Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Frank Capa's best -

Robert Capa?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 07:56 AM

My father had a good friend who was very similar to uncle Willard, he also has no interest to discuss WW2 but who as a paratrooper was one of the first to hit the ground before the landing.

6/6/44 my tenth birthday I remember it well all the radio,s blasting away,everyone cheering but concerned,not many of those boys are left,I've always had a lot of admiration for those guys!!
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 08:27 AM

DavidE,

Let's not ruin this by bringing up the French.

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 08:51 AM

You're right, DavidE and jbcoug - let's not bring up the French - those nasty, vile people who were the only county to believe in our little experiment called democracy. The same people who fought next to us in our revolutionary war and gave us as a gift one of our most endearing icons - the one that sits on ellis island. Yup, those same vile people who also live in a democracy and had the unmitigated audacity to have an opinion about us that I gather runs contradictory to yours.

Whoa there, Cowboy - pull back on those reins!
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:18 AM
Rick Atkinson WWII trilogy

I'm reading the Rick Atkinson trilogy on WWII and it's the most enthralling historical account of the campaigns that I have read. It was good we got all the kinks out in North Africa before we tried the D-Day landings. The historical research is amazing as the bibliography is about 1/3 the length of the books.

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:46 AM

Did anybody notice that there was not one D Day movie on TV yesterday. In years past just about every movie channel had at least one WWII movie on. Yesterday, I couldn't find one. Says alot for this day and age.

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I wish I could someday have a chance to visit the cemeteries in Normandy. I know it is impossible. I also wish some of the French would remember the sacrifices a little harder.

Don't forget the other 19 foreign cemeteries our WW2 soldiers are buried in. The total count is 104,366 dead, brave Americans.

IN ALPHBETICAL ORDER

1. The American Cemetery at Aisne-Marne , France ... A total of 2289

2. The American Cemetery at Ardennes , Belgium ... A total of 5329

3. The American Cemetery at Brittany, France ... A total of 4410

4. Brookwood , England - American Cemetery ... A total of 468

5. Cambridge , England ... A total of 3812

6. Epinal , France - American Cemetery ... A total of 5525

7. Flanders Field , Belgium ... A total of 368

8. Florence , Italy ... A total of 4402

9. Henri-Chapelle , Belgium ... A total of 7992

10. Lorraine , France ... A total of 10,489

11. Luxembourg , Luxembourg ... A total of 5076

12. Meuse-Argonne... A total of 14246

13. Netherlands , Netherlands ... A total of 8301

14. Normandy , France ... A total of 9387

14. Normandy , France ... A total of 9387

16. Rhone , France ... A total of 861

17. Sicily , Italy ... A total of 7861

18. Somme , France ... A total of 1844

19. St. Mihiel , France ... A total of 4153

20. Suresnes , France ... A total of 1541

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by durrelllrobert]

[Edited on 6-7-2013 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 11:31 AM

France is such a fun country to travel in, great food, hot women,... can't for the life of me figure out why gringo numbskulls are anti french,... just because the french have opinions:?::?::?:
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
I wish I could someday have a chance to visit the cemeteries in Normandy. I know it is impossible. I also wish some of the French would remember the sacrifices a little harder.

They do David, they remember quite well.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 05:05 PM

This country was founded on the principles of French Enlightenment.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Inalienable Rights.

Where did that come from? Straight from the minds and values of the most advanced French thinkers of that time.

The American identity wouldn't even exist without the French. The pursuit of freedom which we see in every American film and hear in every political speech is what we got from the French.

I was watching DeMille's "Ten Commandments" the other day and there it was again. The message. "Let My People Go". It was a film less about the Bible than the American values of personal liberty and freedom from bondage. It goes all goes back to the French Revolution.

"Give me Liberty of Give me Death". It's all there. The French over and over again, from the begining. We have no idea how much of France is in us.

------------------------------------

Why don't Americans like the French? Because the French are independent and have a sense of self worth. They are not followers. They followed us in Kuwait but not in Iraq. Unlike England they don't rubber stamp everything we do. And that bothers many.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 09:09 PM
To KNOW them is to ........................

It reminds me of something I read in Sail magazine years ago when the writer was visiting St. Barts and was surprised to find that the most popular T-Shirt worn by the natives said "I Hate FROGS".

BTW, the Frogs that were allied with us in our Revolutionary War (mainly for reasons having to do with their hostility towards Great Britain) were the LOSERS in that insane French Revolution.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2013 at 11:10 PM

Nomads talk tires (offroad tires) but exclude BFG and Michelin because they are a French company. The French said "No Thanks!" when we invaded Iraq.

So did Mexico, Canada, all of South America except Columbia, and most of the sane world.

By the way - Here is a photo of my Uncle Willard off to war -

EDIT - The same mistake Obama was criticized for - calling him an uncle when he is in fact my great uncle... my fathers uncle... my grandfathers brother.

He held my daughter. How freaking cool is that?

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by bajadogs]

Willard-Cole.jpg - 18kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
It reminds me of something I read in Sail magazine years ago when the writer was visiting St. Barts and was surprised to find that the most popular T-Shirt worn by the natives said "I Hate FROGS".

BTW, the Frogs that were allied with us in our Revolutionary War (mainly for reasons having to do with their hostility towards Great Britain) were the LOSERS in that insane French Revolution.

Yes, the French Revolution was, essentially, an unsuccessful American Revolution. Same ideals but different outcome. France at the time was surrounded by monarchies who were horrified at the spectacle and feared their time was at hand as well. They worked hard to undermine it. Chaos and disorder followed by dicatatorship and nationalism. The dynamics were totally different in the New World where the only threat was from stone age man. But the difference between the form of government in the United States and those of Latin America is rooted in what the French Enlightenment passed on to us vs the church hegemony of the southern nations.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 06:47 AM
Mexico in WWII

Mexican Air Force Squadron 201, nicknamed the "Aztec Eagles", flying US made P-47 "Thunderbolts" participated in combat missions in the Phillipines. It's fighters offered close ground support for U.S. and Philipino ground forces as they struggled to liberate the islands from the Japanese.

Decorated by the United States, Mexico and the Phillipines, its 31 pilots and approximately 150 ground support personnel were the only Mexican military force to serve outside of Mexico. Of the squadron's 31 pilots, 5 were killed in action. Its personnel, both pilots and ground support elements certainly deserve to be regarded as heros by both Mexico and the United States.

http://www.airartnw.com/aztec_eagles_story.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escuadr%C3%B3n_201

http://www.airartnw.com/strike_of_the_aztec_eagles.htm

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by bajaguy]

Correcamino
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Did anybody notice that there was not one D Day movie on TV yesterday. In years past just about every movie channel had at least one WWII movie on. Yesterday, I couldn't find one. Says alot for this day and age.

I agree, I didn't see even one airing of "The Longest Day", which used to be an annual ritual on June 6th. D-Day was such a big deal in my youth. Amazing how the country has moved on. However, TCM (which has a very old demographic), came through with a slate of D-Day/WWII related films. Most were pretty weak (No Longest Day) but at least they remembered:

TCM Schedule for Thursday, June 6, 2013

In honor of the 59th anniversary of D-Day, during the daylight hours, we're fighting the N-zis across Europe during World War II.

6:00 AM -- Attack on the Iron Coast (1968)
Canadian commandos take on a N-zi post on the coast of France.

7:45 AM -- Fighter Squadron (1948)
A dedicated flyer pushes himself and those around him during a perilous World War II campaign.

9:30 AM -- I See A Dark Stranger (1945)
An Irish woman who hates the English turns N-zi spy.

11:30 AM -- The Americanization of Emily (1964)
A British war widow falls for an opportunistic American sailor during World War II.

1:30 PM -- 36 Hours (1965)
N-zis kidnap a key American intelligence officer and try to convince him that World War II is over.

3:30 PM -- Resisting Enemy Interrogation (1944)

4:45 PM -- Screaming Eagles (1956)
A group of young soldiers parachute into France in preparation for D-Day.

6:15 PM -- Breakthrough (1950)
An American infantry unit moves from basic training to combat in Europe.

This film's opening prologue states: "With the American Troops in England. The Spring of 1944."

Si sirve, sirve.
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
France is such a fun country to travel in, great food, hot women,... can't for the life of me figure out why gringo numbskulls are anti french,... just because the french have opinions:?::?::?:

France doesn't seem to remember the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". France would be goose stepping and speaking German if it weren't primarily for the military forces of the USA/England/Canada to save their bacon in WWI and WWII. But, from what I gather the French don't like the USA, and the feeling is mutual in the USA. It's not saying much to say they have great food and hot women, and you left off, over priced wine. IMO, I'm not impressed.

Why do Liberals insist and demand that achievers pay the way for nonachievers who are to lazy to succeed, or are just failures by their own choice?

Criminals prefer unarmed victims, dictators prefer unarmed subjects.

Why do ignorant people continue their blabbering when it only proves to others how stupid they are.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 08:19 AM

Perhaps we should be concentrating our appreciation on the French who fought and suffered in WW-2. We can French Fry the later edition some other time.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 08:49 AM
Appreciation

Should be framed in REALITY.

Before Canonizing the Frogs of WWII for their invaluable assistance to US, it is well to note that WE were Liberating THEIR country along with the rest of Europe.

And, that THEY found it too easy to Forget the DEBT owed to us once they were safe again.

As the French Jimmy Durante is well-known for saying (although not his original thought) that, nations don't have friends and don't have enemies. They have Interests.

Which Chuckie de Gaulle well demonstrated.

THEY owe US a LOT MORE than WE owe THEM.

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by MrBillM]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

THEY owe US a LOT MORE than WE owe THEM.

Could be, but a Baja website seems a strange place to be calling in the markers.
Correcamino
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 09:47 AM

I followed this anti-French thread for some time before remembering that I work as a volunteer reading tutor at (ironic pause) Lafayette Elementary School. But I guess this begs the question, is there an Eisenhower or Pershing école élémentaire in France?

I have spent some time in France over the years and I find that for the most part they are absolutely nuts about everything American - culturally, that is. Politically we come into fashion and (much more often) go out of style. But they generally have very little sympathy or appreciation for all the blood and treasure we've expended to keep the world (relatively) free and free from conflict.

Then there's the whole Jerry Lewis thing:?:

Si sirve, sirve.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.