Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: MY AUTO ACCIDENT EXPERIENCE IN LA PAZ
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
To answer Diana's and Ken's question...

I have rented vehicles from other companies in Cabo. They all have the same $5,000 "deposit for vehicle damage hold".
Last year I joined the National Emerald club for the free rental days program...however, the program does not apply in Mexico, only at US locations (which I found out about three months ago.
In Cabo, National has treated me the best of all the agencies. If you want the list of agencies not to rent from, I'll give you the list. Where I got hurt was when my flight to Cabo was canceled and I was a day late for the rental.

Thanks Udo, I wonder if it is the same on the mainland. We have always traveled by car or bus but are thinking about renting a car on the mainland. Same companies, so I imagine it is the same??

Did they charge for that day considering why you were late?

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 11:28 AM

Udo,

The last time I rented a car in Mexico was about 10 years ago and it was on the mainland. I really don't think I had to front $5k, but I could have. After looking at a few sites it appears it is the custom for rental car companies in Mexico to require the deposit ($3k-$5k).

However, as many policies in Mexico are, they are negotiable.

Your situation, which could have taken an ugly course, turned out well.

Ken
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 12:41 PM

Charging me for the late day would have been better than them tearing up the old reservation and having to start over again.
Then they really gave me the screws...The company was budget and their location was at least a long block away from any other company, or I would have walked.
Seems that many businesses in Mexico feel that they can take advantage of a situation and make whatever money they can, rather than build a rapport with the customer for future times.

In my instance, National was willing to go the extra mile to keep me as a repeat customer.

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
To answer Diana's and Ken's question...

I have rented vehicles from other companies in Cabo. They all have the same $5,000 "deposit for vehicle damage hold".
Last year I joined the National Emerald club for the free rental days program...however, the program does not apply in Mexico, only at US locations (which I found out about three months ago.
In Cabo, National has treated me the best of all the agencies. If you want the list of agencies not to rent from, I'll give you the list. Where I got hurt was when my flight to Cabo was canceled and I was a day late for the rental.

Thanks Udo, I wonder if it is the same on the mainland. We have always traveled by car or bus but are thinking about renting a car on the mainland. Same companies, so I imagine it is the same??

Did they charge for that day considering why you were late?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 01:19 PM

About 4 years ago we rented a car in Guadalajara for 2 weeks through our hotel, the Francis, and no deposit was asked for.
If my memory is correct, the total for the 2 weeks was around $300.00 US. Was a very small Chevy, but it served its purpose.
Traveled for those 2 weeks through the interior, visiting the old colonial cities.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
About 4 years ago we rented a car in Guadalajara for 2 weeks through our hotel, the Francis, and no deposit was asked for.
If my memory is correct, the total for the 2 weeks was around $300.00 US. Was a very small Chevy, but it served its purpose.
Traveled for those 2 weeks through the interior, visiting the old colonial cities.
I've stayed at various resorts all over Mexico and whenever I got cabin fever I've rented a car (some real Junkers) at the hotel desk with never a problem. But these are not rental car agencies/ franchises.

Bob Durrell
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg

Thanks to everyone for answering my question which may have qualified as a small hijack --- opps. :biggrin:

We are just so anxious to get back to the heart of Mexico.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2013 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

I can just hear this guy, "Yeah...I rear-ended you, but it's your fault, gringo"

And the lady behind him finds it all quite funny.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2013 at 11:31 AM

You have an eye for details, huh?

Udo

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-22-2013 at 12:01 PM

I just looked at the Payless rental agency site in Cabo and this is what they say:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...

Personal Accident Insurance/Effects Coverage
PAC/PAI- $4.95 per day plus applicable taxes
Personal Accident Coverage/Personal Accident Insurance: By electing to purchase optional PAC/PAI coverage at the designated daily rate, the renter and any of his passengers are insured while occupying the rental vehicle subject to all provisions of the group policy. PAC/PAI cost may vary by location.

Grace Period
Rental is based on a 24-hour period. The client receives a 59-minute grace period. If he/she keeps the vehicle after this time, an hourly rate will apply from minute one.

Hold Policy
It is the policy of Payless to have the confirmed vehicle available during normal business hours for the calendar day of the scheduled arrival.

Bob Durrell
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 9-22-2013 at 03:10 PM

glad it for turned out ok, UDO! And glad you all weren't hurt! It sure could have been a lot worse.

We rented a car this past Spring from Fox car rental in Loreto and had to put down 500.00 deposit. We did shop around, at first their estimate was almost a grand for 8 days but we were able to get them down, and it ended up costing us 600.00 for a rental car for 8 days. OUCH! The insurance was through the roof, but the daily cost of the car was what you pay just about everywhere, but whew they got us on the insurance!

OH and also, our agreement and contract was in US dollars, but when we settled up at the airport upon returning the car, they billed it in pesos, and we ended up paying more because of the inflated exchange rate that they used. So in otherwards they quoted us and we agreed to the amount of the price in USD but they billed us in pesos. We should have argued with them more, but when you are about to catch your plane, and they are going to take it out of your account anyways no matter what beef you have with it..what can you do? Trust me I was not a happy camper about any of our experience. We went to our bank, but they said, so sorry Charlie, "it is what it is, you signed the contract"!

I agree, some companies don't care about building a business based on repeat customers. Glad National had a good outcome for you!

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2013 at 03:27 PM

I agree with you, Krystal, about being billed in Pesos. But I feel I was being treated fairly on the exchange of $13.10 m.n. per USD. Pretty close to what the current exchange was at the time.

Our daily rate, including the full insurance for a skate board-sized car, was $24.30 in USD. But there was also the VAT for the airport rental, about another $2.00+- US per day.

As far as I am concerned, National is now my top rental in Baja.

Udo

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.