Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Great vid-- surf fishing adventure
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 08:52 AM

Okay, easy to find... Posted by BajaAndy, and 'Capt. Kirk' from the video joined Nomad as finchaser2020... Here it is: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64358

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
calico and jurel are plentiful.

Calicos may be plentiful in any one area, but they are fairly slow growing and the population can easily be dented.

That said, they are also quite tasty. I tend to keep the medium sized ones and release the big ones to keep spawning.

http://www.sportfishsandiego.com/calico-bass-info.html

Some guys are religious about releasing calicos, I'm not one of them.

WTF
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 02:17 PM

agreed, the big old ones turn a DARK brown and lose their checkers. we let them go.

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view did someone say world record? 29" and at LEAST 12#'s. we ate it that night and made a soup with the carcass a couple of nights later that fed 6 people.

Turns out the IGFA all-tackle world record is 9lb 14ozs. You guys ate the world record...

IGFA world record spotfin

WTF
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 06:25 PM

somewhere i saw 27" and 10#'s. we taped this biggie so i know it was 29". we didn't have a scale. how did this guy get it to an official scale, i wonder?

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
how did this guy get it to an official scale, i wonder?

Local Post office? Would their scale be certified, at least by Baja standards?

WTF
Finchaser2020
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chippy
Dumb and dumber do Baja.

Yes that would be me who was the pilot on that trip, I guess according to 'chippy' that would make me "Dumber". We had planned to be down last month for 10 days, but my partner (lets call him "Dumb" since he was just the passenger) had family and work problems and we had to cancel the trip.

We learned a lot on the trip last year. We have not spent a lot of time on the beaches or off road areas of Baja, so this a learning experience for us. But one thing is for sure. I would not trade that experience for anything. It was an amazing adventure, even with the truck getting stuck. I mean darn, it was just a freaking truck. I ended up selling it, got home safetly, and went out and bought a new truck. No big deal.

We will be down again, and yes riding on the beach with new knowledge and experience.

We are a bit smarter now, and if it lines up that another crazy situation arises I will just have to get my butt across the border again and get another truck.

But I will not stop seeking adventure, and traveling to areas I have never been before.

And for you 'Monday Morning Quarterbacks' laying on the couch, have fun with that!

While you are b-tchen' about how stupid people are, I will be out in search of a giant spotfin........Yes Woody.....one even larger that yours :)

And oh yes.... I love my new truck! Someday I will teach you guys how to get in a great vacation, and also get a new truck to boot.

Kirk (Dumber)
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 05:23 PM

I met an old retired guy at Jesus Maria that fished the Morro
Santo Domingo area and the long beach north of there.
I was in my 1987 pathfinder fishing between Laguna Manuela
and Variety beach. Went up and over sand dunes, but stayed
on the beaten path and walked down to do my surf fishing.
A bit inconvient. He however had a quad his dog, as well
as a very large white sea bass. Now that is the way to fish this area I thought to myself. His name if I remember was Jerry. Had a farm up north in Fresno. He stayed in Jesus
Maria in a house and had a small fixed wing aircraft. Any body else
know this guy?
After a good scare with the tides at San Felipe I have
since kept my vehicle off the wet littoral as it does not support heavy weight very well. It's bad enough getting stuck in dry sand! I Really enjoyed the video. So much so that I am going to go give it a try myself this Thanksgiving week.
Good to hear that you will be back at it. Throw a quad in the back of the truck and go for it that way.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Finchaser2020
Quote:
Originally posted by chippy
Dumb and dumber do Baja.

Yes that would be me who was the pilot on that trip, I guess according to 'chippy' that would make me "Dumber". We had planned to be down last month for 10 days, but my partner (lets call him "Dumb" since he was just the passenger) had family and work problems and we had to cancel the trip.

We learned a lot on the trip last year. We have not spent a lot of time on the beaches or off road areas of Baja, so this a learning experience for us. But one thing is for sure. I would not trade that experience for anything. It was an amazing adventure, even with the truck getting stuck. I mean darn, it was just a freaking truck. I ended up selling it, got home safetly, and went out and bought a new truck. No big deal.

We will be down again, and yes riding on the beach with new knowledge and experience.

We are a bit smarter now, and if it lines up that another crazy situation arises I will just have to get my butt across the border again and get another truck.

But I will not stop seeking adventure, and traveling to areas I have never been before.

And for you 'Monday Morning Quarterbacks' laying on the couch, have fun with that!

While you are b-tchen' about how stupid people are, I will be out in search of a giant spotfin........Yes Woody.....one even larger that yours :)

And oh yes.... I love my new truck! Someday I will teach you guys how to get in a great vacation, and also get a new truck to boot.

Kirk (Dumber)

HellYea!!! Love the idea that stuff is stuff and adventure is the goal.You can share my campfire anytime. The harder it gets the better the story. The fact you shot it all on a cell phone is crazy(also the future). What did you do the edit on? There is some work and talent in that short. Thank you for sharing.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 05:37 PM

didnt meet the guy but found this big boy standing in the middle of that loooong beachbreak, all by himself, nothing around for miles! and he was gonna give us the business for being on his beach!:o

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 05:40 PM

Kirk... you have an A+ attitude for Baja!

Now, have a good tire air pump with you that clips onto the battery, and let the air out! On any dirt road, drop to 20/25 psi range to smooth the ride, improve traction, and reduce rock punctures! Sand (beach, dunes) requires you drop to 10/15 psi range... no sharp turns, no slamming brakes... and replace the air once off the deep sand. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
didnt meet the guy but found this big boy standing in the middle of that loooong beachbreak, all by himself, nothing around for miles! and he was gonna give us the business for being on his beach!:o

Are you sure that's long beach at Laguna Manuela? I've riden the entire 13 miles and I don't remember it being like that nor the mtns in the background.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 07:53 PM

Quote:

Kirk (Dumber)

Kirk,

you guys embody the spirit of those who chase good times in Baja! you've paid your F*ing dues brother! i'd happily share some secrets with you in a place that shall remain nameless!

:cool:

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2013 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

Are you sure that's long beach at Laguna Manuela? I've riden the entire 13 miles and I don't remember it being like that nor the mtns in the background.
well you hot shoes are riding wheelies the whole way so all you see are passing aircraft!:lol: the low mtn range you're looking at is up by millers landing, that IS the beach.:yes:

[Edited on 11-2-2013 by willardguy]BTW that was taken within a day or two of gary going missing.

[Edited on 11-2-2013 by willardguy]
Finchaser2020
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Now, have a good tire air pump with you that clips onto the battery, and let the air out! On any dirt road, drop to 20/25 psi range to smooth the ride, improve traction, and reduce rock punctures! Sand (beach, dunes) requires you drop to 10/15 psi range... no sharp turns, no slamming brakes... and replace the air once off the deep sand. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Well that is 'one' of the things that we have learned. Even though that would not have saved us in that one particular incident, I am looking for a pump that does just what you say. Many different ones to choose from in all price ranges. From what I have heard you want one with clips that go directly to the battery. But I want to make sure that I get a pump that does not take forever to inflate the tires.

So if any of you have had good luck with a pump, I would appreciate it if you might share some brands and models that you use.

I am going to need one to get to that 'secret beach' that Woody fishes.....

Thanks

Kirk
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Well that is 'one' of the things that we have learned. Even though that would not have saved us in that one particular incident, I am looking for a pump that does just what you say. Many different ones to choose from in all price ranges. From what I have heard you want one with clips that go directly to the battery. But I want to make sure that I get a pump that does not take forever to inflate the tires.

So if any of you have had good luck with a pump, I would appreciate it if you might share some brands and models that you use.

I am going to need one to get to that 'secret beach' that Woody fishes.....

Thanks

Kirk

I have tried two... the Harbor Freight one ($50 on sale)... pumps 6 psi:min. Wires get hot and have fuses melt... but still works. The red Tsunami MV-50 is just a tad slower at 5 psi:min. but no melted fuse issues and it doesn't take as much room in my truck as the Harbor Freight case.

The ones that plug into the cigarette lighter are very slow: 2 psi:min.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 10:11 AM

Before and after dropping air in the tires:

Here is Art's 4WD van about to be swallowed by the sea... We got him to let more air out... and drive downhill just to get rolling (downhill meant towards the water)... Air pressure is everything in sand!

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
The red Tsunami MV-50 is just a tad slower at 5 psi:min. but no melted fuse issues and it doesn't take as much room in my truck as the Harbor Freight case.

I picked up my MV-50 at Off Road Warehouse in San Diego and it hasn't let me down. I would never trust one of those cigarette lighter plug-ins to reinflate multiple tires multiple times during a long trip.

WTF
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 04:41 PM

I'm on my second one. http://www.qindustries-store.net/product_p/mv-50-r.htm

the first worked so well that after 2 repairs it was worth my $ again. it was still running when i tossed it but worked so well, for so long, that i knew nothing could compare. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=59459#pid7165...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chupacabra
Quote:
The red Tsunami MV-50 is just a tad slower at 5 psi:min. but no melted fuse issues and it doesn't take as much room in my truck as the Harbor Freight case.

I picked up my MV-50 at Off Road Warehouse in San Diego and it hasn't let me down. I would never trust one of those cigarette lighter plug-ins to reinflate multiple tires multiple times during a long trip.

I had a Coleman inflator for many years (connects to cig lighter), without failure, but you needed 8 minutes per tire to reinflate... and 32 minutes in the desert compared 12 minutes (3 per tire) is a winner.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.