Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Panga Sharing Fishing Group - La Paz
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capitolkat
I'm one of the guys with a boat in la Paz. it's a nice size boat, in a marina, and I just don't get to use it enough- so looking for locals who maybe want to share gas and fish maybe one day a week until the weather turns. The fair thing is to share gas if a fishing buddy goes out on my boat and that's all I ask. I'm not competing with locals as I'll not advertise, look for anyone to come to La Paz to go out- just some fishing buddies who want to hit the water and share costs.

It might have been a problem in Loreto as gringos who rent out their boats are in competition with a more cohesive co op. That's not me and sharing my boat with like minded local gringos, who might otherwise not go out just makes economic sense.

If it works out fine, as I'd like to have some local fishing friends, who have good senses of humor, like to fish, and are willing to share gas expenses. If not that's OK too. Norm
I agree, there is absolutely no law against friends sharing expenses to go fishing on a foreign owned boat. I have heard the complaint from the Loreto fishermen, but I don't know if they're being cry babies because there aren't enough tourists to support their industry or if there really is a big problem with gringos arranging off the books charters for profit. I know that we have got the stink eye from the Loreto fishermen while fishing with a friend from San Nicolas. If anyone ever wants to brave the surf in a tin boat, I'd be happy to take them out here in the Pacific, or maybe trade trips with someone who has a boat in La Paz or Los Muertos.

[Edited on 10-12-2013 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 12:19 PM

If the officials think you are taking work away from the locals, you could lose your boat, motor, gear, etc.

Make sure you know the people you are taking out and are friends and that they have fishing licenses.

Once accused, you are fighting an uphill battle to prove the officials wrong in Mexico and maybe get your stuff back. . .

Just sayin'. . . .
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
If the officials think you are taking work away from the locals, you could lose your boat, motor, gear, etc.

Make sure you know the people you are taking out and are friends and that they have fishing licenses.

Once accused, you are fighting an uphill battle to prove the officials wrong in Mexico and maybe get your stuff back. . .

Just sayin'. . . .
Good advice Mula. I certainly don't condone people who are doing under the table charters, but if you own a boat you have the legal right to take anyone out as long as you're not charging them for the privilege.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Originally posted by Mula

Just sayin'. . . .
Good advice Mula. I certainly don't condone people who are doing under the table charters, but if you own a boat you have the legal right to take anyone out as long as you're not charging them for the privilege.

Taking friends out fishing seems like a very reasonable thing and if they share some of the costs, well that is just being a good friend. We have heard complaints from fishing guides, but then again, we have heard complaints about people who allow people to stay in their homes for free saying it takes away from the rental owners. :biggrin:

On the legitimate side of the complainers, we have known people who are working and even running corporations and businesses who do not have the proper immigration papers for working. Many get away with it, but they are running the risk of big trouble if someone complains. And the complaints would be legitimate.

capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 01:30 PM
friends sharing

I'm baffled here- a few months back I came back from a day on the water and was having a beer in the restaurant at the marina. A fellow and his son were there and the talk turned to boats, fishing, and he said his boat was having problems with the fuel pump and the mechanic couldn't get to it until the next week. we talked a little more and since my wife didn't want to go out the next day, maybe he did?? Sure and we'll share the gas-- crime committed?? I made no money- I didn't go looking to share my boat , he got to fish when he thought it was out.

I know a couple of local Mexican workers who sometime do work for me. They all like to fish. Their economic circumstances are different from mine, so I ask them go out with me - no sharing of costs, we split the fish. They certainly didn't go rent a panga so did something illegal happen in either case.

I've got a couple of neighbors who are sometimes fishermen, not really into it but a couple of times a year they ask to go out and they share the gas and bait costs, and we split the fish. They didn't hire any local pangero-so is there a lost opportunity they could claim??

I think a lot of folks look under the bed for boogiemen when there really is nothing but innocent friendly sharing going on. But, to avoid anyone getting the wrong idea-- if anyone is interested contact me offline, we'll share a beer, talk fishing, become friends, and I'll be glad to take my friend fishing. Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2013 at 01:18 PM

Do we have a date, time and location to at least get together, have a beer and swap lies?

In Memory of E-57
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2013 at 04:34 PM

Panga Sharing Meet and Greet" is firm for Tuesday at 5pm October 15, 2013 at Tony's on the Malecon.

I tend to agree with capitolkat as he described his views on the matter of sharing gas cost to go on his boat for a fishing trip.

It seems to me that sharing one's boat does not represent entering into competition for income with pangueros for many reasons. There is no profit in what capitolkat is proposing. There is no competing advertising, there is no profit at all in only sharing the variable cost of a trip such as gasoline as opposed to the charge that pangueros get which not only includes 100% coverage for all variable cost such as maintenance and repair, docking or marina fees in addition to 100% of gasoline but also 100% coverage for fixed costs like licensing, and depreciation for the boat, the motor and accessories plus a significant element for profit. Capitolkat is only asking to share in the gasoline cost.

As to what is considered true business activity, there is no comparison. I am sure that the Hacienda wouldn't and couldn't call what capitolkat is proposing as business that requires income reporting. Even the IRS considers activity that doesn't produce profits as a "hobby" and then denies that ostensible business any loss deductions against other income.

It is a slippery slope and a stretch to take the position that sharing gas on a fishing trip constitutes competition to the business activities of pangueros. I mean, there are many things that can "take work away from locals (i.e. pangueros)" such as football games on TV, going to Church, going surfing and everybody chipping in to pay for gas for the trip, or buying your own panga and using that to go fishing instead of paying a panguero. How about buying your own vacation home instead of going to hotels, or even allowing acquaintances and friends and extended family to stay at your vacation home in Mexico? What about having a pot luck dinner at your baja house; would all these things be considered by officials as "taking work away from locals (i.e. hotels and restaurants)"? If it does, then all I can say is there is no cure for unreasonableness where it exists, and how someone deals with unreasonableness is up to each individual.

[Edited on 10-13-2013 by MitchMan]

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by MitchMan]
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2013 at 03:04 PM
Tony´s Malecon La Paz on Facebook

If you friend Tony´s Malecon La Paz on Facebook you will get an idea of where the meeting is. Right next door to the only OXXO on the Malecon and very close to the Hotel Perla (about 200 ft. North) with a big blue tri-maran on the water in front.

We have plenty of inside seating with a view so it doesn't matter if it is raining (a couple of full tables now enjoying the rain and happy hour dark draft beers).

EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 01:59 PM
Green go

Quote:
[i

Mitch,
You may get yourself into some serious trouble with the local pangeros having gringo owned pangas sharing with outsider/visiting/tourist gringos.

Always have this problem here in Loreto.

We fish with an independent guy from Colonia Zaragossa, have for years, but remember a while back when the economy tanked cutting back visitors. Locals accused the gringos of under cutting them by taking out friends. Sam whoo-haw about renting or loaning out your house.

EdZ Colonia Zaragossa
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 05:08 PM
FWIW The meeting was a success

A great informal way to meet friends who share your love of fishing.

Kudos to Mitch for setting up this meeting and I hope to see another meeting soon with even more (there were eight for the first) people looking to meet like minded folk.

Peace,

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by akmaxx]
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 06:56 PM

Any time we get Nomads together it is a good time.

In Memory of E-57
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 09:51 AM

The Panga Sharing Group meeting was a success. Thanks to all the Nomads who were there and thanks to Tony´s for their attentive service.

The list of Nomads wanting to share a panga with other Nomads is up and running.

To get the List, you have to be on the list.

To get on the list you need to send me a U2U with your availability dates out into the future. Your dates can cover any time in the next rolling 12 months. After that, you can request a list anytime and I will send it to you.

I shared a panga this past Saturday and we caught our limit of Dorado. Sharing cut our cost in half for each of us. I am going out again this Friday. Any Nomad want to spit the panga with me, just U2U me.

Costs for panga fishing can be anywhere from $120 USD to $375 USD...depends who you go out with and where. Splitting those prices is quite a savings. I always go out on pangas at the lower end...have for years. Now, I will fish more and am willing to spend more to fish more. I am on a budget.

I quit golfing when the prices went crazy. They are not getting any more of my money.

The Group will not and shall not be connected to any private profit making by Nomad boat owners or any other non-panguero boat owners.

The effect of the group sharing will actually increase business and revenues for the pangueros as they will now get business from those who have refrained from fishing due to cost considerations. That money will now be spent on pangueros. Simple supply and demand Economcis 101.

See you on the water.

[Edited on 10-16-2013 by MitchMan]
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 10-16-2013 at 08:04 PM
Lo siento, K F'n Lastima

Quote:

On the legitimate side of the complainers, we have known people who are working and even running corporations and businesses who do not have the proper immigration papers for working. Many get away with it, but they are running the risk of big trouble if someone complains. And the complaints would be legitimate.

Darn! Don't we have about 20 million in the US, mostly from mexico (small m), pulling that crap daily...doing crimes Americans just won't do???

EdZ
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.