Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Cowboy motel -- hygiene issues
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 02:09 PM
COSTCO

In San Diego (on Friars Road) has a cool Ridgeway (by Kelty) 3 way lightweight sleeping bag...rolls up to about the size of a loaf of bread. Unzips to use as a blanket, a stand alone sleeping bag or a sleeping bag liner....$18.

They currently sell on Amazon.com for $37.00

This is peerfect for car travel or to use as a barrier when in questionable hotel beds.......

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Maybe someone spilled a glass of wine on the bed. :D

Isn't that illegal? Everyone knows that beds are just for sleeping. :lol:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SwissFrank
Has anyone ever recommended this place on here?

Bob Durrell
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 06:55 PM

I am with the 'out of site out of mind' group. Don't think I have ever
pulled down the sheets! Sometimes just glad to have a bed, and
not in the back of my truck! ALWAYS bring sleeping bag.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 06:56 PM

Shari is ''endorsing'' Cowboy (I think she is).

I showed her the mattress stain that morning and asked her if my concern might be shared by Mexicans -- or if they might think that body fluids are a natural thing and stained mattresses are a non-issue.

She responded that Mexicans would make this a non-issue. Is this right?

I'm also thinking that house keeping saw the stain (for awhile) and continued throwing a sheet over it while making the bed and it was a non-issue to them.

I, personally, did not mention the mattress to the Owner of the Cowboy Motel, and don't know if Shari did.

Not that that would mean anything.

Maybe Shari's POV of cultural differences would be helpful. Or, maybe she's endorsing Cowboy stains and all.

(I plan to have a sleeping bag for future travel so stains have magically become a non-issue for me.)
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Maybe someone spilled a glass of wine on the bed. :D

Isn't that illegal? Everyone knows that beds are just for sleeping. :lol:

Unless it's pet friendly

Bob Durrell
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:02 PM

and I used to get so offended when someone slept in a sleeping bag instead of in my gorgeous super clean wonderful sunshine smelling sheets

but,

obviously I got over it quickly since in a sleeping bag is not the end of the world, but we worked hard to get nice mattresses - some softer, some harder. all inspected every day by me, myself, and I.

Mexicans (often) sleep on top of the bed with a blanket over them. For the life of me, I can't figure that one out.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

That would depend on the individual whether or not one is indifferent about lying around in someone elses body fluids.
Let's not attempt to make this a cultural issue. That would be an offensive discussion.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:08 PM

Also we were at the cowboy 1st of March and we had 5 rooms with our
group, and all were happy with the place. Parking was a little tight,
but, come on a lot of hotels have this problem in baja. I don't mind,
great place to meet new people, at 6:00 am:lol:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:33 PM

I take all complaints up with the owner and he will have the mattress turned and is working on getting new pillows, opening up more parking etc. Yes I endorse Cowboy Hotel for what it is which is a moderately priced ma & pa operation...not 5 star hotel.

Lee mentioned he usually stays in high end places which may account for his tastes. I havent seen any hotels with mattress covers...we do have them at our rentals...and washcloths are very rare as well...so the trick is to bring your own. I also travel with a sheet, blankets & pillow so we are comfortable in case of a not so ideal bed scenario.

So I guess the other good plan if you are concerned about mattress issues, check first before you rent a room. Hotels are noisy...people come and go at all hours so I always bring earplugs too.

Chavelo & I have had many long conversations about what he can do to make his hotel more presentable etc. and he is making efforts to do that and is receptive to criticisms and suggestions. They are under construction at the moment so things are a bit awry...but for the most part it is quite clean and I just like the scene there...not fancy but not grungy and not sleazy like some cheaper places.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

That would depend on the individual whether or not one is indifferent about lying around in someone elses body fluids.
Let's not attempt to make this a cultural issue. That would be an offensive discussion.

Shari's entitled to her opinion and that was her opinion. If I were to make a guess, I think 1/2 the Gringoes (at the Cowboy) would care and 1/2 wouldn't care. Think Shari was referring to ''most'' Mexicans but can't be sure.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

Nice capture Bob.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 07:57 PM

yeah it's not really a cultural issue, but most likely most mexicanos wouldnt be too concerned about an old small blood stain on a mattress...and I've never actually looked under a sheet to check a mattress myself either...I suppose the housekeepers werent too concerned about it either as they must have seen it...time for a little chat with them I guess about turning mattresses.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Lee mentioned he usually stays in high end places which may account for his tastes. I havent seen any hotels with mattress covers...we do have them at our rentals...and washcloths are very rare as well...so the trick is to bring your own.

Can't remember if the Cactus has wash cloths or not. Don't think so.

So, let me define high end places. NOB, La Quinta because I travel with my dog and they are dog friendly.

High end ''standards'' in Baja. Try $38.00/night at La Villa de San Quintin -- mattress pads AND wash cloths. The towels are quality, along with the bed cover, sheets and mattress. No stains on the carpet and the place was cleaner than any motel I've visited.

It's not fair to compare GN to Quintin, or El Rosario. For the same price, Cowboy doesn't measure up but then neither does any other motel in GN. I accept that.

So, when Shari and Blanca describe the details and amenities, and effort, they put into their accommodations, I say BRAVO for providing touches that many people, Mexicans and Gringoes alike, will notice AND appreicate. Their accommodations are the ''high end'' I'm looking for and expect of a ''newer'' motel.

By the way, most of the vehicles in the Cowboy parking lot looked Gringo. I assume that is who the Owner is marketing to.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:

(The Devil made me do it..honest!)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 06:42 AM

Stayed at the Cowboy because Shari takes her whale folks there and I thought that if it's good enough for whale folks, it's good enough for me. We had a room on the 2nd floor in a new room last week. First impressions were great, room was really beautiful, clean, large, and the furnishings were lovely. Even a screen door. We had a view of the sunrise in the morning. The price was excellent. It was so new, I did not think to check the mattress and the bedding was very comfortable. The wireless Internet connection was excellent. We left a paperback behind and the housekeeper rushed out to give it to us before we left.

The parking is tight, but the manager helped us park. Although the parking lot was slightly muddy (but thank goodness for rain) the walkways were clean and the room was spotless. There were a few minor deficiencies which which makes me sad for someone who is trying to achieve a very good standard in circumstances that are not so easy. The toilet already had a small leak, the toilet seat would need replacing soon and tile always makes for more echoed noise outside.

Overall, I thought we would stay again. The room we had was an amazing value compared to what we paid as we crossed into the US and continued north. The prices climbed and we wished for our Baja hotels. We stayed at El Morro, Cowboys and Jardine's this trip and were not disappointed. We have stayed in many modest tourist hotels in Latin America and the Caribbean and the Mexico hotels exceeded the value for the price paid.

Perhaps with the new construction which is a pretty big project, the things that need to be attended to are taking a back seat. The owner did look like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Ohhh yeah....don't open that door while a CPR is in progress.
NoNoNo...........
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 07:53 AM

yup...Cowboy may not have washcloths but they have paramedics!!! har har har...thanks Dennis for my morning snort coffee out my nasal passages.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
yup...Cowboy may not have washcloths but they have paramedics!!! har har har...thanks Dennis for my morning snort coffee out my nasal passages.

Happy to give you a kick-start, Mon Sharí.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Ohhh yeah....don't open that door while a CPR is in progress.
NoNoNo...........

Good one Dennis. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.