Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 2012 Baja 1000
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 10:37 PM

well for one thing these three races inject over thirty million dollars into the mexican economy, so I think they can tolerate a little trash.
and secondly, ONCE AGAIN, when you see something in "baja off roading" why don't you just skip down???:?:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

eureka.gif posted on 8-9-2012 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy when you see something in "baja off roading" why don't you just skip down???:?:

because sometimes I see people say things like this:

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy ...these three races... I think they can tolerate a little trash.

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

give a hoot, don't pollute!

lend a hand, care for the land!

every litter bit hurts!

how much litter could a litter picker pick, if a litter picker would pick litter?

:light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light::light:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 11:04 PM

hey! you edited out the thirty million dollar figure! why?:?:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
hey! you edited out the thirty million dollar figure! why?:?:

because it was irrelevant, as there is no excuse for littering. that's why
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2012 at 11:25 PM

so there!:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 01:15 AM

There is no excuse for trashing the desert... and with almost no exception, it is the 'locals' who come out from Ensenada or where ever to watch the race ... and they leave piles of trash, beer bottles, etc.

It is their country, and we can only hope that they soon can figure it out... If you can bring the bottles out there full, then it should be even easier to take them back empty!

[Edited on 8-10-2012 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DonBaja
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruzin'

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 09:51 AM

It has been my experience that the trash left behind at the baja races is from the citizens of Mexico, and not American racers or spectators...I'm not sure but I believe SCORE goes back and regrades the main dirt roads after the race, if they don't then I agree that they should.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 11:10 AM

SCORE does not grade the roads or pay to have them graded after a race. SCORE pays the Ejido and/or land owner based on the number of entries. It is the Ejido or land owner who is responsible for grading the road. Sal likes to use the same course as much as possible because he is dealing with mostly the same people.

The entry fee for racing in SCORE is only a small part of the overall cost of racing the SCORE races. You have the vehicle, spare parts, pit service fees or have your own pits, your chase people and all the cost they have, etc. From 92 thru 94 we ran a motorcycle team racing SCORE, Baja Promotions, BITD, and Mammoth MX. We spent $75,000 per year. We purchased two new bikes per year.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 11:16 AM

Thus, we see the roads not always fixed, as the ejidos do not use the money paid to them responsibly... or for what it is intended.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thus, we see the roads not always fixed, as the ejidos do not use the money paid to them responsibly... or for what it is intended.

sorry - but it is grossly naive to assume or expect that money given to them will be used as the giver intended - and forget contracts. Or to ever expect them to act responsibly. You're talking about a poor populace living in a 3rd world. They are going to put the $$ to whatever need makes their immediate list - that could be food, feed, medicines, school, stock, you name it. Bad roads they are used to and can live with them.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 03:21 PM

In 12 years of driving the races, and another dozen doing pits, support and spectating, I did not see much impact from the Gringos.

The locals treat these races as a national holiday, with huge gatherings of spectators, piles of trash, etc.

Also, I never saw a Gringo dig a trench across the race road, flood a low spot or make the slow "bull fighter macho stroll" in front of a truck coming on at 100 mph.

But I saw many, many locals playing these very dangerous games.

$30m is big bucks for a region as remote and depressed as Baja. I know there are down sides to the race, but when they stop these events the locals will howl louder than anyone.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 03:23 PM

^^^nuff said^^^

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 04:18 PM

Honda want $2000 if paid before Oct. 15th and $2400 after that date to pit a CRF bike and $1600 for an TRX and XR bikes.

Mag 7
FULL SERVICE CAR,TRUCK,BUGGY, UTV-SBS: $850.00

EMERGENCY ONLY: $400.00

FULL SERVICE BIKE, QUAD: $850.00 *INCLUDES FUEL*

EMERGENCY ONLY: $300.00

For cars, trucks, buggy's, UTV-SBS's all fuel is charged separately as you order it based on quantity ordered & octane.

Fuel prices vary and will not be available from VP-Amber until mid-Sept. SIGN UP NOW FOR SUPPORT AND WILL WILL BILL YOU LATER WHEN FUEL PRICES ARE PUBLISHED.

Baja pits doesn't have any prices posted yet.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 04:36 PM
$2000 to pit??

"Back in the day" we had a bunch of us banded together into a support team known as FAIR (First Association of Independent Racers) A typical race had 50 or more of us "team" members.
You had to provide one support vehicle with at least one guy, willing to go wherever the team assigned him.
You provided your own gas, marked and sent to the pit that you designated, same with spare tires, etc.
You agreed that the gas and spares belonged to the entire team, once you had dropped out, or gone past without needing them.
After the race all the gas cans, spares, etc. came back to town and we sorted them out.
I do not recall any kind of fee, but we probably all chipped in $50 or $100 for extras.
I still have some of my FAIR stickers affixed to stuff in my shop, and a jacket patch up on my racing shelf.

Ah, the good old days- we raced for fun, we didn't know any better.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 06:18 PM

I used to be a pit captain for Los Campeones Race Team (Vista, CA). We volunteered, didn't get paid... it was fun when you are young! However, if you hauled fuel and that racer didn't use it, then it was ours to use... Nothing better than 108 octane on a hot Baja day to get you home! Pitted for the Baja 1000, Baja Internacional (500), and the Parker 400.

In recent history, we helped pit for Baja Pits (El Cajon, CA) at the Baja 500 and Baja 1000, in 2006. We had over 100 racers to pit for!

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 06:54 PM

The entry fee for your team will be app. $4,200.oo by the time we pay our
membership fees, for 3 drivers and 3 co-riders! Over four there is a additional fee!! But we keep coming back, Addictions are hard to break::lol:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 10:43 AM

no wonder he [Sal] is winding down to 3 in 2013.
my bet he's made his $$ and is getting out.
if he can continue to excise these kind of fees it just says that there are people who place enough fun value in it to justify paying, and can afford it.
good for them. Out of my league though.
Now - i do know people who spend a fortune to race Reno air every Sept.
those amounts ARE mind boggling.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 07:12 PM
Just asking ...

When Mikey Thompson started this was it called Southern California Off-Road Enthusiasts?

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
When Mike Thompson started this was it called Southern California Off-Road Enthusiasts?

Sanctioning Committee of Off Road Events.
But before Baja races were included, it was Short Course Off Road Enterprises. Mickey invissioned stadium or grandstand viewing races (such as they used to have at Riverside Raceway), as the future of the sport and a way to collect money from spectators.

[Edited on 8-12-2012 by David K]

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 08:22 PM

To run the Baja 1000 on pavement is borderline sacreligious.

SCORE always pays the gummint for damage to the road but the gumming, naturally, keeps the money and doesn't fix the road damage...so the "peasants" suffer for SCORE's fun and the gummint's corruption.

...SNAFU

BB:-(
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.