BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

Well, people once dreamed about governing themselves without a king to make their lives miserable. Look what happened.

No much happened. There is still social inequality. Now it is on account of wealth and then it was due to blood lines. The hierarchy remains.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I have a question. When did John Lennon leave the Beattles? That period in time was so full of music & events that keeping track of it all was difficult....and a little cloudy today.

September 1969

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 11:41 AM

Thanks elgatoloco...1969. Lots of things happening then....loud things. I recall a few that caused my tinnitus. (hearing loss)

Edit to add:

1969? Anybody remember Zip to Zap? ...a music event before Woodstock!

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 11:45 AM

Wikipedia covers that pretty well, Pompano. I was just reading it last night.

During the period occupying the recording of the White Album, Let it Be and Abbey Road, John, George and Ringo had a period where they either said they were leaving the Beatles (John) or walked out of recording sessions (George and Ringo). The Let it Be sessions were filled with acrimony between all of them and continued into the recording of Abbey Road. John told the others he was leaving but agreed to delay the announcement until after Abbey Road was released.

Taken from Wikipedia:

The primary recording sessions for Abbey Road began on 2 July.[223] Lennon, who rejected Martin's proposed format of a "continuously moving piece of music", wanted his and McCartney's songs to occupy separate sides of the album.[224] The eventual format, with individually composed songs on the first side and the second consisting largely of a medley, was McCartney's suggested compromise.[224] On 4 July, the first solo single by a Beatle was released: Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance", credited to the Plastic Ono Band. The completion and mixing of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on 20 August 1969 was the last occasion on which all four Beatles were together in the same studio.[225] Lennon announced his departure to the rest of the group on 20 September, but agreed to withhold a public announcement to avoid undermining sales of the forthcoming album.[226]

Released six days after Lennon's declaration, Abbey Road sold four million copies within three months and topped the UK charts for a total of seventeen weeks.[227] Its second track, the ballad "Something", was issued as a single—the only Harrison composition ever to appear as a Beatles A-side.[228] Abbey Road received mixed reviews, although the medley met with general acclaim.[227] Unterberger considers it "a fitting swan song for the group", containing "some of the greatest harmonies to be heard on any rock record".[229] MacDonald calls it "erratic and often hollow", despite the "semblance of unity and coherence" offered by the medley.[230] Martin singled it out as his personal favourite of all the band's albums; Lennon said it was "competent" but had "no life in it". Recording engineer Emerick noted that the replacement of the studio's valve mixing console with a transistorized one yielded a less punchy sound, leaving the group frustrated at the thinner tone and lack of impact and contributing to its "kinder, gentler" feel relative to their previous albums.[231]

For the still unfinished Get Back album, one last song, Harrison's "I Me Mine", was recorded on 3 January 1970. Lennon, in Denmark at the time, did not participate.[232] In March, rejecting the work Johns had done on the project, now retitled Let It Be, Klein gave the session tapes to American producer Phil Spector, who had recently produced Lennon's solo single "Instant Karma!"[233] In addition to remixing the material, Spector edited, spliced and overdubbed several of the recordings that had been intended as "live". McCartney was unhappy with the producer's approach and particularly dissatisfied with the lavish orchestration on "The Long and Winding Road", which involved a fourteen-voice choir and thirty-six-piece instrumental ensemble.[234] McCartney's demands that the alterations to the song be reverted were ignored,[235] and he publicly announced his departure from the band on 10 April 1970, a week before the release of his first, self-titled solo album.[234][236]

So, it depends on which event you choose to point to; his private announcement of quitting, his last time in the recording studio with the other three, his releasing of his own single or the public announcement by Paul that effectively ended the Beatles.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Hook]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 11:59 AM

On Wikipedia....an internet resource for most everything under the sun. Probably the real stuff about Lennon and the Beattles, but I can't say I believe everything written on that site...something like Trip Advisor for researching upcoming travels. You often get a prejudiced opinion which is nothing like the actual place or event.

At any rate...I liked most of the music from Lennon that I could hear and that's good enough. Like anyone, his personal life seems to have had some hills and valleys.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Thanks elgatoloco...1969. Lots of things happening then....loud things. I recall a few that caused my tinnitus. (hearing loss)

I was 11. :saint: My two older sisters would play the Beatles incessantly to the point that I developed an aversion to it. My oldest sister saw them play at Dodger Stadium. In my early twenties I re-discovered their music. Lots of good listening.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 01:11 PM

plain and simple.............It was Yoko's fault!

Quote:
Wikipedia covers that pretty well, Pompano. I was just reading it last night.

During the period occupying the recording of the White Album, Let it Be and Abbey Road, John, George and Ringo had a period where they either said they were leaving the Beatles (John) or walked out of recording sessions (George and Ringo). The Let it Be sessions were filled with acrimony between all of them and continued into the recording of Abbey Road. John told the others he was leaving but agreed to delay the announcement until after Abbey Road was released.

Taken from Wikipedia:

The primary recording sessions for Abbey Road began on 2 July.[223] Lennon, who rejected Martin's proposed format of a "continuously moving piece of music", wanted his and McCartney's songs to occupy separate sides of the album.[224] The eventual format, with individually composed songs on the first side and the second consisting largely of a medley, was McCartney's suggested compromise.[224] On 4 July, the first solo single by a Beatle was released: Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance", credited to the Plastic Ono Band. The completion and mixing of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on 20 August 1969 was the last occasion on which all four Beatles were together in the same studio.[225] Lennon announced his departure to the rest of the group on 20 September, but agreed to withhold a public announcement to avoid undermining sales of the forthcoming album.[226]

Released six days after Lennon's declaration, Abbey Road sold four million copies within three months and topped the UK charts for a total of seventeen weeks.[227] Its second track, the ballad "Something", was issued as a single—the only Harrison composition ever to appear as a Beatles A-side.[228] Abbey Road received mixed reviews, although the medley met with general acclaim.[227] Unterberger considers it "a fitting swan song for the group", containing "some of the greatest harmonies to be heard on any rock record".[229] MacDonald calls it "erratic and often hollow", despite the "semblance of unity and coherence" offered by the medley.[230] Martin singled it out as his personal favourite of all the band's albums; Lennon said it was "competent" but had "no life in it". Recording engineer Emerick noted that the replacement of the studio's valve mixing console with a transistorized one yielded a less punchy sound, leaving the group frustrated at the thinner tone and lack of impact and contributing to its "kinder, gentler" feel relative to their previous albums.[231]

For the still unfinished Get Back album, one last song, Harrison's "I Me Mine", was recorded on 3 January 1970. Lennon, in Denmark at the time, did not participate.[232] In March, rejecting the work Johns had done on the project, now retitled Let It Be, Klein gave the session tapes to American producer Phil Spector, who had recently produced Lennon's solo single "Instant Karma!"[233] In addition to remixing the material, Spector edited, spliced and overdubbed several of the recordings that had been intended as "live". McCartney was unhappy with the producer's approach and particularly dissatisfied with the lavish orchestration on "The Long and Winding Road", which involved a fourteen-voice choir and thirty-six-piece instrumental ensemble.[234] McCartney's demands that the alterations to the song be reverted were ignored,[235] and he publicly announced his departure from the band on 10 April 1970, a week before the release of his first, self-titled solo album.[234][236]

So, it depends on which event you choose to point to; his private announcement of quitting, his last time in the recording studio with the other three, his releasing of his own single or the public announcement by Paul that effectively ended the Beatles.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Hook]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 02:30 PM

Ah, a conspiracy theorist!

I used to think that but I now chalk it up to four guys who came of age under the most intense scrutiny and adoration, maybe in the history of the modern era. Sinatra only had to deal with Sinatra, Elvis only with Elvis. They had to make four personalities work, plus the pressure of their significant others. After they no longer needed to stay together for money, there was less incentive to deal with personalities that had certainly been affected by drugs and alcohol.

Yoko may have goaded John into being the first to express a desire to leave, but it was inevitable, after how poorly they were all getting along. Nothing lasts forever, except, I guess, the Rolling Stones. But they have undergone numerous changes and always used lots of studio musicians as well.

Some say it was the Beatles not chosing Linda Eastman's relative to be their new manager that was the final straw. Paul had to live with that.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 02:44 PM
One Look at Yoko ..................

Is enough to make a convincing argument that Lennon's Brain was fried from those drugs.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 02:48 PM

Being a larger than life figure who has been almost canonized, John Lennon was...and still is...a big target. Like so many idols, he is doomed to be overrated...no way not to be, given his success and fame. All over the world adoring fans model their lives and beliefs after the Lennon icon, and they really, really shouldn’t.

As to the Beattles breakup, this is what I just read after a 'search'...and it's 'just' what I read, not meaning that it is gospel.

"Contrary to later tales of a spontaneous break and/or the decision by Paul McCartney to leave the band, it was John Lennon who destroyed the Beatles. Certainly, all was not well with the band during the final years of the ‘60s, but it was Lennon and Lennon alone who brought down the axe, announcing at an otherwise routine meeting that he was leaving the group. It was kept under wraps for some time, but no one was under any illusions about the ability of the group to go on without him. Essentially, Lennon’s departure made the death of the Beatles inevitable; it just took a year or so for the obituary to be written."

To conclude, I can tell you that I get this from reading a few other 'facts' about the event:

That you can never believe what is written...only what you see.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:07 PM
Believe what you SEE ................

And one look at Yoko ......................

A picture IS worth a thousand words.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:35 PM

John created ''Double Fantasy'', his last album, with the help of Yoko. If the album reflects anything, it is the happiness and creativity he found with her. Personally, I think it's a great album.

In the end, John loved Yoko. That's all that really matters.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:40 PM

I had read somewhere that it was the trip to India that spelled the beginning of the end for the group. And that trip was large Harrison's idea. Nothing was quite the same after they returned.

It's amazing to me how they could produce such great music under those contentious conditions. Abbey Road is arguably their best album.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Skipjack Joe]
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:47 PM

Roger, if you cant trust ANYTHING you read, then I guess you will have to go to the next best thing.

Gotta Peso!!! :lol:

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Is enough to make a convincing argument that Lennon's Brain was fried from those drugs.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with the way Yoko Ono looks.

Now Bill on the other hand, you must be extremely handsome and surrounded by beautiful people all the time. But to quote a song somebody wrote,
One thing you can't hide
Is when you're crippled inside

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:53 PM

I don't know why, but I recall an album“Sometime in New York City”. Maybe because I was in the area. I doubt it became popular, but then I never followed it. Just a ghost of a memory these days.

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:54 PM

"....imagine no religion...."

One of his greatest lines.

carpe diem!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
"....imagine no religion...."

One of his greatest lines.

You couldn't resist, could you?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Roger, if you cant trust ANYTHING you read, then I guess you will have to go to the next best thing.

Gotta Peso!!! :lol:

Paul, after listening to a bunch of politicians spouting their garbage....I look forward to the honest b.s. from GottaPeso.

At least with him, you get some free entertainment.

As for getting any accuracy in writing...I just found out my birth certificate has a misspelling. :yes:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 04:01 PM

To those posting in this thread, during the 60's and 70's, were the Beatles at the top of your "play list"?
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.