Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: The Healthcare Conundrum
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2013 at 09:59 PM

ING offers health insurance plans for ex-pats that a lot of my friends swear by. Apparently it is good coverage that will cover you anywhere and is quite a bit cheaper than anything you can get in the US.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-28-2013 at 10:05 PM

Yes David, the lack of pain medication for post op patients and terminal cancer patients is alarming as well as very distressing...in any of the hospitals, private or public.
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Superb idea. I've had Mexican doctors "no entiende español suddenly when faced with a question they did not wish to address. Confident Spanish is a plus. I had one male nurse so stubborn I had to yell "¿Entiendes español?" to get him to respond with a red face. The rest of the enfermeros were laughing their rear off. He had been propping up a wall for a half hour en chisme and I needed to get out of bed. Asking politely six times the previous half hour didn't seem to work.

The Shortfall in the formulary of medication in Seguro Popular did not impress me either. Meaning the range and scope of medications. Having to have -someone- run across the street and purchase (of course out of pocket) medicamentos de patente, priced ten times higher than a discount pharmacy also did not tickle my funny bone. Medicine priced more expensive than at a Walgreens in the USA.

Stabilization, Seguro Popular. Then Adios!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 02:56 AM

The Adios part is pretty important..make sure you have a plan to get to the Border, even if its just an iron clad deal with a friend to drive you out...I have had to do that twice....Once with a blownout knee, and once with a gut gremlin.....AND make sure you know where you are going once you cross the border....

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 04:52 AM

A few members mentioned a DAN insurance, which someone mentioned is $45 a year, originally for divers but can be used for anyone as evacuation insurance. Here is a quote from one of the members on the board:

. one look at her in the local clinic and told the husband he had to get her back to the US. They had DAN insurance (which is marketed toward traveling SCUBA divers), and had an excellent experience. And after several surgeries and a year of recovery she is doing very well.

There are several companies offering this sort of insurance, and I have no personal experience with any of them.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 05:25 AM

When thinking about medical care while living in Mexico, and if I were living in or near an urban area, my preference, I've decided I would use private doctors and hospitals if needed and pay cash or use a credit card. I have the means and credit. If I get a chronic condition that requires expensive ongoing care, I would move back to the US and use medicare.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 06:04 AM

If you have the means, then that choice is always a good option.
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 06:08 AM

I have used St. Lukes as well as Hospital Salvatierra in La Paz. I had pneumonia in January and spent 3 days and 2 nighst at St. Lukes. They were professional and the doctors were great. Nobody had to go buy my meds across the street - like you have to do at Hosp. Salvatierra. The cost was around $2,500 as opposed to appx. $100 at Hosp. Salvatierra for a week (based on income and at the time I had little). At Hosp. Salvatierra someone has to stay with you and sleep on the floor beside your bed. The room was shared with 5 other occupied beds. My "someone" had to go out and buy me a pillow and a blanket because they were not included. If I needed anything, my someone had to go and get a nurse for me. This was like 7 years ago, so things may have changed since then.
The doctor care was very good and followup went well.

A couple of years ago a friend was in Hosp. Salvatierra and had a private room. He was belligerent to the one and only person who could type his blood for him - I happened to be visiting at the time - I stood outside the room and could hear him complaining to her about why they didn't type his blood when they had him in the emergency room and he was bleeding everywhere. She walked out of the room and I asked her if she got it okay - she told me he had insulted her and she was not going to do it and that he would have to find a way to go to a private clinic outside of the hospital to get his blood typed. Well, that wasn't going to happen because he had a compound femur fracture and needed surgery. They won't do surgery unless someone donates blood for you. Then he had to negotiate a price for the surgery and have his sister wire down the money first. They came to an understanding about the blood donation (I think he had to pay more) As I left the hospital the security officers tried to make me stay because someone had to be there with him. I absolutely positively refused to do that and they let me go. My friend had his surgery and returned to the US and went through 2 more. He is fine today.

I guess the end to this story is that the hospitals cannot be compared in any way to the US, but the end result appears to be good.

I live in Todos Santos and I don't mind going to the local public hospital/clinic (it is not a hospital) but chose St. Lukes this year to compare the two. For the short time frame, St. Lukes was better (not cost wise) but for anything else I would probably go with Salvatierra without my "this isn't the way we do it in the US" hat on.

I don't have insurance - which is not a smart thing - but I am working on it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 06:11 AM

I suspect I'll be somewhere between a rugged frontiersman living off the land and a well-off retiree, so even though St. Luke's seems to be a high-quality option right in Todos Santos, I may not be able to afford a private hospital all the time. On the other hand, the nearest Seguro Popular is in La Paz or Cabo San Lucas - both about an hour away. I guess it will depend upon the severity of the situation should it ever arise. That and the timing, as we're likely to continue to live in The States for part of the year.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 06:53 AM

If anything gets that severe, I would opt for the DAN insurance and get to the border quickly. If your stay becomes extended, the best options are in the US. For instance, a person who has a stroke would not have the rehab resources in Mexico that they do in the US.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 07:20 AM

We live down here most of the year and pay dearly for USA medical insurance. We travel up when necessary for the odd medical issue that is not time sensitive. Last year I fell off a ladder and busted my melon on the deck. Went to Amerimed in San Jose del Cabo, a private hospital, and had excellent care including a CAT scan and overnight stay. Total bill $10,000 US secured by my credit card and paid 100% by my US insurance since it was an accident.

So if you can cover a bill for an accident in the short run while the hospital sorts it out with your US insurance co. you are golden. Best to check with your insurance and see what they cover while you are staying in your "vacation house."

Since I retired we have been able to keep our insurance with the City where I worked. I just have to pay for it. It is great coverage so we do not want to let it go even though it is over $1,000 per month. Others I know down here have international policies from Europe or somewhere that cover them in Mexico and the US or most anywhere else for a lot cheaper.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 07:34 AM

Thanks @ElJefe. My health insurance is currently provided by my employer, who pays 20% of the premium. I have the option of continuing to carry the same insurance via COBRA, but would end up picking up the whole tab, which is about $650 per month. I have the option of switching to a higher deductible, which would reduce that.

According to the DAN Insurance website, I don't need to be a diver in order to purchase a plan, which seems to provide extensive benefits at a low cost.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
The Adios part is pretty important..make sure you have a plan to get to the Border, even if its just an iron clad deal with a friend to drive you out...I have had to do that twice....Once with a blownout knee, and once with a gut gremlin.....AND make sure you know where you are going once you cross the border....

Sharp Medical Center, Chula Vista......east on Telegraph Canyon Road from the 805

http://www.sharp.com/chula-vista/index.cfm

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
Others I know down here have international policies from Europe or somewhere that cover them in Mexico and the US or most anywhere else for a lot cheaper.

I'm going to look into that.

Of course, you can buy insurance in Mexico that covers the best of hospitals. I have a friend who is 53, in good health, that has a plan with AXA, full coverage, 30% discount on already cheap meds. $1,100 per year.

http://www.bnamericas.com/company-profile/en/AXA_Seguros,_S,...

[Edited on 5-29-2013 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
overnight stay. Total bill $10,000 US

Who supports these hospitals when the occasional insured foreigner isn't available? Certainly not the locals, rich or poor.
This price, even with a Cat Scan, seems ludicrous.
What makes it worse is, when someone is checked into one of these places, he becomes their prisoner until bailed out.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
Others I know down here have international policies from Europe or somewhere that cover them in Mexico and the US or most anywhere else for a lot cheaper.

I'm going to look into that.

Of course, you can buy insurance in Mexico that covers the best of hospitals. I have a friend who is 53, in good health, that has a plan with AXA, full coverage, 30% discount on already cheap meds. $1,100 per year.

http://www.bnamericas.com/company-profile/en/AXA_Seguros,_S,...

[Edited on 5-29-2013 by SFandH]
Check out the ING policy. My friends have it and it even pays for their medical care in the US. They are in their 60's and told me they pay around $300 a month.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
overnight stay. Total bill $10,000 US

Who supports these hospitals when the occasional insured foreigner isn't available? Certainly not the locals, rich or poor.
This price, even with a Cat Scan, seems ludicrous.
What makes it worse is, when someone is checked into one of these places, he becomes their prisoner until bailed out.

it just takes one injured gringo to pay for xmas bonuses for all staff!

the imprisonment seems to be in conflict with hippocratic oath,... perhaps la doctora can explain how the prison approach to collecting from patients jives with legal and ethical standards of medicine, eh?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 10:16 AM

We need to have a USA constitutional amendment that specifically addresses the issue of malpractice awards, and sets limits and guidelines for awards. Felonious doctors don't need to be sued (they have insurance) they need to go to prison. Scumbag ambulance chasing lawyers need to change occupations like over to shoveling ----.

I am not a gosh darnned piggybank for "INJURED? SICK? WE'LL COME TO YOUR HOSPITAL BED!" freakin' leeches. Take them OUT of the equation, force the industry to adjust their prices down to compensate for greatly reduced insurance costs, and doctor administrative costs and let the system HEAL PEOPLE.

Remember 99.99% of POLITICIANS are failed lawyers. Like hiring a security company consisting of failed burglars.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 10:20 AM

These people who are pimping the low cost Mexico Health Industry, need to become vocal in this issue. It's highway robbery of the desperate.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 01:58 PM

I try to make others aware the best I can.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
These people who are pimping the low cost Mexico Health Industry, need to become vocal in this issue. It's highway robbery of the desperate.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2013 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I try to make others aware the best I can

Yes, you do, by suggesting the affordable alternatives.
Thanks.

I'm not looking for cheap, by any means, but ten thousand dollars for a one night bed and a Cat Scan?
Maybe insurance rates wouldn't be so high if these things didn't happen.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.