Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Parking problems in Loreto
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 08:31 PM

The fees are $129.00 pesos to launch and retrieve your boat. And parking on Agua Dulce. Only problem is limited parking and not secure. Most of us can live with the ramp fees though not everyone pays the same fee. But it's Loreto get on with it
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 10:51 AM

Dennis , ramp tax was referenced but is really a ramp fee.As CJ said , its only 129 pesos but the rub is that there is no parking for your trailer and truck except on Aqua Dulce. This ramp was free of charge for many years and conveinent for most pats living in Loreto. The other rub is that not everyone is paying the fee .However , they make sure every gringo pays.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua
Dennis , ramp tax was referenced but is really a ramp fee.As CJ said , its only 129 pesos but the rub is that there is no parking for your trailer and truck except on Aqua Dulce. This ramp was free of charge for many years and conveinent for most pats living in Loreto. The other rub is that not everyone is paying the fee .However , they make sure every gringo pays.

Thanks for filling us in. Are there any alternatives? Sounds like a good time for a rebellion.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
The other rub is that not everyone is paying the fee .However , they make sure every gringo pays.

The upside.. There is still only one line for launching we all wait in, and locals don't seem to mind as they spend time collecting our money...
:biggrin:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 11:33 AM

My take on all this and I may be way off....is API (a form of a port authority) needed to make some security upgrades on the insistance of the cruise ships that come into Loreto several times in the fall and winter months.

Such as, pipe fencing on the northern side of the breakwater, moveable portable fencing directly in front of the path leading to the dock area, a "shade" affair directly at the top of the dock and a security gate directly at the mouth of the path leading to the dock area, and a padlocked iron gate directly at the top of the ramp.
None of which, by the way, benefits small boat fishermen who launch from the ramp.

All this is well and good but should the recreational boater be paying for all this? API is in charge of this security and needed some funds I suppose?

To those who don't live here and see 129 pesos as reasonable, you should remember that a one time president of Mexico GIFTED that ramp to the people of Loreto. Gifted!!...as in here you are people..from the Government to you!!

Now along comes some obscure government agency in charge of "ports" and collects 129 pesos each and everytime a recreational boater launches.
In fact, API has installed a motorhome at the side of the ramp where the enforcer hangs out and is at the ready with his receipt book.

Pangueros are cut a break because they make their living off the sea and the use of that ramp. They pay under 100 pesos a month from what I understand.
Even non panguero locals (Mexican) who happen to use the ramp to take the family out fishing or to the islands, get a pass...so calling it a "gringo tax" seems on the mark.

Loreto is no more a port than Los Cabos is a inexpensive destination.
API deemed it a "port" when the Dutch flagged cruise ships started anchoring off the harbor area. (assumption on my part)

La Paz is a port, Manzanillo is a port, Mazatlan is a port, Guaymas is a port, but Loreto?..yeah buddy!!

Since charging for use of the ramp, there is ZERO to show for it.
All there is, is a man in a dark blue uniform with a receipt book in hand and a old motorhome taking up space beside the ramp where he hangs out waiting to pounce on you.

I don't launch much anymore as I have lost some interest since this tax was put in place and I think more than a few are hostile about it also.
But in my heyday...I would use that ramp a couple of times a week.
Yeah your going to say "chump change buddy" and I would agree to a point but NOT when the full on President of Mexico GIFTED that ramp to me and everyone else who lives here.
Gifted is like FREE isn't it?

OK....I will take some cheese with my whine now thank you!!

[Edited on 10-9-2012 by DaliDali]

fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 12:26 PM

Nicely said "Dali Dali"...I'm cruising the areas of concern with camera in hand, see how many violaters that I can find over the next couple of weeks. My friends left Loreto without catching fish, but they did stop in Bahia de Los Angeles for a few days and caught plenty of Dorado to take home and didn't have to pay anything to launch their boat in BOLA..This 129 pesos may not be much to some, but trying to make ends meet on your Social Security check its enough to make you want to move elsewhere.
Even if they did provide parking for all of us, there wouldn't be any security and many of us have already had our vehicles either "keyed" or broken into when we did park on the Malecon.. I guess the only answer to all of this, is to hire someone to launch you in the morning, drive your vehicle and trailer back home and pick you up when you come back, in the afternoon. Might be a money maker..
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali

Yeah your going to say "chump change buddy" and I would agree to a point but NOT when the full on President of Mexico GIFTED that ramp to me and everyone else who lives here.

Sorry but there isn't a gift from any government in the world that is free. someone payed for it! and now you are paying for the rest of the story.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

Sorry but there isn't a gift from any government in the world that is free. someone payed for it! and now you are paying for the rest of the story.

Are you kidding?...Obama himself told me he would take care of my entire life, just like a "gift" from the Government..and you and everyone else would pay for me....and now your telling me it was hogwash??.....damn it all!!!
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 02:46 PM

We know at least one local who was being charged the full (129P) ramp fee to launch his panga at the darcena. He is now launching his boat in Zaragoza. FYI
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 05:51 PM

I used to love going to Loreto, just another reason now to go somewhere else and stop there for Pemex and tacos

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 06:13 PM

Quote:

I toungue-in-cheek referred to the "fee" as a tax, because, to me there is little difference between a government fee and a government tax. In theory the legislature has to vote on a tax, but government officials can levy a "fee" any time they like. It still amounts to money that moves from my pocket to their's.
Actually I've gotten used to the fee (like they know we would) as I only go out occasionally. I feel bad for guys like Fish101 and others who like to go out several times a week when the bite is good. The parking thing however is totally unreasonable. If you can't park your trailer in a reasonable distance from the ramp, you essentially can't use the ramp no matter what it costs. Something has to change.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
I used to love going to Loreto, just another reason now to go somewhere else and stop there for Pemex and tacos

Loreto is still a nice place Mr Acadist...really it is and I would hate to see you pass up a great time here.

The problem is IMO (sorry again) the town of Loreto is in a CREESUS....or crisis.
I live right next door to Mexicans and use Mexican labor and shop at Mexican stores and generally spread my pesos throughout town as best I can.

Every Mexican I come into contact with, tells me the same thing....there are NO jobs here. The Municipo has NO money...the town is in a CREESUS!!

Furthermore, these same people are telling me the Municipo has not paid the municipal workers for 6 quinsenas (6 two week pay periods or 2 1/2 months!!)
This comes from more than one person and actually several, so I dont' cast it off as "rumbles"

And to toss fire on all this is that the Presidente of the town is planning a quinceanera (15 birthday for a girl) his daughter in a Nopolo hotel (south of town 12 clicks) and that her dress is reported to cost 20 thousand pesos (20,000.00) Twenty thousand!!
That is just for the dress!!!
I have seen a photo of that dress and my gawd is it awesome!!! Flowing blue and white...fit for a queen actually!

I don't know about you or others but to me that flies in the face of the workers not being paid for 6 weeks!!! Or not....depending on your outlook.

I am not sure what this has to do with API charging boaters the tax, or the state of affairs with the parking, but it might give you or others an insight as to what is going on here locally....

Were a happy lot here...enjoying the Sea and the small town feel.
The cervesa is still cold and the Sea is still here to enjoy.
Come on down or up as the case my be.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 06:59 PM

For anyone who has read Zack Thomas's Book, "The Angler's Guide to Trailer Boating Baja" knows, the only ramps with fees that I am aware of is Cabo, Ensenada, Puerto Escondido and very high tourist use areas. To move Loreto into that position with it's rather questionable ramp is the definition of lunacy. I would pay a fee in the US but would recieve secure parking, cleaning stations, restrooms, and the like, but to pay because someone wants more money is nothing more than the ripoff that is justified on the part of some Mexicans who percieve all gringos as being rich and loaded. It is a part of the rich should pay more mentality that drives me nuts.

It was my understanding from talking to some of the locals on one of my trips down there that a large number of people who depended on the tourist trade were very upset because they thought that a small group of people were taking people out fishing which was cutting into the charter business. In my business experience, if that was happening to me, I would change some of the small things I did and make the chartering experience more enjoyable and beat my competition out of the possibility by providing more services or whatever.

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Loreto is still a nice place Mr Acadist...really it is and I would hate to see you pass up a great time here.

The problem is IMO (sorry again) the town of Loreto is in a CREESUS....or crisis.
I live right next door to Mexicans and use Mexican labor and shop at Mexican stores and generally spread my pesos throughout town as best I can.

Every Mexican I come into contact with, tells me the same thing....there are NO jobs here. The Municipo has NO money...the town is in a CREESUS!!

Furthermore, these same people are telling me the Municipo has not paid the municipal workers for 6 quinsenas (6 two week pay periods or 2 1/2 months!!)
This comes from more than one person and actually several, so I dont' cast it off as "rumbles"

And to toss fire on all this is that the Presidente of the town is planning a quinceanera (15 birthday for a girl) his daughter in a Nopolo hotel (south of town 12 clicks) and that her dress is reported to cost 20 thousand pesos (20,000.00) Twenty thousand!!
That is just for the dress!!!
I have seen a photo of that dress and my gawd is it awesome!!! Flowing blue and white...fit for a queen actually!

I don't know about you or others but to me that flies in the face of the workers not being paid for 6 weeks!!! Or not....depending on your outlook.

I am not sure what this has to do with API charging boaters the tax, or the state of affairs with the parking, but it might give you or others an insight as to what is going on here locally....

Were a happy lot here...enjoying the Sea and the small town feel.
The cervesa is still cold and the Sea is still here to enjoy.
Come on down or up as the case my be.

I am not there all the time but it seems the Creesus seems to have started many years ago, prior to the ramp and parking troubles. I do love your little town, it was what got me loving Baja, but there were too many 'boat rides' and iffy fishing. I enjoy the town, the food, the shopping but have much better fishing in Mulege or La Paz. As a consumer with limited time and funds I just needed to optimize my Baja experience.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2012 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

but there were too many 'boat rides' and iffy fishing.

Bingo!!....Many a day I have just taken a boat ride!!..
But hey...200 pesos for a few macs....129 pesos to launch...300 pesos to Pemex....it's all good!!!!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.