BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: UDO & JANA'S TRIP SOUTH.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 06:29 PM

I had no idea where you lived, Bob, or We would have been by.
Now that we know, we WILL drop by the next time, Bob.

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
The road was still in great condition and went into Maneadero, and La Bufadora where we went to see DENNIS (who wasn't home) and Bajabound2005, who also wasn't home.

Why didn't come see me? I'm just 2 houses past DENNIS.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 06:53 PM

Hola Tom!

For three years we had two AIs (single seat Adventure Islands), they were his and hers.
Then I turned the one AI into a fishing machine, and Jana decided that she also liked fishing.

SOOO...

We sold the singles on craigslist for $2,700 each, and purchased the Tandem Island, plus a Trailex trailer. The trailer is great for local kayaking, but a pain in the butt to tow down the southern areas of Baja. So we car-top it when we go South. BTW we just changed the roof rack from the Yakima cradles to the TI cradles. It will make it much easier to take down the kayak.

I'll post photos later next month with the mods I have made to the trailer so Baja will no longer be a problem. Over the next few weeks I will mount the Lowrance HDS5 fish finder, and VHS, and all will be solar powered with a back-up battery. I am working with the engineers from TORQEEDO (the electric motor that can power the kayak if necessary). I'll also post the mods to the Kayak (both inside and outside) that will make all the electronics work, plus the mods of what to take on the kayak so you can have a deluxe pic nic when you get to your destination.

Now the rest of your question, Tom:

Jana and I had fully intended on kayaking for 5 days while in BA, but the third day the winds really kicked up to better than 28 mph. We managed to make it around San Roque Island.
The trip there took us almost 4 hours, but only 45 minutes getting back, AND we took the outside of BA island so the island's lee would protect us from some of the buffeting wind.

We were really tired after that day, and the winds never died down until it was time for us to leave BA later that week.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

BTW, there is a bit of a difference between an AI and a TI, besides just 50 lbs.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsquared
Thank you for the report Jan and Udo. I have only been a lurker on this board until I read your report. You posted about using your Tandem Island for a few days but did not mention using it again. Did you unlimber it after that? I have an adventure island and with the temps around here hovering in the low 40's i have been dreaming about using it on the Baja.
Thanks,
Tom

Udo

tsquared

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 08:27 PM

I've rigged my AI for salmon trolling using the haka idea and mountng all my gear on there. Since I took this pic in August I have mounted my chartpotter forward of the downrigger. Note the local boat inspector--he's vain but he works for peanuts. Thanks for your reply and I'll have to get down and do some kayaking in the Baja when I retire.
Tom

[Edited on 1-30-2013 by tsquared]
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2013 at 08:41 AM

Nice replacement seat, Tom. Very close to mine (Pacific Angler), You can sit in it all day without a back ache.
Where you have your 1X2 teak boards, is where my solar panel will be mounted.
I also notice a cool beach carrier. I use the HOBIE version which works well in soft sand.
I designed a beach-wheel carrier to fit the trailer, and I am currently working with TRAILEX for them to make a similar design. Mine is made out of aluminum, but was a B-tch to bend it just right to accept the diameter of the beach wheels.
I also worked with Murray's Marine (murrays.com) on a pig-tail design for the TORQUEEDO, so that the solar panel will charge both a 24volt as well as a 12 volt battery simultaneously. I found an aircraft parts supplier that has the transformer to convert the 24V solar panel and pigtail out to a 12V waterproof "Y".
The front hatch houses (via velcro) the 24V TORQEEDO battery as well as a 12V motorcycle battery housed in a PELICAN case.
Once the project is finished, I'll post full detailed photos.

Udo

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.