No Vets in California?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
No Vets in California?

Yes, there are Veterinarians not far from where I live. The issue was affordability. This trumped convenience in my case.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 12:47 AM

Did you include the 200+ mile round trip cost in gas, a day's auto insurance, etc. into the cost 'to save money'?

I am sure there were other good reasons to go, as well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Did you include the 200+ mile round trip cost in gas, a day's auto insurance, etc. into the cost 'to save money'?

I am sure there were other good reasons to go, as well!

$51 gasoline for 250 mi/rt
$7 Parking at Border Station - San Ysidro, CA
$5 Taxi Fee
$40 Vet Fee
$20 Dinner at Vittorio's

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 09:04 AM

I guess I'm a bit confused??

Did you take your dog to a vet in TJ?

Why would you do that instead of going to an emergency animal hospital near you?

Yes, I know it would cost more, but if I was concerned about the life of my dog, it seems that would be faster and lest tramatic.

Or

Maybe it wasn't as bad of a wound as it looked and you had time

Either way I hope the little guy is on the mend
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
I guess I'm a bit confused??

Did you take your dog to a vet in TJ?

Why would you do that instead of going to an emergency animal hospital near you?

Yes, I know it would cost more, but if I was concerned about the life of my dog, it seems that would be faster and lest tramatic.

Or

Maybe it wasn't as bad of a wound as it looked and you had time

Either way I hope the little guy is on the mend

My reason for going to a Veterinarian in Mexico was due to cost. The wound was very bad. Over one inch across and about 1 inch deep. I was concerned about my expense load and my personal financial trauma.

In the end, this is working out very well. Frida's wound is slowly healing very well. My out-of-pocket expenses were in the $140 range, and I had a fun dinner and couple of shows out on the town for only $20. When life serves you lemons, take those lemons and make lemonade!:yes:

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 05:32 PM

Still dont get it, prolly wont..Dog is badly injured, waste all kinds of time to save a few bucks? Sounds more like an excuse for a party than taking care of the dog....just sayin...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Still dont get it, prolly wont..Dog is badly injured, waste all kinds of time to save a few bucks? Sounds more like an excuse for a party than taking care of the dog....just sayin...

When you have more time than money, why not use the time, to save the money - right?:yes:

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 07:46 PM

Ken, when our boxer was hit by a car due to fireworks in Brawley I took her to Vet in Brawley. The guy did X-Rays, shot, and then told me he could not fix the leg but had called another Vet in San Diego to do the job. I had already talked to my friend's Vet in Mexicali that told me he would fix the dog. The Vet in Brawley told me the other Vet wanted $1,500 up front and then it would be another possible $1,500 for the other possible work on the dog.

I told the Vet in Brawley I wanted the dog's X-rays to take with me and he wanted to know if I was going straight to his friends office in San Diego. Told him I was taking the dog to get fixed and just needed the X-rays, so the other Vet would have them. This Brawley Vet would not give me the X-rays telling me that he couldn't release them after I just got charge $100 dollars for the damn things. Told him it was B.S. but my dog was needing help so off to Mexicali I went. The Vet in Mexicali had to re-Xray the dog due to me not having the ones from Brawley and then he did surgery on my dog. He had to put a pin in her leg, put a makeshift cast on her leg along with pain medication and kept her for 3 days to make sure everything ok. It cost me $345 dollars total. That total cost for my dog also included going back to have the pin removed once it healed up which included another pain shot before taking it out. Have taken other dogs to this Vet in Mexicali afterwards and he is very good with animals and does great personal care for them.

So, for me I won't ever use the Vet in Brawley again. Like to point out that I also had to go into his back area to get my dog on that day. This was due to when I went to pick him up the Vet did not want to release my dog to me until I told him I was going to his friend's office in San Diego. Wrong Wrong Wrong and I just wrapped my dog up in a blanket and took off as fast as possible for the Vet in Mexicali. So, the cost thing you are talking about is very real on some issues with animal care but if you can get better care why not go for it in Mexico. By the way my dog recovered just fine and two years later had puppies and no problems with her broken leg. She lived to be 14 years old with good times and was a very loving dog. Take Care & Travel Safe------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
The Vet in Brawley told me the other Vet wanted $1,500 up front and then it would be another possible $1,500 for the other possible work on the dog.

$375 including incendentals or $3,000.00 - Definitely not "Chump Change" by any stretch of the imagination. I talk to people everyday who swear that they will NEVER visit Mexico - Being on a Baja-related forum, you would think that 90% or better would support your decision to cross the border in order to get needed pet services for your family favorite?? I don't understand, but I guess this is what separates me from the masses on this forum.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 06:56 PM

Thats about an 80 dollar sew up... No more....We get 2-3 a year like that...But maybe not in Kalifornia...

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Thats about an 80 dollar sew up... No more....

Next time, I send the Chihuahua to you!LOL
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 11:11 PM

Small box...

zoesterone
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
My 9 yr. old Chihuahua "Frida" entered her pet cage and was cut wide open as a result. The cage was assembled as directed, but that is a matter I will take up with the manufacturer off-line.

Frida with open wound - in pain.:no: Resting in her Animal Planet indoor dog house.

After making sure that I could make her comfortable, I went to the local drugstore and purchased some products to clean and dress the wound. Then, to the liquor store to buy a $2 calling card to reach my friends in Tijuana.

The drive to San Ysidro was stressful for Frida as she suffered the entire way there.

Once I parked at Border Station, Frida was able to have a small lunch. Earlier, she hadn't eaten but El Pollo Loco burritos always seem to do the trick.:yes:

The Taxi cost $5 from the Border to CG's home in Soler. From there, we traveled to the vet by car within 10 minutes. Here is Frida in the Consultation Lab.

[Edited on 6-10-2012 by Ken Cooke]

Wondering, out of curiosity, why you had to travel a long distance for a vet? There are several very good ones in the Rosarito area as well as Primo Tapia. Glad everything turned out well as it is hard to see our best friends in pain.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 08:43 AM

Tijuana is closer to Ken's home than Rosarito or Primo Tapia.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 10:42 AM
BEFORE...DURING...AFTER!

BEFORE

Frida was in pain, but with medication and doggie first aid, I cleaned her up and prepared her for her trip South of the border.

Wound is stitched up Professionally

Stitches have been out for 1 month, and her wound area is completely smooth/uniform.

rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 12:43 PM

Nothing but red ex's for me.....?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e
Nothing but red ex's for me.....?

Sorry - I shut down my Facebook account, deleted all files from Facebook, and as a result, you missed all of the great Tijuana photos.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 08:22 PM
Quck Synapsis

Frida gets injured

Frida receives home First Aid treatment(, but still hurt/won't eat for 2-3 days).

I drive her to San Ysidro, CA where we walk across the border (she is carried in her pet carrier).

Having lunch

The trip across the border is non-eventful. Frida arrives in the Veterinarian's Office. Paperwork is filled out. She awaits her surgery.

Neat house near Vet's Office - This kind of originality is why I almost moved to Tijuana several years ago.

Frida is out of surgery, happy, and healthy!

Her wound after treatment.

At home, she readjusts quickly.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.