BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: No reports on marlin or tuna????
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 06:12 PM

cut them all off and retie them.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 07:08 PM

Really sounds like the leader. How old is it?

For the size of fish you are catching, any old knot should hold. Improved clinch, uni, etc. But on 80, you could be damaging the line as you draw it tight. Are you sure you are moistening the know sufficiently?

I do prefer the SD jam knot.

Knot a fan of the Palomar. Doesnt absorb shock much.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 07:19 PM

whats wrong with a double barrel swedge in aluminum or brass?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 07:20 PM
knots

HOLA,,myself like a double palarmor knot !! but if you want to really have some fun...try doing a bimini twist...not !!K&T
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
whats wrong with a double barrel swedge in aluminum or brass?

Nothing.........if the person has the right crimping tool and knows how to use it. I just dont do that in front of a swivel.

Come to think of it..........which knot is breaking? At the hook or at the swivel or ????

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 07:57 PM

yup, as in swedge!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:08 PM
knots

a swedge is great for BIG game !! but does add turbuance and a little over kill for even a big bull..I do think we were talking dorado.....K & T :cool:
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions..All the tackle is new, the one thing I remember is that the tackle store rigged all the feathers with 80lb flurocarbon... That crap is going in the garbage...

We launched at 6am and headed for the " super secret snapper spot" I'm not sure why they call it that since everyone knows exactly where it is.

My wife hooked on to the 16lb snapper on the first drop. We caught a few small pinto bass and decided to start trolling since this was a 1-dorado and 1-whatever else combined weight tournament.

After about 2 hours of nothing the quantum reel starts screaming, Dorado on and he's a pig.. We are high fiving and figure we have the tourny in the bag.... The fish jumps over a dozen times, no problem, I get him to the boat 4 times but he is still hot and not looking for a ride in the KeyWest. Paul grabs the long gaff but he can't reach the fish... finaly the pig starts to lay over near the surface and bam!! the damn leader pops. I'm ready to cry. I can't believe that fish was on for over 15 minutes and now it's gone.

We are all bummed but figure we still have a chance if we can catch another dodo. We troll for another 4 hrs and nothing. My team has given up on my rookie skills as a guide and decide it's naptime..

Then I notice something strange.. Pilot whales? WAKE UP, CHECK OUT THESE WHALES.. they are circling a dead seal... so we troll past numerous times to no avail.

About an hour later we finally hook up again... It's small but it's a dorado.

We haul ass back to the ramp, load up and talk to some of the other teams about the pig that got away (I have video). Stopped at pemex for 1300 peso's of fuel and a cold redbull. Paul takes the fish over for weigh in and we follow after rinsing off the gear. Paul say's "dude, were in 1st place".. I say "are we the first or only ones weighing in? LOL... The weights were low but I guess we had some good karma due and ended up in 1st place. I would like to thank my sleepy wife and Paul (who needs a day at gaff school) for a fun day on the Sea of Cortez...

capt. That cat is a 25' warlock, it's at havasu on the river. It's a little too fast for baja.:biggrin:

[Edited on 6-27-2012 by bigmike58]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt kw
a wedge is great for BIG game !! but does add turbulence and a little over kill for even a big bull..I do think we were talking dorado.....K & T :cool:

uh, sorry. I thought we were talking about 80# connections. a sleeve produces more "turbulence" than some bulky knot? im not arguing, just learning!:light:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 08:39 PM
big mike

nice pics..hey,whats the story on that red cat as your avatar ?? and I thought were were talking about dorado leaders breaking ?? I my self dont normally use leaders for dorado...so I now get the 80# side..I Think..12 hour day fixing boats...K&T..OUT
bigmike58
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
nice pics..hey,whats the story on that red cat as your avatar ?? and I thought were were talking about dorado leaders breaking ?? I my self dont normally use leaders for dorado...so I now get the 80# side..I Think..12 hour day fixing boats...K&T..OUT

The cat is a Warlock 25' bravo1 merc 454, it does 74mph gps, it would be fun in baja but not very practical so we use it at lake havasu and on the colorado mostly. Here is a pic at lake tahoe from last July.

Back to the trolling feathers.. I bought the unrigged feathers from a tackle shop and THEY offered to rig them. Since I didnt have a clue what to use I said "do whats best" and they added the leader,ball swivels, beads and double hook. I will take a picture of the dorado/sailfish trolling lure/feather whatever you wanna call it thing later today, I think I still have the broken leader that went thru the feather and was tried to the hook that still resides in the dodo's upper jaw. Time to launch..hope we get a couple nice ones today, the fishing is slow but it could bust wide open any day..
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 05:42 AM

On the knots. This works for me: palomar to 40#, perfection knot for heavier line, leaders. Seaguar knot for flouro leader to mono. All quick, neat.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 05:45 AM

The tuna are here in Palmas bay but most are footballs and they are all outside from 20 to 40. Using cedar plugs mostly because not much bait around.

Going out tomorrow so I'll report on what's what later.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 08:07 AM
big mike

SWEET !!!! Nice !! calif summer with a cat on a lake !! dosnt get any better than that!!! merc's rock !!!! my cat has (mercs) twin 2 stroke 75's and does a radar 55mph and will do it in 20+ knots in the ocean with breaking waves and swell..YAA BABY !! thanks for the pic !!started my day the good way !! K & T :cool: O.K. had coffee and reread your post (mike) I have found thur the years of fishing that the least termanel rigging the better !!! you do not need all that crap !!!! if your chaseing dorado 50 line and no leader.. if your lurE spins throw on a bearing swivel and thats IT..BTW black wire leader works Great..always KISS....keep it simple stu...K&T

[Edited on 6-27-2012 by captkw]
bigmike58
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 12:58 PM

Here are close up pics of the rigged feathers I bought.

brand new and unused and the knot he tied..

This is what is left after the fish breaks us off. Keep in mind it's the 80lb leader that is breaking.. not the 40lb line that the reel is loaded with.. that tells me the drag is fine but something else sucks..I'm leaning towards the flurocarbon leader material or the knot..
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 01:14 PM
KNOT

HOLA, I cant make out for shure what knot he used..I/myself prefer a 2 single hooks in tandom..(better hook set) and I only use a bearing swivel !! if at all !! that is a barrel swivel (bad) if line twist,, then yes, add bearing swivel...what line do you have spooled up and is it fresh..very important in my book !! I myself run 40lb triline and tie it right to the hooks and then after running and no twist in the line. if you get twist.take off everything and run it out behind the boat for a distance and reel it back and THEN add a swevel..also when your reeling in the empty line will help teach you about line drag in the water..dorado dont need a leader !! and I troll near ANYTHING on water for dodo's...K&T

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 01:30 PM

yup and fluorocarbon is notoriously brittle with poor knot strength. some guys even superglue the knot. dont know if that helps or not:?:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2012 at 01:45 PM
floro and braids

when I have guest's on board the good ole mono is forgiving of lesser bluewater anglers !! STREECH can be a help and is cheap,easy to work with and most of all IT WORKS K&T
bigmike58
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2012 at 06:45 PM

Headed out to do some trolling for dorado with the entire family today since bouyweather said it was gonna be nice and smooth... they lied again! Since it was rough we decided to hide behind the point and troll whatever smooth water we could find, no matter what the depth.

I started off my day with the breakfast of champions,

.The first hour or two were pretty nice,

Then the wind picked up and we started trolling in shallow water and my wife and daughter caught 3 dorado's.. not big, 8-10 lbs, but still fun.

My daughter yells "SOMETHING IS HITTING THE LURE" ..We see a fish making multiple attacks on a blk/red feather,

My wife grabs the rod and the fight is on!! She lands our first ever roosterfish!
It was soooooo cool!!

Pulled this flying fish out of the stomach of one dorado...

We are looking forward to tomorrows adventure!!

[Edited on 6-29-2012 by bigmike58]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2012 at 06:58 PM
big mike

Hola, since I only fish the winters.. I have to put up with the northerns and I still catch dodos when its blowing..I just make sure that the lures run a little deeper and pop and smoke like MAD !!! also like to run figure 8's once in a while and dont troll strait all the the time.. a constant S seems in to bring to the bite better....and as a pointer get ride of those "tuna" hooks!! run 2 in tandom and razor sharpe...good hooks are priceless..like owners,,gomagotsu's (wrong spelling) some mustad's..this my thought and are open to discussion..keep in mind that I have run boats from alaska to panama with the big H islands tossed in..and I'm always open to new fishing tricks..tight lines..K & T :cool: PS..what area are ya fishing???

[Edited on 6-29-2012 by captkw]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.