Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: BOLA icon dies in car crash
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 03:41 PM

Had drinks with Herman at Hippy Johns place in the compound several years ago. What great stories from a long time resident of Baja. I will be missing him as I travel down this year.

Lee S
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 05:08 PM

That is sad news. We only hung out with him a few times but he always had a great story to tell.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Not that it's all that important, but are there any new details available?

After the great run that Herman had, it seems he deserved a more fitting exit.

DEP, Seņor.

Dennis,

There aren't any more details available yet, at least they haven't come by me. I have a few feelers out. As far as his exit goes, I was hoping it would be peaceful in his sleep, but I didn't win that one.

Knowing Herman he finally remembered to take the emergency brake off and was able to clear the 110 mph mark on the speedo, as he launched off a jump, with a trunk full of Jesuit gold, and car full of imaginary "Turtle farm girls" who knew how to clean windows, with visions of his killer margaritas dancing in their bellybuttons.

I'm just hoping it was quick.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Knowing Herman he finally remembered to take the emergency brake off and was able to clear the 110 mph mark on the speedo, as he launched off a jump, with a trunk full of Jesuit gold, and car full of imaginary "Turtle farm girls" who knew how to clean windows, with visions of his killer margaritas dancing in their bellybuttons.

I'm just hoping it was quick.

P>*)))>{

We can hope. Thanks, P. So sorry for your loss of a heart-close buddy. He may be on the same train north as Mandela. Who knows?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 07:56 PM

I last saw Herman at the end of September. He posed for this photo with me, as a favor to my son. Ever since my son was little he has been intrigued by Herman's old Navy tattoos. The story Herman told about this one was that he wanted to make sure that if his leg was ever shot off in the war, the medic could find it and know who to re-attach it to.

H.C. Hill

There was one summer when my son insisted he have his name written on his leg with a black Sharpie.

The following is the tribute my son put on his fb page yesterday;

"My "Baja Grandpa" of 22 years, Herman Chester Hill, died in a single car crash in Baja yesterday. I got to see him one last time a few years ago after I graduated college.

As a kid, I practically grew up sitting at that table behind him learning old Vegas card tricks, roaming the beach for hours with a metal detector, and watching old VHS tapes when the town generator was running.

He tattooed his initials on his leg so that they'd know who to return it to if it was blown off in the war. This picture was taken this past summer; he was in his 90s.

Bahia de los Angeles will not be the same without him. Thanks, Herman."

Today at work I received a txt from my son, who lives in New York. This is what I saw when I opened the message;

Herman, you are loved.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 11-12-2013 by Paulina]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:11 PM

My bud Richie, "Slick", just got back from LA Bay a few days back and had seen Herman close to his last day, reported here by Marv to be 12/07.
Herman had told Richie he wanted to be in Ensenada on the 7th to celebrate a birthday party, or something like that. He may have been in a terrible hurry.

He was 92, but didn't know what that meant.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:17 PM

it sucks that people don't ever get to know how much people really love them before they check out.

that tatoo is pretty epic! wish i could have met the man.....

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
it sucks that people don't ever get to know how much people really love them before they check out.

True enough. Didn't Jimmy Buffett sing something about a poet that didn't achieve fame until he died? [like so many others]
Paulina knows this one. :biggrin:

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:39 PM

Dennis,
I bet that was it, there was a 60th birthday party was last weekend in Ensenada. Leave it to Herman to "Barney Oldfield" it north, instead of leaving a day or two early. I wasn't kidding about the emergency brake. To be honest, Herman really should not have been driving, and I count it a blessing that no one else was involved.

Woody,
Herman knew. He posed for that last photo for my son. My son just wasn't decided at the time if he was going to get his own initials or copy Herman's. Herman ended up making the decision for him, I guess. Every time I left Bahia I never knew if it was going to be the last time I saw Herman. I always made sure to say I love you. Sometimes he beat me to it.

P>*)))>{

That song is "Death of an Unpopular Poet".

[Edited on 11-12-2013 by Paulina]

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:58 PM

Paulina, I'm so sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing your son's tribute. I scrolled the page to the tattoo and the tears erupted. What a sweet man you raised.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I count it a blessing that no one else was involved.

P>*)))>{

That was Richie's immediate response this AM when I talked with him..."Was anyone else hurt?"

Richie had in the recent past gone to GN with Herman and they had to agree before departure that Richie would drive the home leg of the trip.
He said Herman should never have been behind the wheel, if only for his age. I guess his driving was somewhat acceptable anyway.

Ohh well...:saint:

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 05:04 AM

So sorry to hear this... I went to see him on Thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago.

Talked about his prospecting adventures and Baja author things and shared a beer or two. He said he was heading north to Las Vegas.

A few pictures I took at the time. What a great character. He sounded sharp for a 92 year old... So thankful to have been able to share his company and his great stories over the years.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 08:03 AM

This brings tears. Paulina, my heart and prayers go out to you. I met Herman once on a solo kayak trip. I rolled into town looking for a place to launch. Herman was sitting with a friend on the plaza and inquired about my arrival there. He immediately invited me to his house to look at the map together. While there, about 5 other people stopped by. We brought out the beer and shots and had an impromptu party. So gracious, friendly, knowledgeable, outgoing - an inspiration. Rest in peace, Herman - you will be greatly missed.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Seems like Herman lived the life he wanted to.

Props to him.

Sorry to all those that will miss him.

Frank....didn't you know him? :?:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 10:15 AM

Thank you Paulina and Graham for adding the photos of Herman... and the words that accompanied them.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 12:15 PM

Sorry to hear about Herman...He was a friendly guy.
jgletne

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 04:41 PM
BOLA icon dies in car crash

Herman was a great guy. I always asked him to tell his chicken a$$hole joke when I brought down new friends. Here he is delivering the punch line at Guillermo's last October.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jgletne
Try the photo again

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24603#pid7909...

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 07:46 PM

Graham,

Thank you for posting your photos. I spoke to Herman's sister tonight, and will be forwarding your photos to her. The family will love to have them as they are so recent.

Jgletne, Herman loved to tell that chicken joke. I hope the photos are coming soon. The best part was that no one knew it was a joke till the end. That's how it was with most of Herman's stories.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by Paulina]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wo Dennis, that is a 2007 thread... long ago changed!

oooops....and here I thought Baja was "the land that time forgot"....or something like that. :lol::lol:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.