BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Broke down on Hwy 5...Do you think anyone stopped to help?
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 05:15 AM

I do and have stopped to help plenty...on both sides of the border. Once there were two nationals south of the border standing on the side of the road and I stopped to see how I could help getting them back on the road. They needed gas, so I put a couple of gallons in their car tank and after handshakes started back on my way. Looking back in the mirror I saw a that a car or two after mine, they were waving their cloth flag as another car slowed to stop to 'help'...fill 'er up please!

CortezBlue...not to provide excuses...a friend of mine stopped to assist in changing a tire for a lady stopped on the side of the road. Realized he was flying through the air, he woke up in the hospital without the use of his mangled legs. His memory of the 'flight' was clear in the realization in the moment that he had been hit by a car while changing that tire and yet never felt the impact.

Sometimes self preservation overwhelms the guilt of not assisting as we peer into the rear view mirror and hope for wellbeing of the stranded, perhaps not the " hoping no one looks their way" as rts551 would attribute.
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 06:46 AM

I have been broken down on the side of the road here in Mexico a few times and it is always a Mexican who stops to help and they have NEVER asked for money in return. They seem happy to just help out. I have never had a non-Mexican offer to give me a hand.

In fact I had an issue with a windshield wiper I was trying to replace in San Diego once, sitting at the dealership and obviously in need of help as many people took notice and kept on walking past. I finally threw down the tool I had to borrow from one of the mechanics who worked there and said, rather loudly, "I give up and I'm going back to Mexico where people help people". A guy walking by chuckled and immediately offered to help me. He got it replaced and I was very thankful.
MICK
Nomad

Mood: livin the good life on the river

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 06:52 AM

I stop for gringos and Mexicans alike. To bad you weren't farther up I might have driven by and stopped.
Mick

Getting there is ALL the fun!
Ok being here is fun to
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 07:29 AM

We are in the habit of stopping also, even if it "looks" like everything is under control, better to make sure. A couple months ago we lent a guy a tool on the road from abreojos to highway 1. He promised to return it.....and he did!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

I don't need a manual,

Missed your spelling error yesterday, but one of your roadside angels........was he named Manuel? :lol:

Quote:

Do you think anyone stopped to help? Yep, but it wasn't gringos, it was a few Mexicano's that offered to help change the tire.

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 07:59 AM

Last year I was heading north on the toll road when the ABC bus I was following in the left lane suddenly slowed and moved over to the right lane. I thought that was so I could pass him and just as I started to he hit a large flooded area and the resultant waterfall he threw completely engulfed my Yukon. Zero visibility and I knew there was a guard rail on my left so I cut the wheel to the right and did a 180 without striking anything, then another 180 passing behind him in the right lane and off onto the soggy shoulder pointing the same way I had be heading.
My Yukon has posi-traction but the ground was so soggy I just buried the back end to the axel so I put on the flashers and the first car that came along was a Mexican in a van that stopped to help. He spoke no English and my Spanish is minimal but I got the drift that he would use his cellphone to call the Green Angels, which he did.

Apparently they told him that they couldn't pull cars out but would call a tow truck to come from Ensenada and I was about half way between Baja Mar and Puerto Escondido so he said that he would pull me out. All he had was a skinny yellow plastic rope that was just long enough to reach from the back of his van to the front hook on mine. Sure enough he did it and refused to take any money. God bless Mexicans.

Bob Durrell
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:10 AM

What do you mean Americans don't stop. I do, must have missed my report.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=69455
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
God bless Mexicans.

He/She does......with children.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

And I remember when you hooked Diver's rig up, truck and trailer, and pulled them back to El Rosario. And I remember Diver telling us that his rig was very heavy and not easy on your truck!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

For some here who like to refer to Americans as "guests" [albeit uninvited].......calling our culture deficient in "team ethic" makes them feel more accepted in Mexico, a country that prides itself on individualism.
I'll never understand it.
They might ask themselves what they would do if coming across a Mexican family, broken down on the side of the road in their US neighborhood.
I don't have to ask. I know.

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:28 AM

It's fine to praise the people that stop to help, but the moral of the story should be to learn where the tools are, and know how to replace a flat tire in a new car BEFORE you need to.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

They might ask themselves what they would do if coming across a Mexican family, broken down on the side of the road in their US neighborhood.
I don't have to ask. I know.

That is also a blanket statement and may be true for some. After all, we have met many ex-pats and visitors in Mexico who don't like Mexicans.

However, when we lived in Calexico we stopped several times to help out Mexican families from both side of the border. After all, some of them were our student's families and our neighbors. Does that make us special or unusual? I don't think so.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:39 AM

I'm less app to stop in the US to help on a freeway since the cops patrol it on a regular basis. On a two lane back road I will stop. Also when I'm off road no matter where I'm at I stop.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:44 AM

My husband stops to help everyone. Saturday after a long long day (6:00 pm.) Poker Run working, he was on his way home finally--when he stopped to help 4 young Mexicans which had a flat tire, 3 of which were girls. They were very grateful for his help as they usually are on the hwy here. They had an old jack which was not easy to use & not real helpful to them ,but with help got the job done. He was very late getting home but happy that he had helped someone in need.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I'm less app to stop in the US to help on a freeway since the cops patrol it on a regular basis. On a two lane back road I will stop. Also when I'm off road no matter where I'm at I stop.

I agree. I wasn't talking about freeway situations.
I probably wouldn't stop on a Toll Road down here either. There are services in place for that.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Dittos

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 11:00 AM

when a motorcyclist is in need of help he will place his helmet on the ground by the front tire. wouldnt it be great if there was a similar signal for motorist:?::yes:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
when a motorcyclist is in need of help he will place his helmet on the ground by the front tire. wouldnt it be great if there was a similar signal for motorist:?::yes:

Maybe a little pyramid of Tecate cans? MT....of course.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 11:05 AM

Quote:

So....being on my knees in the "prayer posture" is not the correct thing to do?

Even for an agnostic?

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Maybe a little pyramid of Tecate cans? MT....of course.
lol:lol:no ones gonna stop if they're MT!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.