Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Wandering Up & Down Baja
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
love the pics of the dogs .... so cute their sleeping side by side !

campo rene is one of those special places ... and well worth a meal as well ... we have friends who stay there every year, thru the summer, for 3 months escaping the Bay of LA heat. swimming - beaches - BBQs - they even have internet.

next time we shall have to plan for the cave paintings, an overnight along the path the Indians used and of course, you have to visit Puerto Nuevo.

so much to do !

Sounds like a plan!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
Thanks for your great report and pictures, love them. Also love your doggies. That's a tight pair, at play and at rest.

John

Yes, they are very close. It's cool. The small one sleeps on top of the big one sometimes.

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 02:15 PM

Great report and very creative photos!
I was wondering if you saw any aircraft at Campo Rene. I'm curious if their airstrip is active?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
I was wondering if you saw any aircraft at Campo Rene. I'm curious if their airstrip is active?

The airstrip looked like it was in good shape and I'd guess it's active. However I didn't see a single plane anywhere, except for the Abreojos strip which had takeoffs and landings occurring.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 04:01 PM

Day 4:

Woke up to more surf. Size was still the same as yesterday.

We decided to head to La Bocana and visit Blanca and Les. The salt flat road out there is awesome. Only took 15 minutes from Abreojos.

We arrived in La Bocana and I used instinct to find Blanca's Bed and Breakfast. Just look for the place in her avatar! We were just in time for lunch - even though we had a lunch packed we couldn't turn down her Brazilian Chicken Stroganoff (that was the name right Blanca?), veggies, cole slaw, and rice. IT WAS EPIC, and I didn't know this lunch was to help raise $$$ for the school kids trip to London next year!! Sorry Blanca, I didn't donate any cash!

Anyways, somehow during lunch I obtained the large serving spoon and was using it to shovel loads of food into my pie hole. Les noticed and gave everyone a good laugh at my expense. I was even redder than usual -- blushing like crazy!

We also got to meet another Nomad -- Bobby (don't know his screen name) and his wife(?) Wendy. They were super cool and we felt we bonded with them instantly. They were escaping the La Paz heat, and headed for San Juanico. Hope they made it!

After lunch, Blanca gave us a tour of La Bocana. It was like the president giving you a tour of Washington DC. -- she knew town quite well.

Abalone Farm

Panga launch.

Local Catholic Church w/new tall steeple.

Blanca's cactus garden. The back yard was awesome too (check David K's report for photos).

More Blanca's B&B:

After the tour we decided to check out La Bocanita Beach:

We scheduled a dinner at Joaquin's and bailed back to Abre for some ice cream and a razor.

More to follow..................when I get time. Had a great time in La Bocana!! Next time we're staying at the B&B.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 04:17 PM

Day 5:

SUNRISE!!!

Scorpions were everywhere..............here was tiny bugger:

Dead Dolphin

Extraction for mi ninos.

Back to La Bocana for dinner at Joaquin's. Don't know what to say about this except it was quite possibly the best meal I've ever eaten in Mexico. Great conversation (although I need to get better with my Spanish), great company (Blanca y Les, Co-Op president, Co-Op inspectors, and a few more that wandered by. I won't forget this meal.

We drove the salt flats back, in the dark, very carefully and with full stomachs.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 04:47 PM

very nice! awesome surf for days, good people around every turn, and a store that sells canned good stuff!!!!;)

good times.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 04:59 PM

Yeah Woody. I bought you a can of Jurel, but I really don't want to part with it........:lol::lol::lol:

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 06:18 PM

My new pal "Cholo" in LB set me up with half a dozen cans of both the smoked and the marinated. We bought several more. Around here the cans are opened for special occasions only. The canned Bonita is good too. And the frozen lobster....and...and...:lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 09:13 PM

I got some of the Bonita too............haven't tried it yet. Also bought a $8.00 can of something that I don't remember what the heck it is. Snails?

Will advise once I open.

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
My new pal "Cholo" in LB set me up with half a dozen cans of both the smoked and the marinated. We bought several more. Around here the cans are opened for special occasions only. The canned Bonita is good too. And the frozen lobster....and...and...:lol:

vivaloha
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 05:20 AM

So many good times - meals, waves, friends, dog fun, rugged drives,
Rootsy and rad trip!

Baja California can be a heaven or hell experience - often the determining factor is your AWARENESS in the moment.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Also bought a $8.00 can of something that I don't remember what the heck it is. Snails?

must be the caracol. it is pretty damn good also. tell mama to run and hide when you open the can. it has a certain afrodeesiac quality about it!:lol:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 08:52 AM

wow ! very nice photos and the lunch was for you two from me ! When the lunch is part of the teen thing THEY prepare it LOL

we ate at Joaquin's again last night and it was so great - we had black sea bass that he himself had caught, his famous salad and even more famous home made creamed corn. Oh my gosh ... we rolled out of the restaurant. It was so so hot that we all hung out on the top new porch area. we had never done that before.

come back soon !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 09:04 AM

I forgot about the creamed corn!!! Lucy is gonna try to replicate it one of these days. I'll let you know how it goes! It was nice hanging out!
Jon

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
wow ! very nice photos and the lunch was for you two from me ! When the lunch is part of the teen thing THEY prepare it LOL

we ate at Joaquin's again last night and it was so great - we had black sea bass that he himself had caught, his famous salad and even more famous home made creamed corn. Oh my gosh ... we rolled out of the restaurant. It was so so hot that we all hung out on the top new porch area. we had never done that before.

come back soon !

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 10:23 AM

Day 6:

Here we go..........................time to pack up camp and start working our way home. We stopped by Blanca's to say bye, dropped off some sausages for Les (no more camping for us and can't bring back across the border) , and bailed to Bahia Asuncion.

New water pipes coming in from Vizcaino (David K mentioned this in his recent report - some overlap here!)

We ventured off the beaten path to San Hipolito looking for surf.............

We arrived in Bahia Asuncion and headed over to Shari's. Some photos here are a little blurry due to my camera being infiltrated with sand at Abreojos and no longer focusing correctly.

Shari makes some kick ass jewelry. We bought some earrings for my daughter and a necklace for my son.

Unfortunately we had to bail Asuncion too soon. We really wanted to stay in the Rock room, but I promised mi esposa that I'd take her to Bahia de los Angleles before we headed home. Shari offered a beer and gave us a tour of the B&B. Really quite impressive. The new upstairs they're working on is going to be amazing. We're coming back Shari!

We got some ice cream on the way out of town. I think this is the place you recommended Shari?

I wanted more Jurel after the kick ass sandwich I had earlier so we stopped for re-supply.

Off to B of LA..............I know, we're crazy for going there in AUGUST. A promise was a promise tho.............

The road lived up to it's bad name. Actually it wasn't too bad except for a few areas.

We arrived in B of LA around 7PM. This was one of those Baja experiences that tests your resolve. Highs and lows. This was my first time in town and I had no idea where to stay. We went to 6 different hotels, looking for the one with the best AC. All the AC units looked ancient. We we're very unimpressed at the accommodations. I figured with all the gringos coming here over the years there'd be a nice hotel to stay at. I was ready to pay the money to have some slice of luxury. Did I miss a hotel somewhere? Does a decent hotel exist here? We ended up back at Los Corales, across from the Pemex. Very new, clean, and a decent AC unit. We headed to Alejandrina's for dinner and asked if they new anyone who would take us for a ride in a boat. 10 minutes later a dude showed up and said he'd meet us at 8 AM the following day for a tour of the Bay.

Last day to follow.............

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by Ateo]

[Edited on 8-19-2012 by Ateo]

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 10:46 AM

Lovin the report! I need a wife who packs my van, camps, cooks ribs and can live off brats!! But I wouldn`t promise a trip to LA Bay in Aug!!
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 10:50 AM

BOLA hotel = Casa del Sol according to the folks at Kiki's in San Felipe. But when I went through in February, they were full up and you needed a reservation to have a room.

I'm waiting for more recommends from this forum......

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 10:54 AM

Final 2 days:

Crazy dog:

We woke up early to meet Bacilio (our panga man). Our neighbors were gonna go with us and split the costs but they said they were too dehydrated from the day before. WTF? Mix in some water for chrise sake. =) They were young Europeans. We we're old Americans. We sacked up and drove to Bacilio's. He decided to take the big panga out, and we we're stoked cuz we had it all to ourselves. Cost a bit more, but it was well worth it.

And sorry to all the Vegans out there............

Back at Hotel Los Corales. We asked for a late checkout and they obliged. Then we hit the road and stopped outside of Catavina for some photos:

8 more photos to follow after I eat breakfast.................

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Lovin the report! I need a wife who packs my van, camps, cooks ribs and can live off brats!! But I wouldn`t promise a trip to LA Bay in Aug!!

Thanks! I got some fishing photos to post in a minute. Yeah, the wife is very cool. Gracias.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 10:58 AM

Casa del Sol is one WE DIDN'T check out. Wish we had though from the sound of it. Thanks. MORE RECOMMENDATIONS NOMADS?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
BOLA hotel = Casa del Sol according to the folks at Kiki's in San Felipe. But when I went through in February, they were full up and you needed a reservation to have a room.

I'm waiting for more recommends from this forum......

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.