BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Guess what I can't find?
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 01:22 PM
GOAT CHEESE

SEVERAL ranchos WEST of SANTA AGUEDA make goat cheese.
El BULE has over 250 GOATS ...
LAS HIGUERAS has over 200 ...
El RANCHITO has a load of GOATS ...
CANDELARIA has a bunch ...
SANTA ROSA .....
SAN JAVIER ...

They ALL make GOAT CHEESE daily and transport it to SANTA ROSALIA on sunday morning where it is sold out of a few homes. Some might go in the stores ....

Makes the best QUESADILLAS ..... very similar to JACK CHEESE .... I used to bring blocks of JACK down on vacations ..... until I tasted some of theirs heated up on a tortilla .... It is the same ..... and theirs is so inexpensive .... mmmm
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 02:41 PM

Half & Half
100% sweet cream butter
Quality produce at reasonable prices
loose leaf teas
Decent wine selection
Quality Detergents
Quality paints
Economy size anything that is truly economical

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2004 at 03:03 PM
Produce

Swap meet on Sundays and Wednesdays in Rosarito.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 12:04 AM

Back to queso, queso, queso

Thanks to all for your responses,
but I think you missed my point,
I was referring to quality and variety,
not lack of quantity.

The Mexican Chihuahua (also queso Manonito), the Monterrey and the Manchego cheeses all look mostly the same and taste mostly the same, nothing stands out, but that's OK, they are supposed to be mild, melting cheese.

The Asadero, the Oaxaca string cheeses all look mostly the same and taste mostly the same. I don't know of a commercial brand that has a great taste.

The Mexican aged cheeses, the cotija, are bland and dry.

Where are the Pecorinos (aged sheep cheese), the Parmesans (aged cow cheeses), and, on the very big end where are any bleus (goat, sheep and cow)?

And, to the best of my knowledge, there are no fresh or aged goat and sheep cheeses of any kind available in the local markets of Rosarito.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Where are the Pecorinos (aged sheep cheese), the Parmesans (aged cow cheeses), and, on the very big end where are any bleus (goat, sheep and cow)?

Seems I recall a place that carries Pecorino Romano, Parmisano Reggiano, swiss, aged provolone, cheddar, horseradish cheddar, cream cheese and occasionally chevre and gorgonzola. Now if I could just remember where.;D

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 11-24-2004 at 05:53 PM
And back to my point

"Thanks to all for your responses,
but I think you missed my point,
I was referring to quality and variety,
not lack of quantity."

I betcha that between Tijuana, Rosarito, La Paz, and the Costco in San Jose, all of our "favorites" are to be had.

But, wouldn't that be a long list. Mexico does have some very good cheeses but probably not a lot of "specialty" cheeses.

In the mountains, everyone makes cheeses. Different kinds in different areas. Somewhat of an example is the trucks with queso de rancho that you see most everywhere as Herb mentioned.
Cheeses can be found anywhere in Baja and the home made varieties are delicious so I really don't count that one on the list. Store bought cheeses are mediocre as a rule.
But, if you really need a good Camembert instead of what's available locally, try Costco, San Jose del Cabo or the new Calimax in Rosarito :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 11/25/2004 by jrbaja]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 11-24-2004 at 11:43 PM

and to return again to my point...

there are abundant fresh materials and cheese makers available and perhaps many good specialty cheese in the hamlets of Baja, isn't this a great opportunity for the country?

If I go to the markets in the cities, the only interesting cheese available is imported and usually poor quality because of origin and lack of good storage.

In the countryside and villages and towns of France, the people have the same reverant attitudes towards local farm products, but they go beyond just supporting the local butcher, they demand locally produced vegetables, honey, and individually crafted cheese in infinite varieties.

I think that Baja could develop this kind of niche farming opportunities to great effect, since the euro's strength has driven the cost of European specialties so high.

IMHO, I don't know anything about food production, I appreciate artisans who are passionte about food, wine, art, etc.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 08:34 AM

Jr. lets see if we cant remove a couple thanks from your list.

1 Worcestershire sauce is sold in most stores under the name of salsa iglacia in several brands Maggi is best.

2. Parmesan cheese is now produced by Leches DE villa and is in about 2 stores here in Mulege, it is fresh and better if aged about one month and the grated

3. Tampons you can roll your on, with a Little practice. I'm not sure but I think we could make theme out of Bamboo:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2004 at 09:43 AM
Like I said Bruce

Most of these items can be found in the tourist areas, like Mulege.
But, when you get away from the places that cater to the gringos, you probably won't find any of these items.
And chances are, Carrizo would be a better idea for "roll your own" as the bamboo might be a little large, depending on hooz using them!:lol:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.