Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Bad news checkpoint south of EL Rosario
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 05:43 PM

Thanks Bajacactus,
I never think about taking the names of the soldiers down, since I had never had any problems at military checkpoints before. I would really appreciate if you could find out the names. We went through around 11am if this helps.
Thanks again

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 05:50 PM
Jide...

So, you passed thru there on october 19th at around 11:00 am.....am I correct?

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 12:57 AM

yes, that's right

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 08:03 AM
Our specific El Rosario date/time/info

Ann O'Neil and I had this experience at approximately 4:00 PM on October 14--a week ago today. These two men appeared to be in charge, based on both their different light-camo uniforms and aggressive manner, and the fact that the others all stood back and away, watching but not interfering. The one who made the dog-throat slitting threat (driver's side) was about 5'5" and 160 pounds. He had more extreme features --angular. Another hint they were in charge is the fact that when the man who was trying to get Ann out of the car was diverted by the next car (after she wouldn't get out without his help), one of the soldiers who had been standing back in solid uniform, came forward and almost whispered to her that she did'nt have to get out. He seemed embarrassed and didn't want the "whackos" to hear him tell her this. I have emailed Ann and asked her for any further details she can provide, and I thank all of you for your interest in this. Kirk Connally [PS: I am posting using the anonymous feature because it is faster and easier. My 2 attempts to register failed. As an aside, I am a part time resident of Loreto, and have driven this r/t route 3 times a year since 1989. Ann O'neil's reputation speaks for itself.]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 08:41 AM

Memorize:
Dejemame ver tu gafete.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2004 at 11:42 PM

Here's Ann O'Neil with her books at Viva Baja #3... just over 2 years ago.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 02:07 PM

BajaCactus, have you been able to get the name of those soldiers?
thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 03:33 PM
Kirk Connally!

Please contact Antonio via email: info*at*bajacactus.com (change *at* to @) regarding your ordeal at the checkpoint. I already was able to get jide and Antonio connected via phone today, as I have jide's phone # and Antonio needs to speak with you, too. If you register here at Nomad, then I could use the U2U service.

Antonio knows and has an appointment with the comandante in charge of those soldiers. Let's just say, he isn't happy! They need details...

Antonio phoned me today from Tijuana, upon his return from El Rosario, he will be on the computer tonight.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 08:41 PM
Need to contact you...!!!

Hi Kirk and Jide...:D

I am sorry I took so long to post this info, but I have been extremely busy with the opening of our new 12 rooms....

About your sour experiences... I feel very bad about this situations, in fact, I would like to offer you an apology for the behaviour of some of our soldiers...

Now.... I went a little bit further in these matters.... I printed out what you have posted here and, yesterday, I personally took some copies to....

1.- Liutenant Coronel of Infantery Carlos Hern?ndez Ram?rez, 2nd in Command of the 67th Batallion of Infantery... and personally responsible for the military checkpoints south of San Quint?n.

He was very concerned about these incidents and asked me to reply to you some apologies and his personal promise to investigate this matter. This was yesterday afternoon (Oct. 27th about 2:00 pm).

Today, Oct 28th at 1:00 pm, I received a phone call from him... from El Rosario....he went there specifically to interview his soldiers... it seems he is really putting in some heart to clear this issues.

He asked me to contact you and ask for some more specifics... like type of vehicle you were driving, color and more importantly... the position, as precise as possible, of the military chekpoint.... it seems they move them continuosly and he needs to know how far south of El Rosario was this.

He explained to me that they have all those activities perfectly logged... so, with this info, he will be able to resolve this matter faster.

Please contact me at info@bajacactus.com to send me this info.

2.- I also met with the Director of the Tourims Departament of Ensenada and explained the situation... he listened with much atention.. and he promised to send those complaints to the appropiate departaments of the Mexican Government. He also asked me to extend all of you an open invitation to visit his office for whatever problems and/or help you may need while in Baja... anytime.

They are located in

Centro de Gobierno
Blvd. L?zaro C?rdenas No. 1477
Ensenada, B.C.
Ph. (646) 172-3022 / Fax: (646) 172-3081

3.- Finally, I also let some printouts with the President of the Association of Hotels and Motels of Baja California.... they also have plenty of contacts with many Organization, like the Chamber of Commerce, Chamber of Tourism... and some others which may be able to help.

Kirk Conelly and Jide.... please send me all the info the Liutenant Coronel is asking ASAP, so he may be able to act and correct these situations.

Thank you guys... we will see what comes out of all this. If you believe there is something else we could do, let me know.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 10-29-2004 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2004 at 08:57 PM
Muchas gracias Antonio

Don't know if any of you are aware but Antonio's plate is already pretty full to be doing these kind of things.
For the future, anyone who is having problems with soldiers, police, anybody, take notes, have them ready, and then make a complaint on here or to the authorities. Pretty simple actually.
These bad guys will be dealt with and not by being sent to a useless jail. They will be humiliated, punished and more than likely will learn a lesson to not do it again.
The u.s. system of justice could certainly learn from a system that works. These "crooks" will learn a valuable lesson from this and so will their friends.
I bet they will be the talk of every revision for quite some time.:lol:
And you will either get your camera back or be compensated if you can prove the accusations.

Try this with the P-nche u.s.border patrol!!:O
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 04:56 PM

Antonio, I just emailed you the requested info.
Thank you again for taking the time to investigate!
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 05:19 PM
Camera details....

Hi Jide...

I got your e-mail and gave it to the ones in charge...

They called me yesterday and asked me if you could give us your camera details... brand, model.. etc..

It seems they have advanced a lot in their investigation and they now need that info.

Please let me know.

BajaCactus
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 06:47 PM

It was a Fujifilm brand/ Finepix model digital camera, with a silver sliding lense cover, hope this helps....
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 07:04 PM
Jide,

They will probably want the model of finepix. Mine's a S602 but there are a few different models.
This makes me wonder if they happen to have a whole collection of them that they have to look through to find yours.:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-5-2004 at 09:20 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 10:22 PM
Camera model...

Jide...

JR is right.... they will need the model....

And Grover... you are also right... I will post all the details on this after I send the requested info on the camera to the Liutenant Coronel in L?zaro C?rdenas... they are taking this matter very seriously and professionally...

:D

BajaCactus
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 11:33 PM
And the soldiers name was...

Major Pen en Diaz!
:o:lol:
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 08:52 AM

I rolled through this checkpoint a few weeks ago at 10pm. While I did not get the best vibes, we had no problems. But, I also got the feeling that the checkpoint was set-up that evening or a temporary one. I don't know just seemed strange that evening.

But, with regards to the dogs, I had a friend who stopped at a checkpoint with his dogs in the back of his truck cab. He said the dogs weren't mean but to be careful to the soldiers. One of the soldiers was nipped on the finger before my friend could let the dogs out.

The soldiers said the dog's throat had to be slit and killed to test for rabies. They were dead serious about this. Well, my friend couldn't go home without the dogs. He offered money, other valuables, anything he could think of without any luck.

The matter got very tense when the soldier tapped a knife on my friend's chest indicating that he was very serious about the matter. Other soldiers started to approach with fingers on the triggers of their guns. Well, my friend was finally able to leave with the dogs.

At first when I heard the story, I was horrified. But then, we both talked further about dogs and their relative importance in different societies. The US is one of only a few countries that I can think of that admires dogs the way we do. From what I can determine from my travels and friends in Mexico, a dog is primarily used for security. The soldiers seemed very confused as to why my friend was so attached to the dog.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone since a dog was involved. Best advice when stopping at a checkpoint is to get your dog out of the car.

Finally, I have a routine with my wife at the checkpoints. I assist the officers as they check out the back of the truck. Her job is to monitor the inspection of the cab. Also, we try not to leave any valuables in the open (common sense).

Thanks to Baja Cactus for getting the local word out.

Zac
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 09:00 AM

Hi Zac, I am wondering why your friend didn't produce the proof of rabies vaccination he is required to have for his dog while in Mexico?

Thanks again for sending the photographs of your Baja wedding vacation. I posted one of them here on Nomad (you both running on the beach at Cocina Pacifica, Elias Calles).

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 09:18 AM

Dave-

My friend, owner of Cocina Pacifica, lives in Baja and was travelling north. That, and I really doubt that a certificate would have helped. The soldiers were pretty insistent that when a dog bites someone that the dog is killed on the spot.

Wouldn't it be great to have a soldier as a Nomad? We could get so much information first hand. Okay DK, that's your new assignment.

Zac

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.