BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Hang onto 1 STOVE, 1 gas cylinder, 1 desk ......
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2013 at 02:40 PM

When I was first out on my own we used those giant leggo things....cinder blocks! Shelf stand, Bed Plywood support, stacked close to form a cube for a small table, best invention ever! Where pretty cheap, don't know what they cost down there but it seems there's a lot of them around those unfinished buildings on the way to La Paz.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 08:44 AM

you know, that's not a bad idea for shelves and maybe a table, if we dont get one donated. thanks. i just flashed back to college bigtime !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 08:56 AM

I have a mini fridge that's been sitting in storage. It's yours......I just need to find a way to get it down there.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
When I was first out on my own we used those giant leggo things....cinder blocks! Shelf stand, Bed Plywood support, stacked close to form a cube for a small table, best invention ever! Where pretty cheap, don't know what they cost down there but it seems there's a lot of them around those unfinished buildings on the way to La Paz.

OMG --- I had forgotten about that. I think everyone I knew, including me had at least shelves made from cinder blocks and wood planks. We even painted some of the cinder blocks.

In the La Bocana area, cinder blocks are not expensive --- at least they are not expensive in Bahia Asuncion. Wood is not cheap and getting good straight wood without cracks and holes is not easy, even in Vizcaino. But it can be done by going through stacks and stacks of planks. And shoot, since it is for college furniture, maybe they could get some of the less than perfect wood in Vizcanio at a discount???

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 09:39 AM

cinder blocks or........

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 09:51 AM

Some of the students that I know in Ensenada use the block and board method. La Paz should have a better selection of wood than locallly.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 11:47 AM

My father would often say, if you have something you'd like, make a plan, design how it should look on paper and choose what type of marerials you would like and make a budget for the materials then work to save the money to buy the materials, when you have half the amount tell me and I will help you think of ways for you to earn the second half of the money to buy the marterials to build the project. Using this method I built my first bed frame for a waterbed and shelves for headboard, later a wooden go cart then a sunfish from a kit etc.

I often think about the long history of La Paz and how people arrived there, some by boat, some by land and they had very few resources, so they devised tools from rocks and shells and they used those tools to build structures and cook the food they gathered. I am one of those people.

From Asuncion to La Paz and south there are many resources to gather to build furniture, I made a game of it, gathering materials, square or flat sided rocks, sticks, carizo, palms, wood crates and pallets, and used those to try to build a piece of furniture every day, it's very rewardiing and costs nothing.

I made this simple ladder type thing from palo verde I cut and used twine to build a netting support for books across the ladder rungs, these became popular for decorative book shelves. Gringos like them too.

Now when we look across the horizon we don't see a barren desert, we see resources and we see also tools everywhere. One friend in particular, Pancho, he can pickup and identify indian artifacts nearly everywhere while others overlook them.

I also often carry a bucket or old feed bag to gather various types of soil from other locations such as from the mountains back home to help enrich the sandy soil where I live to make a garden that will provide a huge amount of food for someone. I gather seeds too, a salad plate will have leftover tomato and cucumber seed that can be dried and used to plant etc.

I did have a vision of people coming to La Paz to view and participate in these traditional practices and methods of resourceful furniture making, palapa building, and gardening much like tourists going to Cuba to watch cigar makers.

The only problem is many people have been taught if you act incompetent, poor and lazy and just sit there lamenting your position in life, a gringo will feel sorry for you and give you money.

If you want to help these kids, encourage them to work and save money to buy a small saw, machete or knife and a hammer: estimated budget $200 pesos. They will appreciate it one day.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 06:14 PM

They came over today and worked for us.

They washed all the windows at the B&B.

Swept and mopped.

I am VERY happy and so are they.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2013 at 06:22 PM

Willard guy! I bet they would love to work towards making that table !

Ateo - thanks for a VERY kind offer! As soon as we find out that they are accepted, we can figure out a way to get it here. Gracias.

Come visit La Bocana

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 02:57 PM

Blanca- are there any that have grades sufficient to get a beca for the Casa de Estudiantes? Space is limited, but if their grades are great, its room & board. We've had a number of Mulege area kids get in. Email me if you think you have candidates. Our students who got in had puro diezes or pretty close to it.

Gnukid- I'm with you, but why stop w/students? Throw those old folks out in the street. If they didn't save enough for old age, we should make an example of them, right? Let 'em scrounge w/the dogs, and make sure younger people see it so they learn that don't nobody help nobody round here and its everybody for himself. I'm all for entrepreneurism dude, but just every so more or less occasionally, some human being helps another one out. And maybe some kid will learn that one person can help another out and it won't push the earth entirely off its axis and send us all out into space to die horrible freezing deaths. Or maybe a little interpersonal kindness will kill us all, who knows.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2013 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Blanca- are there any that have grades sufficient to get a beca for the Casa de Estudiantes? Space is limited, but if their grades are great, its room & board. We've had a number of Mulege area kids get in. Email me if you think you have candidates. Our students who got in had puro diezes or pretty close to it.

Gnukid- I'm with you, but why stop w/students? Throw those old folks out in the street. If they didn't save enough for old age, we should make an example of them, right? Let 'em scrounge w/the dogs, and make sure younger people see it so they learn that don't nobody help nobody round here and its everybody for himself. I'm all for entrepreneurism dude, but just every so more or less occasionally, some human being helps another one out. And maybe some kid will learn that one person can help another out and it won't push the earth entirely off its axis and send us all out into space to die horrible freezing deaths. Or maybe a little interpersonal kindness will kill us all, who knows.

Exactly. I currently have 4 students living with me in the US. They are all deserving and come from chitty family situations. All of them are going to school to better themselves. All of them will eventually be amazing contributors to society. Or, I could kick them out and they would end up in dead end, low skill jobs if they are lucky, and their potential would never be realized. It's called paying it forward, or backwards, or whatever. Nobody helped me and it made my life and that of my kids that much harder. I aim to do better now that I have the means to do so. I guess they should all sleep in the gutter and eat garbage from trash bins. That would teach them! What, I'm not sure. I guess you have it all figured out.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2013 at 06:45 AM

E Mike

they all have excellent grades and could conceivably get in the casa del estudiante BVUT, there is a lot of politics. I have heard (years ago) of students who are kicked out in the middle of their studies for someone else's nephew or cousin or friend. And then I would be the one panicking.

Kgryfon - I am so happy that you are helping kids out by letting them live with you while they study! How very amazing is that!

Come visit La Bocana

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2013 at 01:15 PM
So you dont want cash? :-)

Here's a tough question for you BajaBlanca: how much cash per student for the items in need?

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Please hang onto any unwanted beds, tables, desks, sheets, towels, dishes, silverware, pots n pans until end of July, if you can

There is a group of 5 disadvantaged students from La Bocana/ Punta Abreojos who may need them when they head off to college in La Paz this August! We will only know if they passed the entrance exam on the 15 July.

And if you are religious, please pray that they pass. They have worked very hard towards this goal.

Thanks in advance.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2013 at 05:32 PM

Nope. No cash. Just extras that someone might have sitting in a garage. And NADA until we know for sure, July 15, if the kids are headed to La Paz. But, thanks for asking!

Come visit La Bocana

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 06:34 AM

Giving and helping others to find a way of giving is very kind. The action of sharing something - time, knowledge, material goods or good fortune makes community strong.

On my 18th birthday, I received a suitcase from my family...a signal to leave home? Anyway...I had been taught the skills to make it on my own, but many people helped me and believed in me many ways. Everyday I ask myself I what I have given this day to help leave the world a better place than I found it.

I admire your community-minded spirit, BB.

[Edited on 5-25-2013 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2013 at 05:23 PM

Ok amigos - the teens took their university entrance exam and three of them thought the test was easy. Since they have straight A's, are very bright and down to Earth, i am pretty sure they will be accepted at La Paz UABCS university. Fingers are crossed.

Going on that assumption, i would like to know if i can round up from those of you living near La Paz or able to deliver once they confirm acceptance July 15 and find a place, a pledge to donate some furniture/appliances

Can we start with 3 beds? And 3 fridges? 3 stoves?

If we can't get these basics, then they will have to rent furnished places, which will up the monthly costs.

Ateo, want to come visit July 16 or so ?

Again, nothing is going anywhere til the kids get formally accepted. I am just trying to get a feel for what is available! Gracias y que les vaya bien!

Come visit La Bocana

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2013 at 05:05 PM

YAHOOOOOOOO !!! The great news is that they all passed ! Four teens got into the college of first choice and one has to decide on another campus .....

Three of them were able to rent furnished apts. no worries.

Two boys have rented unfurnished places and here is the wish list we have NOT been able to fulfill yet:

2 gas cylinders ... anyone in La Paz can help out with these ????
1 desk ....

they have beds and if woody can bring down Ateos's fridge then we have both fridges, they have stoves, they have kitchenware, they have pillows sheets and towels. In August I will get some pics and then I will have a better idea of what else they might need.

These kids are really cool kids - they really need all the support we can give them! They are as poor as you can get without being homeless.

Come visit La Bocana

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-22-2013 at 06:30 PM

i got your pots. mom said she had some other stuff for tomorrow. don't know if it will fit in the camry so i might have to get it on sat. what do i tell the aduana if they ask? pay the tax?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2013 at 07:46 PM

Pay the tax, but I dont think there will be one.

Mom has another duffel with stuff for the teens .... Dish racks, a cutting board, a fan ... It is all household stuff and never taxed. Bia told her you had plenty of room .... Saturday is fine for pickup ...

Thanks, loads!

Come visit La Bocana

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2013 at 09:33 PM

I have a new full-size propane gas cylinder, Blanca.

How can we get it down to La Paz?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.