Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Bajadock Southbound
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 10:06 AM

Hey
If you make it over to San Jose del Cabo, please stop in. We are over the bridge from San Jose toward Puerto Los Cabos. Third traffic circle after you leave the bridge look for our signs....Baja Books Maps....you basically take a left at this circle.
Buen Viaje

PS Major drool on my keyboard from your food pic.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 07:22 AM

In Bahia Asuncion enjoying coffee above the waves. Will post photos by tomorrow of the adventures in first few days. cheers

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 07:29 AM

Lots of bugs (gnats and mosquitos) in Todos Santos. Get some bug dope and stuff to put on bites etc.

Buen Viaje!

No worries
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 10:54 AM

I rented a Vibe for several months in Silicone Valley. Out of 2500 Avis days, it was a memorably good little car. The Toyota can be had with 4WD. Pontiac too?

Up here they are almost as good as a Subaru in the winter.

And yes, chick magnet cute.

Enjoy your drive. Mine will be 4 1/2 tons of 8 foot wide diesel smoking 'home' again. Enjoy your narrowness.:lol::lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 02:25 PM

Here is the rear hatch view of the packed Pontiac Vibrator. We were gassing up in Maneadero on our way to San Quintin Thursday.

Early tragedy was the crash and burn of my 2.5 gallon water jug that I brought along for fresh water convenience. Not to self: when you put the water container in a convenient access spot, like near the starboard rear passenger door, if things shift, that water container may jump on to the concrete. OUCH!

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 02:31 PM

Thanks to Fernando, our host at Hotel Jardines, San Quintin, we found this fine little mariscos shop. It is located approx 1 mile north of the military base. There are a handful of palapa-roofed stands on east side of highway.
Manuel and team provided fun service, a dozen very fresh and juicy oysters and one of the best mixed ceviches we have ever enjoyed. We also asked the usual permission to open our beers here and they had no problem with that.

We tipped appropriately for the good food, smiling service and local atmosphere.

Had so much food and relaxation that we were not up for dinner at Jardines. My last/only visit to Jardines restaurant was in 2006 when it was located in the main building. I preferred the older, funkier atmosphere to the new "banquet hall" feel of the bar and restaurant.

Next stop is Guerrero Negro for some supplies and the food at Malarimo Beach Hotel.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Boxed wine and Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Very classy, Doc. :lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Much to our surprise, it appears that Pabst Blue Ribbon has made a major comeback. We didn't even know it still existed until we were edumacated by our sons.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Much to our surprise, it appears that Pabst Blue Ribbon has made a major comeback. We didn't even know it still existed until we were edumacated by our sons.

Major comeback...for sure. I'll bet Doc's garage is loaded with the stuff. :lol:
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 09:55 PM

Hey, PBR is a fun beer. Check out taste tests of PBR vs. Stella.

And, any recommendations on La Paz hotels, water views, ambiance, malecon???

Hanging in Loreto 2nite at Hotel La Mision. WOW! Will catch up with pics from G.N. and beyond tomorrow.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:29 AM

Stayed at Hotel Jardines for first time this week. Clean room, huge bathroom, gorgeous gardens, loads of Sky tv channels including the World Series and a terrific price.

Did get to happy hour at there recommended restaurant. But, we were too stuffed from Mariscos El Perico..

Jardines restaurant has two wings connected by the reception desk. South wing is dining an north wing is the very large bar. In fact, it is too large. The high ceiling is a better fit for a museum or sterile banquet room.

The gringos in the crowd weren’t much into game 2 of the World Series. I joked that they could all be Canadians hoping that the NHL would end its labor dispute soon.

Coffee was on early in the morning. And the shower pressure and temperature were welcome on a chilly San Quintin day.

I’ll come back to Jardines again for the great hotel room value and check out the food.

[img]http://bajadock.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/jarinesbar.png?w=400&h=299[/img]

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:32 AM

[img]http://bajadock.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/malarrimo.png?w=800&h=600[/img]
Malarrimo Beach Hotel Restaurant in Guerrero Negro was highly recommended to us.

MBHR is located on south side of main boulevard heading west, approx 1/2 mile into town. A garden room greets you before entering the very old school dining room.

Sonoron beef is their specialty. She ordered a filet mignon that was 10 ounces of juicy joy. It was served with mixed steamed veggies and covered with a mushroom wine sauce. I was lucky to get a small taste of it. It is likely the best steak I have had in Mexico.

I enjoyed a simple chef’s salads with cheese, ham and shrimp. It was very good and would hold me until my usual late dinner.

Steak fans should make Malarrimo Beach Hotel Restauarant a must DO when traveling Baja.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:35 AM

Finally got to meet my friend Shari in Bahia Asuncion. The scene was a unfortunate and sad due to the death of a friend of the community that week.

But, we met a few people, before unpacking from the 8 hour drive from San Quintin that morning.

Juan & Shari's B&B is on the rocks of the Pacific with crashing waves and barking sea lions providing the welcome. We stayed in the "rock room", a rustic, romantic getaway. Enjoyed the near full moon and an Argentinian Malbec on the patio with the cool breeze that evening.

Through the somber wake for their lost friend in Bahia Asuncion, we were able to find some humor. My girlfriend had a minor prescription need for some pain. 2 farmacias stocked the meds. But, the 2nd farm' said follow her to her house and she may have what we needed.

Sho' 'nuff, we scored the drugs from this little spot off the main drag. They only had enough for one night's pain relief, but, that sure helped.

The other fun was in finding a restaurant in Bahia Asuncion. Our tour only found grocery and beer stores. No bar or restaurant appeared for us. We got lucky when locals pointed us to the green building 100 yards from the funeral ceremony. "Comida rica" was the description of this little place.

Only problem was that the owners, like most everyone else in town, were attending the funeral. Restaurant was closed. Too bad, as we gotta believe the seafood would have been heavenly.

We dined on almonds to pair with our delicious Malbec. Cheers.

[Edited on 10-28-2012 by bajadock]

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 08:44 AM

Hotel La Mision, Loreto, Baja Sur. aaaaaahhhhhh.

[Edited on 10-28-2012 by bajadock]

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 09:02 AM

diggin the report doc. Gracias!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 09:28 AM

Doc...I am sad we weren't able to entertain you the way we usually do...thank you so much for the wonderful care package...we really loved it...carry on amigo!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 04:01 PM

your photos are really beautiful ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Lots of bugs (gnats and mosquitos) in Todos Santos. Get some bug dope and stuff to put on bites etc.

WORD!

lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 06:18 PM

Have fun Doc.....! Who went with you? Was it one of the girls from the Agua Viva Tourney last July? You know which ones I"m talking about Sir. I had a heack of a month. Took three trip. One to Ixtapa. One to Toluca and another to Mexico D.F. !0 flights in total. I'm not going anywhere for a awhile. VERY TIRED!

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2012 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Dennis, PBR has sedimental value for me, as it was my standard house beer during my Denver years. Pacifico now occupies that throne.

[img]http://bajadock.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/hotplate.png?w=440&h=157[/img]

On the box wine, if you are referring to the 2 cases(24 bottles) of various fine wine I am enjoying OK. Last night's petite sirah was especially soothing.

But, you may have mistaken my new hot plate for "bladder in a box" wine.

One necessity of mine when traveling is morning coffee.

In Mexico, that can be a challenge. Some breakfast establishments do not open until 8AM. Some hotels provide their coffee at the front desk with an awful creation known as “instant” coffee.

Another Mexican tradition is “cafe con canela”. Cinnamon is not one of my favorite spices. I use cinnamon once per year when I make home made applesauce for Thanksgiving dinner.

So I bought a 2 burner hot plate for my 2012 Baja adventure. Heat, teapot, french press and good beans make the morning interweb reads more pleasant.

Brewing Costa Rican beans this morning at 4th hotel in a row without coffee service in the room. Salvation!

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.