David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
To all of those Osprey grunters here, if you are unsure of a word's spelling, minimize BN, Google the word, get the correct spelling, restore BN, and enter the word. Takes a second and helps your image.:biggrin::biggrin:

Yes, I agree. I appreciate spelling help on words pertaining to Baja locations-features such as cities, roads, parks, etc. ...

David, I forget, is it" Rancho Santa Inez" by Catavina?

Well, since you asked, that is an excellent one I neglected to include above!

The correct Spanish spelling is (typically) Inés, however the owner of the ranch made it clear to those that rented lots there (Marv Patchen, etc.) it is RANCHO SANTA YNEZ :light:

What is funny is that they sold shirts there with it spelled INES (or was it INEZ?) and Nomads have had a field day with all the combinations, including Innez, Ynes, etc.!

A Ken Cooke Photo;D

[Edited on 1-1-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 04:12 PM

I don't have a dog in this particular c-ck fight, do have an occasional mix in my metaphor, and lament the abbreviation and simplification of our language, ignorance of history, shortened attention span, loss of civility and oversimplification found in what now passes for much of our political and public dialogue. LOL, Dah! God said so, nuke the bastards, I got mine, you don't, your lazy etc.

Iflyfishandcan'tspellforchiteandamdamngratefultothegoddessforspellcheck
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 04:32 PM

As this is the first of the year, and the first topic about the use of language, I wonder what words others think are WAY over used in conversations and forums. Here are a few of my choices.

1. awesome
2. amazing
3. epic

They are powerful words that I think are diminished to the point of being meaningless because of their overuse.

Just as an example: It was an epic two block walk to the amazing pizza place where the garlic bread is just awesome.

Hopefully, so these words can regain their full impact and meaning, this fad will fade away to the land of bright blue or green Nehru suits.

Now, please don't tell me that Nehru suits are coming back.

:o

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
As this is the first of the year, and the first topic about the use of language, I wonder what words others think are WAY over used in conversations and forums. Here are a few of my choices.

1. awesome
2. amazing
3. epic

They are powerful words that I think are diminished to the point of being meaningless because of their overuse.

Just as an example: It was an epic two block walk to the amazing pizza place where the garlic bread is just awesome.

Hopefully, so these words can regain their full impact and meaning, this fad will fade away to the land of bright blue or green Nehru suits.

Diane----------Being respectful of your point, could you suggest some synonyms for those 3 words mentioned? (since I am one guilty of hyperbole from time to time) :lol:

Barry
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 05:42 PM
Santa Ynez??

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
When doing a search online or just historical accuracy or just out of respect for the place we love, try to get it spelled correct. Some of the worse case Baja places with some of the incorrect spellings:

PUERTECITOS (not Puertocitos, Puerticitos)
GUERRERO NEGRO (not Guerro Negro)
SAN FRANCISQUITO (not ???)
SANTA ROSALILLITA (not Santa Rosaliita)
ALFONSINA'S (not Alphonsina's)
LOS BARRILES (not Los or Las Barilles)
MULEGE (not Muleje)
LORETO (not Loretto)
LA PURISIMA (not La Purisma)
ROSARITO (not Rosarita)
SANTO TOMAS (not Santo Thomas)
SAN VICENTE (not San Vincente)
SAN QUINTIN (not San Quentin)
TIJUANA (not Tiajuana)
MEXICALI (not Mexicalli)
ENSENADA (not Encinada)
SAN FELIPE (not San Filippi, etc.)

FELIX AÑO NUEVO/ HAPPY NEW YEAR :cool:

Another spelling question, you once posted various spellings of the ranch near Catavina- Santa Inez-or Santa Ynez or...? what is correct? Thanks

bacquito
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

1. awesome
2. amazing
3. epic

Diane----------Being respectful of your point, could you suggest some synonyms for those 3 words mentioned? (since I am one guilty of hyperbole from time to time) :lol:

Barry

Are not we all? :lol:

Awesome --- it is often used to mean what we used to call cool, or cool man, back in the ancient days. That is the fad use of the word. Now when the word is used properly, it means awe inspiring which has connotations of fear, or reverence, or extremely powerful. A major earthquake or finding the Ark of the Covenant, are awesome events, but every ordinary event is hardly awesome.

There are lots of synonyms for amazing that are a little less powerful, and not everything we see or do is of great wonder. I am guilty of using this one too often.

Not every journey or find is epic; they are not enormously grand. Most are interesting, fun, or different, but not epic. Jumping out of a balloon and breaking the sound barrier is an epic journey. Epic has also fallen into the realm of fad with everything being epic; again, akin to the old usage of cool.

This shall pass and there will be new words just waiting to be mangled and overused.

Now, back to learning the new shorthand so I can learn to text.

:biggrin:

[Edited on 1-2-2013 by DianaT]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 05:57 PM

Hmmmmmm, I see your point, but really I have seldom seen or heard "epic" used in normal conversation.

"Awesome" and "amazing" much more often. I am constantly "amazed" at what I see and hear----truly amazed, but I will try and watch it.

Awesome-----------yes, certainly a "fad" word, and I seldom use it unless something is truly AWESOME, like Baja. :tumble:

Barry
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 05:59 PM

D, thanks for shining a light on that. All the U.S. news media big beautiful blondes are professional and usually well spoken but they scream out a steady stream of words they describe as things we should not, could not believe:

Incredible, unbelievable. They're reporting a big fire which we should not recognize as the truth or things we shouldn't/couldn't believe in.

"Here are some unbelievable pictures of an incredible accident between a bus and a camel. Don't go way, you're gonna love this and much more after the break."
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Hmmmmmm, I see your point, but really I have seldom seen or heard "epic" used in normal conversation.

"Awesome" and "amazing" much more often. I am constantly "amazed" at what I see and hear----truly amazed, but I will try and watch it.

Awesome-----------yes, certainly a "fad" word, and I seldom use it unless something is truly AWESOME, like Baja. :tumble:

Barry

I hear epic used as a fad word more from really young people; now that is not to say you are not a young person. :biggrin:

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 06:03 PM
Epic..I thought thats a Surfers word !!!

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 06:11 PM

Diane, not to step on your part of the thread but: dyslexia I think of as grammatical color blindness.

The severity of color blindness in humans has as many degrees as the compass from 1% to 80. I think how human adults see their particular language is the same kind of spread. Those who are severe have more trouble than those in the lower ranges. No stigma to be color blindn so there should be a co responding forgiveness to those who see the letters scattered, unclear--- those who read Hose and House in the same way. They both appear identical to the DNA latent process carrier.

Not being able to spell is not some sign the person is inferior, uneducated, deficient as compared to his or her peers.

I
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey.
Not being able to spell is not some sign the person is inferior, uneducated, deficient as compared to his or her peers.

True, but to most folks it is the show of an important deficiency, true or not. So, simple spell checking takes away the stigma of ignorance. No??

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
D, thanks for shining a light on that. All the U.S. news media big beautiful blondes are professional and usually well spoken but they scream out a steady stream of words they describe as things we should not, could not believe:

Incredible, unbelievable. They're reporting a big fire which we should not recognize as the truth or things we shouldn't/couldn't believe in.

"Here are some unbelievable pictures of an incredible accident between a bus and a camel. Don't go way, you're gonna love this and much more after the break."

:lol::lol: AMEN

Quote:
Quote:

True, but to most folks it is the show of an important deficiency, true or not. So, simple spell checking takes away the stigma of ignorance. No??

I agree that many people think it is an important deficiency and that is often not the case; it can be a learning disability which has nothing to do with intelligence or ignorance. My disability is an auditory problem that causes me major problems with spelling, and with learning other languages. I just do not process sounds correctly all the time. Phonics are close to worthless for me. It is not an uncommon problem and is also why many people, including me, often mispronounce a word.

I always explained this to my students and gave them full permission to correct mispronounced or misspelled words.

On the other hand, all my classes were subjected to my no excuse word list so they would not sound ignorant by using advice, for advise, or here for hear, and many more. And every so often I find myself misusing one of these no excuse words -- there for they're and I am horrified! Spell checkers are no good for these mistakes. :biggrin:

[Edited on 1-2-2013 by DianaT]

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe someday Doug will add that feature to BN.

Bob Durrell
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 07:56 PM

I've said this several times, I type fast and have bad spelling issues in any language, however, just as I don't correct folks face to face, when they are using incorrect words, especially IRREGARDLESS, but it is not acceptable to anyone other than your friends and kids.

I have said it before and will say it again, why not have a post or a link that can be given to a person that has terms, definitions and spelling. Then all that has to happen is post the link as a resource for spelling. But in most cases, most folks insecurities require them to post corrections that are not helpful but ego driven.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
But in most cases, most folks insecurities require them to post corrections that are not helpful but ego driven.

Good insight into the human psyche.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
But in most cases, most folks insecurities require them to post corrections that are not helpful but ego driven.

Good insight into the human psyche.

Yah, but if directed at me, it is totally not the case... Did Cortez call his teachers in school all 'ego-maniacs' because they taught the correct way to spell places?

If learning to spell Guerrero Negro doesn't help you Sr. CortezBlue, then just move on and ignore me... I thought with your new spelling of Phoenix the way I showed you a misspelled Baja town would look to a Mexican, you were over the 'hate the teacher' thing you had with me? So much for Happy New Year for all...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 08:50 PM

I rest my case
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
I've said this several times, I type fast and have bad spelling issues in any language, however, just as I don't correct folks face to face, when they are using incorrect words, especially IRREGARDLESS, but it is not acceptable to anyone other than your friends and kids.

I have said it before and will say it again, why not have a post or a link that can be given to a person that has terms, definitions and spelling. Then all that has to happen is post the link as a resource for spelling. But in most cases, most folks insecurities require them to post corrections that are not helpful but ego driven.

You have put into words my condition and what I have had to cope with all my life.my spelling has always been terrible I have to absorb infromation differently than most so called normal people. It has always been difficult to express myself by the written word.
I hated school but managed to get buy and I had a lot of sucess in my chosen ventures.
For someone to point out your deficiencies in spelling tells you a lot about that person. They are not only rude but they are short on character., and usually ego driven and fueled by low selfesteem.

[Edited on 1-2-2013 by J.P.]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 09:03 PM

We are talking about a dozen Baja towns more or less... the drama is not needed... I too am a terrible speller and never point out English spelling errors, just the occasional Baja place that many have a hard time remembering... and it not for you here as much as it is for all the viewers of Baja Nomad who come here to LEARN about Baja.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.