[*] posted on 10-21-2013 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chupacabra
It's true.

I was out in my canoe the other day and shot some video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM

Chupacabra

Chupa,

I loved that PSA video as a kid and even more so later when I learned that the famous Indian, Iron Eyes Cody, was actually Italian!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Eyes_Cody

tx ws
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2013 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e

Mason Froule, Australian marine biologist at his country's Oceanographic Laboratory Outpost on Macquarie Island, South Pacific, said the bizarre accumulation is explained by a scientific term called "like aggregation"-- that is, the massing of similar objects over short or longer periods of time due to wind or ocean currents, magnetic fields, buoyancy and other conditions.

"It's fairly common in the world's oceans," he said: natural events such as red tides, for example, are instances of "like aggregation." "People with pets that shed lots of hair can see it in their own homes," Froule added. "The dog sheds everywhere in the room, but after falling out, the fur soon collects in a few clumps and masses."

I'm not sold on this idea of "like aggregation". Are you?

Red tides don't occur because dinoflagellates are attracted to one another, forming a large mass. The mass is created when a threshold is reached and they reproduce like mad, remove the oxygen, and the dying matter from other life around them provides them with nutrients to reproduce even faster. It's a self sustaining cycle.

Fur balls are created because hair clings to hair physically like velcro. It also clings to rugs. In fact if you have hardwood floors you find more furballs than on a rug.

If I release a small particles of the same size in a stream they should all settle out in the same general area. If the partlcles are larger they would again all settle in the some area, but a different area. To me that's not aggregation. Aggregation is when one seeks out another.

I remember reading this book as a youngster of an area in the Atlantic east of the Canary Islands where all the currents converged upon an area leaving huge fields of sargasso weeds. Old pirate ships would end up there for centuries with people who learned to subsist on various seaweed dishes. There grew a community with members who visited one another with rowboats for social events.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2013 at 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e

Mason Froule, Australian marine biologist at his country's Oceanographic Laboratory Outpost on Macquarie Island, South Pacific, said the bizarre accumulation is explained by a scientific term called "like aggregation"-- that is, the massing of similar objects over short or longer periods of time due to wind or ocean currents, magnetic fields, buoyancy and other conditions.

"It's fairly common in the world's oceans," he said: natural events such as red tides, for example, are instances of "like aggregation." "People with pets that shed lots of hair can see it in their own homes," Froule added. "The dog sheds everywhere in the room, but after falling out, the fur soon collects in a few clumps and masses."

I'm not sold on this idea of "like aggregation". Are you?

Red tides don't occur because dinoflagellates are attracted to one another, forming a large mass. The mass is created when a threshold is reached and they reproduce like mad, remove the oxygen, and the dying matter from other life around them provides them with nutrients to reproduce even faster. It's a self sustaining cycle.

Fur balls are created because hair clings to hair physically like velcro. It also clings to rugs. In fact if you have hardwood floors you find more furballs than on a rug.

If I release a small particles of the same size in a stream they should all settle out in the same general area. If the partlcles are larger they would again all settle in the some area, but a different area. To me that's not aggregation. Aggregation is when one seeks out another.

I remember reading this book as a youngster of an area in the Atlantic east of the Canary Islands where all the currents converged upon an area leaving huge fields of sargasso weeds. Old pirate ships would end up there for centuries with people who learned to subsist on various seaweed dishes. There grew a community with members who visited one another with rowboats for social events.

I'm sorry Joe...but if you are going to use multi syllable words, logic, and science you really need to just butt out of this conversation.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2013 at 11:40 PM

My mistake.

I'll stick to pictures. Although you probably won't like them either.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
LOL... the sky is falling, and the earth is warming... no it's cooling... no it's warming... Climate: IT'S DYNAMIC not STATIC!

The answer from the left: tax more, have less, accept blame.

What a pointless contribution to this thread. Take the boring left/right stuff to the Off topic.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Just another "Spam Story" to try and Scare People into beleiveing something that is Not True.
If you notice the Liberal Commie/Scoialies always try to make People thionk that the "World is Falling""!! They do not have the Ability to present a Positive way to Fix a problem.

Is it the DOPE?? Is it the lace of Teaching?? Are they not able to Learn??

Many of the Liberal Louts have to depend on other peoples words to get along in the Great World.

They will not Survive in the Years to come.

Skeet/Loreto
A Redskin/Redneck Texan

Can you shed any light on how what you read in the original post leads you to a diatribe on the failings of "Commies" and "liberals"?

Are you aware that in even before the Japan Tsunami there was an area known as the Pacific Trash Vortex, where plastic trash and debris of all kinds are highly concentrated by the North Pacific Gyre?

But then again, maybe you're right...I was on the beach yesterday and saw a lot of rubbish. I wondered where it came from. Perhaps it was "Commies" that cleverly deposited all those plastic bottles and junk on the beach.
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by walters886
I loved that PSA video as a kid and even more so later when I learned that the famous Indian, Iron Eyes Cody, was actually Italian!

Yeah, the even based an episode of The Sopranos on that premise.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 08:55 AM

Maybe we should talk about "air" ... :biggrin:

"Air pollution, mostly caused by transport, power generation, industrial or agricultural emissions and residential heating and cooking, is already known to raise risks for a wide range of illnesses including respiratory and heart diseases."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/17/us-cancer-pollutio...

Think China is finding out all one would hope to know about air pollution ... just saying

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 11:01 AM
Can Chicken Little Swim ?

When the Sky falls into the Broken Ocean, will it Kill the Fish ?

A question only a Liberal can answer ?
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 11:19 AM

Crabaa:
If you are on this Forum long enough you will find several of the Poster who are Commies.Socialse Liberal Louts who always attach The United States especially the Regilous,Rich People, and all of those Old Tradiations such as Slavery.
the post about the ocean being Broken was just another "Blame soneone: type thing.

The Liberal does not have the Ability to Change things or even offer a way/Change to make it better only a Name-Calling bunch of words~!!

For over 38 years I lived and fished the Sea of Cortez, nearly every year going over to San Girogio andGuerrero picking up "Debris" washed upon the shores. I even found and old Single Mast of many years ago along with Cigarettee Lighters from Japan and other Japanese Items.. A long way to travel on the Water.

Don't be fooled by all these Naysayers about the Fish. There is more Fish and there will always be more Fish than anyone can take.

Be and Individual, look at different sides to all things and make a decesion from your own Mind and heart.

Keep in mind the actions and wordes of the Louts and you can see that they will not Survive, remember "survival of the fitest"".

Skeet/Loreto

A Redskin/Indian. Redneck Texan and Proud to be!!!!!!!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 11:27 AM

Too bad Doug doesn't put a notation alongside someone's
Nomad status, to identify the Anti-Science/Reasearch,
Tea Bagger, Appalachian Hillfolk, so the rest can bypass their posts
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 11:49 AM

Can Chicken Little Swim ?

My progressive response would be, no. By the time our over-polluted sky "falls", the sea will already be equally dead.

"Population, when unchecked, increases in a geometrical ratio. Subsistence increases only in an arithmetical ratio." Since the 1700's these premises of Thomas Malthus have held true.

In the effort to keep the two lines on the graph from diverging so far as to precipitate global catastrophe, I predict that man will crap all over his nest before he controls his breeding. This will end badly.

Then nature will do some major population control and if this doesn't precipitate a nuclear winter event, the survivors, Darwins's winners, will likely find that the planet is remarkably resilient and maybe they'll have learned something.

I'd love to know if the humans with dominant fight or flight responses, or the one's whose anterior cingulate cortex is better developed will win the natural selection battle.:coolup:

[Edited on 10-22-2013 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 12:42 PM

Skeet: " Don't be fooled by all these Naysayers about the Fish. There is more Fish and there will always be more Fish than anyone can take."

Really? Like the carrier pigeon? Or like the near extinction of Sea Otters, Gray Whales and Bison that it took some rational person to whine about to save?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 01:03 PM

I think there might be some validity to this "aggregation" theory :light:.

Just take BN, for instance. There seems to be a gaggle of right wing ideologists clustering around themselves, and a similar herd of more thoughtful people gathering to share their awareness and knowledge.

Which of these aggregations should be sent to that clot of garbage in the Pacific?

The right wingers will deny that they are in the middle of the chittpile....and, the others will likely recognize their situation and solicit help from both groups to clean it up. :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 01:50 PM

Ged, according to Pew, 50% of Americans believe that Jesus is going to kill everyone and take them to everlasting life in the sky DURING their normal life time. Why on earth should they put ANY effort into providing for the future. Would you; if you were so delusional? Wouldn't it be easy if you just KNEW you were right and you didn't have to study the data and deal with the consequences? When they couple this sense of superiority with a moral code which places little value on accountability (Jesus died for your sins) and a nine word explanation of reality, I find it hard to communicate with them.

A true Vonaguttian "chitstorm" is brewing in the sea and in the sky made of both natural and human causes, denial, I judge, won't make the outcome any more positive.:no:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 02:08 PM

You articulate my thoughts well...:saint:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 02:14 PM

Aside from a few whale species population increases, there's not much to be positive about regarding the health of our oceans..........

Understanding that has nothing to do with political affiliation.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 02:38 PM

TDK,
Oh, I wish that were true. If not a political orientation, at least it represents one's values.

Thin line separating these "positions".

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 02:55 PM

The problem is a world wide one involving nations, hell, continents. I don't think many in positions of power are denying that garbage patches exist in virtually every ocean.

[Edited on 10-22-2013 by tripledigitken]
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.