Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: 6 Hours at San Ysidro
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 05:29 PM

I'm looking for someone to confirm there is in fact a separate pedestrian line at San Ysidro for us Ready folks. It might change my Rx refill drill.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 07:18 PM

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Ysidro-Border-Pede...

Check out the photo in the article and the article. Give it a go and let us know. :saint:

"Other improvements include designated lines outside the building for those pedestrians in the Ready Lane, SENTRI and other Trusted Travelers as well as the general foot traffic.
Pedestrians can also sign up for Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for their U.S. passport, SENTRI/FAST/Global Entry card or newer legal permanent resident cards. Having RFID-enabled travel documents allows border crossers to use the pedestrian Ready Lane.
Ready Lane travelers at Otay Mesa wait at least half as long as other people crossing the border on foot, CBP officials said."

[Edited on 9-4-2013 by elgatoloco]

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH

I've never understood why there isn't a US citizen line like they have in airports. Citizenship is the fundamental issue.

I don't know, but I doubt I'd appreciate Mexican only lines going into Mexico.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
I'm looking for someone to confirm there is in fact a separate pedestrian line at San Ysidro for us Ready folks. It might change my Rx refill drill.

Never heard of a Pedestrian Ready Pass line. SENTRI....common slob and infirm is all I'm aware of.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 08:10 PM

Took us 35 minutes to cross today at 1:00 pm.

We had a fastlane pass and it was awesome.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
schwlind
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 05:09 AM

A friend told me that she "recently" used the pedestrian "Sentri" line at the San Ysidro crossing... said it took her about 8 minutes total (and she didn't have any documents with her... had forgotten them all at home in LA)... They were able to look her up in their computer database, and after an admonishment of "don't ever let this happen again" she was quickly sent through.

Linda
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 07:34 AM

Quote:

I know for a fact that there is, because I use it all the time.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 09:19 AM

Thanks to those that replied. Sounds like improvements are being made. They really have organized what used to be a free for all inside the building right before the separate lines to inspectors started. Much, much less cutting in and jostling.

Quite a change for the better in the past couple of years.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 10:16 AM

I can confirm firsthand that there is a ReadyLane at San Ysidro for pedestrians. I saw it on Sunday. Once you get to where the fence separates the street and sidewalk, you'll see a lane demarcated with white lines (the general line) and a lane demarcated with green lines (the ReadyLane) on the right. If you have SENTRI, you should make your way past the folks in the ReadyLane; the SENTRI door and gate are to the right once you pass all the shops.

The general line was all the way up onto the hill and headed toward the railroad—at least 2 1/2 hours. The ReadyLane line looked like 30-40 minutes.

[Edited on 9-4-2013 by dasubergeek]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 10:24 AM

Better than pedestrian SENTRI

Better than a pedestrian Ready Pass

http://www.1stseniorcare.com/html/handicapped_walker_a.html
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I don't know, but I doubt I'd appreciate Mexican only lines going into Mexico.

I would support this. Problem is there's no way to enforce it as a large % of ticuas have CA plates.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
Better than pedestrian SENTRI

Better than a pedestrian Ready Pass

http://www.1stseniorcare.com/html/handicapped_walker_a.html

Why not go all out with 4 wheels, brakes a basket for your goodies and a seat in case the line is long:

http://www.1stseniorcare.com/tuffcarer420walkerwithbasketand...

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Make everyone shudder in their boots because there's a terrorist behind every tree.

What trees? They're standing in booths at the POE.
I can't stand to see what's happening. In the states, we're armed, or should be. What can happen on the ground. Are a boatload of mad Muslims going to overpower 350 million people?

If our government wasn't so complicit in the drug trade, we wouldn't have a problem with that either.
Our own government is our worst enemy and Homeland Security is our new nanny.
Behave....or be spanked.
This really sucks.

I've always valued your input . But we do not always agree.

First of all, I cannot buy into the idea that everyone should be armed. This is an NRA value that is totally funded by the arms manufacturers.

Second, I just read a study about drug overdose deaths. I have not smoked or ingested marijuana in years. However, this study failed to find a single overdose death related to pot.

Methinks that the same forces at work to sell more guns and ammo are what Ike warned us about over fifty years ago. The military industrial complex. Is it a coincidence that we have virtually been in combat wars since we took over Viet Nam from the French after thry wised up and realized it was a losing battle?

Homeland Security is just another pork project.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
I can confirm firsthand that there is a ReadyLane at San Ysidro for pedestrians. I saw it on Sunday. Once you get to where the fence separates the street and sidewalk, you'll see a lane demarcated with white lines (the general line) and a lane demarcated with green lines (the ReadyLane) on the right. If you have SENTRI, you should make your way past the folks in the ReadyLane; the SENTRI door and gate are to the right once you pass all the shops.

The general line was all the way up onto the hill and headed toward the railroad—at least 2 1/2 hours. The ReadyLane line looked like 30-40 minutes.

Yup, just as you say. Walked back at about 2pm today and it was 10 minutes in the ready lane. Regular lane looked to be about an hour. SENTRI folks had no wait.

On the way into Mexico, walking, I stopped to get a FMM because I'll be heading to BCS soon and the guy accepted my passport card, I didn't have my book, stamped everything and said just make sure you stop at the bank. What's up with that? I thought you got the form, paid at a bank, and then went back for the stamps. Guess not.

The border keeps getting easier.

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by SFandH]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, just as you say. Walked back at about 2pm today and it was 10 minutes in the ready lane. Regular lane looked to be about an hour. SENTRI folks had no wait.

On the way into Mexico, walking, I stopped to get a FMM because I'll be heading to BCS soon and the guy accepted my passport card, I didn't have my book, stamped everything and said just make sure you stop at the bank. What's up with that? I thought you got the form, paid at a bank, and then went back for the stamps. Guess not.

The 'bank' is a window next to the INM desk... why did you no ask to pay for it right then and save an extra stop in Mexico on your next trip? Just curious...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 09:27 PM

Crossed 2x this past weekend at SY, using SENTRI though... 5mins each time...

Saturday at around 5pm, regular lanes seemed to be about a 2hr wait, not bad I thought. Sunday looked to be about 2.5-3hrs...

[Edited on 9-5-2013 by BooJumMan]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:

The 'bank' is a window next to the INM desk... why did you no ask to pay for it right then and save an extra stop in Mexico on your next trip? Just curious...

This was at the walk across on the east side. Is that where you're talking about? I asked where the bank was, "Donde esta el banco?" And he replied in English that I can use any bank. This was done in a small office down a hallway after you enter the building that you walk through going south, not at a window. He did not point me towards any bank window nor did I see one. Maybe this is because the walk across route, I think, is temporary until they finish the building that is being built right there. Maybe I was in too much of a hurry. I don't know. I'll be walking across again before I head to BCS and I'll look.

I was surprised he accepted a passport card and said a regular passport book is not required. I wonder what a different official would say.

I wasn't planning on getting the FMM, it was a spur of the moment decision because nobody else was there.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 07:54 AM

Okay, thank you... I guess it was because you used the ped crossing is why the 24 bank window was not handy... a ways away from the new vehicle crossing.

Have a great trip and let us know when you do finally go into a bank to pay the fee... if there is any extra stamp on the FMM or a receipt to show you paid.

Thanks again!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 09:44 AM

I saw that too... I mean, that room really is gruesome... badly lit, worn even by border standards, uneven floor, and obviously thrown together in ten minutes by stopping at a sobreruedas for some old tables and chairs. Not that the old crossing was some glistening art tunnel, but at least it wasn't actively falling apart.

I notice they're making everyone press the button now—you used to be able to just swing through the gate and not stop unless you were asked to.

The tourism gov't folks said they're going to reopen the eastside crossing, at Virginia Ave., once everything is all done with the reconstruction. The idea will be that if you need an immigration office, you'd cross there and use the INM office the vehicles use.
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 05:49 PM

Today was the first time that I drove to Tijuana to start moving, and coming back, I accidentally ended up in the Sentri lanes. One of the CBP agents were an a**hole, the second was very nice, and said, it wasn't a problem, because it happens sometimes. The other one of them informed me that if I did it again, I would be fined $5000, and van would be impounded.

I got to spend 45 minutes in secondary today while another a**hole CBP went through my van. Besides manually inspecting it with a flashlight, they used the dog, and then had me drive through an X-ray machine. I guess he was disappointed that he found nothing.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.