids keeping in mind what you said. It's time for me to figure this out.

Now to find a parts kit online.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 05:45 PM
old saying

there is no stupid boat questions !!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.