BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: National Geographic Baja Expedition NEEDS YOUR HELP!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Don't let those with sour grapes here put a dark cloud over your adventure..

C'mon David. We're being asked to help finance this venture. Surely you agree that we have qualified reason to ask questions.
whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:50 PM

Thanks David. Dennis you're completely correct. Too much emphasis was put on money in our initial posts. Although, it may not seem like it but it wasn't our intent.

If you'd like to become involve monetarily, there's an option. But Baja Nomads are more helpful on the logistical front. Don't get hung up on the funding. If anyone is around in Baja this late winter/spring we would love to share a cerveza.

Salutations from Los Angeles and San Francisco,

What is West

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:52 PM

Thanks for the copy of the Grant,, but it really doesnt mean a thing, NG has not given you any money for this, only a pledge that if they like your adventure they might phony up
thats a big if, in my book
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
---- then again, I am a very old lady. :saint:

Did you ever get those Carbon 14 results back yet, Diane? Maybe you'r gonna be the next Nat Geo pheenom. :lol:

You just wait --- I will get you for that one, yes indeed. :lol::lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

PS Don't let those with sour grapes here put a dark cloud over your adventure.. for every 'nanny goat' there are a thousand well wishers and supporters of promoting the wonders of Baja for the benefit of everyone.

DK, I don't think anyone has discouraged them --- some just had some questions and they answered all the questions, very well I might add. But there will be more questions --- not a big deal, IMHO or enough for the name calling.

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
....... If anyone is around in Baja this late winter/spring we would love to share a cerveza.

Salutations from Los Angeles and San Francisco,

What is West

Depends on your route and agenda. I hope that you will be able to take a break and go gray whale watching........ can't use your paddle boards for that, however.

whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 07:07 PM

desertcpl - that grant agreement is about 20 pages long. You saw about the first 1/4 of the first page. Yes, Justin DeShields is a National Geographic "Grantee" meaning there is already NG money behind the project. It is in their favor to see the success of this project.

In television, there is never a guarantee that anything will air. If the project is done well, suits NG's audience and the direction the NG would like to go, it will air.

Diana - We will definitely be highlighting the grey whale. At the moment we've teamed up with Serge Dedina of WiLDCOAST to meet representatives at San Ig and Pulmo. We'll also be working with Dr. Octavio Aburto in Cabo Pulmo and Miguel Angel de la Cueva in the Giganta mountain range.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
can't use your paddle boards for that, however.

Restrictions, or just plain dangerous?? :?:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 07:32 PM

Quote:
desertcpl - that grant agreement is about 20 pages long. You saw about the first 1/4 of the first page. Yes, Justin DeShields is a National Geographic "Grantee" meaning there is already NG money behind the project. It is in their favor to see the success of this project.

In television, there is never a guarantee that anything will air. If the project is done well, suits NG's audience and the direction the NG would like to go, it will air.

Diana - We will definitely be highlighting the grey whale. At the moment we've teamed up with Serge Dedina of WiLDCOAST to meet representatives at San Ig and Pulmo. We'll also be working with Dr. Octavio Aburto in Cabo Pulmo and Miguel Angel de la Cueva in the Giganta mountain range.

Check your U2U.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Nice photos motoged. I use to own a KLR 650 back in college. Loved it. ....

This is a feisty bunch!

WIW,
This "feisty bunch" is usually well-meaning for such a disparate group of crusty old farts, dog-lovers, Tecate-swilling desert rats who eagerly offer their opinions that are even sometimes referenced by experience ...:lol:

DON'T LET OUR STYLE SCARE YOU OFF AS THEIR TRULY IS A WEALTH OF INFORMATION RELEVANT TO YOUR ADVENTURE....(WHOOPS....left the capital button on....I am not really yelling:saint: )

Most of us are simply envious..... :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that motoged and DT look older than 26? :lol::lol::lol:

OK, I apologize motoged, but I think you look about 25 ---- then again, I am a very old lady. :saint:

Diana,
DT definitely looks older than me....:lol: ....but I can be 25 if you like.....cuz it's better than
61 :light:

Certainly no apologies necessary :coolup:

We can all have some fun here ;D

Don't believe everything you think....
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 06:13 AM

For off the beaten path, come out to San Nicolas on the Sea of Cortez between Mulege and Loreto.

We'll feed you guys and give you an insight to Sea of Cortez history and life with Chico Murillo - who has worked with the NOLYS people from Coyote for 35 years or so.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 07:30 AM

What are you shooting with, Canon or Nikon?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote:

I hope that you will be able to take a break and go gray whale watching........ can't use your paddle boards for that, however.

Yea, you need a kayak:

The whale is coming up to scoop up a mouthful of herring ( the small fish seen at the surface around the kayak).
The kayaker is a local Sitka Dentist. He apparently didn't sustain any injuries from the terrifying experience.
The whale was just around the corner from the ferry terminal, and all the kayaker could think at that moment
in time was: "Paddle Man--really fast!"

The whale's mouth is fully open with the bottom half under the boat.
If the whale had closed his mouth before he furiously paddled away -
He might have been LUNCH!!!

Bob Durrell
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 10:37 AM

Hi guys...put me down for cervezas and lobster burritos when you paddle up to the casa! I'm sure you will enjoy the hospitality of many Nomads along your journey...you can count on it. You should schedule a mint julep chat with Mike Younghusband too when you are in the Loreto area.

Will you have a SPOT device or other communication devices with you? Telcel signals are strong all along the mid west coast...so we can call you when you are catching waves in the place that shall not be mentioned...jejejeje

Let us know how we can be of assistance boys.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 12:51 PM
You heard correctly, we are walking and stand up paddling the Peninsula!

Wow. I'm a little concerned here.

I was assuming at first........ that you folks were going to walk and paddle the Baja. It sounded as though you are planning to walk it just as Graham did. Perhaps I just read all of this wrong.....

How are you going to walk with paddle boards in hand? That's a awkward and very heavy load to be walking the peninsula with....especially when you still have gear to haul with you. Tents. Food. Bag. The rest of the gear. Secondly....how are you going to carry all the gear while standing on your boards? (!)

http://www.islesurfboards.com/paddle-board-size-and-weight-c...

Another point is this.....just 30 days of planning for all of this? Your websites are at a very minimum with information. Just a lot of pictures and a few sparse statements. There is little said about funding and grants. I didn't see any other sponsorships....like from equipment to paddle board companies. That's extremely odd.

I have this feeling that most of the gear and such will be towed via van/truck. You guys are not really walking the Baja....just going from one point to another with your support truck.

I am sure that you can give us details of just how you are planning to do this walk......National Geographic REQUIRES DETAIL ACCOUNTING before approving grants of such expeditions. You must have details already for this trek....from months ago while processing with National Geographic.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/explorers/grants-programs/...

I caution any BN member here.... to hold back for a while before jumping on this band wagon.

[Edited on 1-5-2013 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 01:15 PM

Consider a VHF radio or 2 and learn the local Panguero channels for the different co-ops and especially the more remote areas.

In some circumstances this will be your only call for help.

No worries
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 01:47 PM

Another question.........how's your Espaņol?
Roaming into the heart of Baja without a working knowledge of the lingo would be like driving down the old road with no spare tire.
whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 02:25 PM

Hey All! Thanks for the advice and concern. Addressed are some of the questions below:

Spot - We will have a spot device
Cell - We will be using Telcel
Cameras - Canon 5D. We will also have a Sony "run-and-gun" videocamera, a couple GoPros and an iPhone.
SUP - Details will come in a bit but... we are not carrying the SUP boards with us (that's insane). The northern half of the peninsula we will walk the Pacific side. SUPs will be delivered to us in BCS and I think we will leave from Loreto and head south in the Sea of Cortez.
Planning - This has been in the works for over a year.
Radio - That's definitely good advice to have a VHF.
Spanish - Both are conversational.

WIW

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 07:17 PM

IJustin DeShields, has a glowing degree from Pepperdyne University, he seems to want to visit exotic places, and spent time on Oahu, Hawaii, Chile, Machu Picchu, and likes adventure. It also appears he speaks very good Spanish...here is an exerpt from National Geographic Channel Magazine. He has only worked as a production intern, but I say green light to him and good luck. Heck, at least he is starting his walk in the winter instead of roasting like the other hikers in mid-summer heat.

http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2012/09/12/riotous-adv...
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 07:38 PM

good luck guys.. I would be glad to help where I can.
whatiswest

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 11:49 AM

Yep that's true EnsenadaDr. On that show (Alien Deep) he was the series Associate Producer. Since then he's gone on to work as a field producer on a few different doc series and now is a freelancer at an LA based ad agency.

Bryan has worked in television for many years as a PA. He's also been on expeditions with Outward Bound and NOLS.

Together they are a pretty good combo.

Their trip has been discussed over the past year with many different adventurers, conservationists and enthusiasts. But they also embrace the element of a journey that isn't planned out day-to-day. Their partner JJ Kelley has had many years experience in films of a similar genre. Check them out:
http://dudesonmedia.com/

Thanks rts551!

WIW

[Edited on 1-8-2013 by whatiswest]

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.