BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Desert Hawks... Rescue Services in El Rosario... Emergency, Contact and Help Info
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:30 PM
Close call for the Desert Hawks...

I would like to share something with you that has shocked me in several ways.

January 9th, 2014 / 8:02am... I am driving one of our ambulances code 3 northbound on highway 1, approximately 10km north of El Rosario, when suddenly a semi-trailer truck invades my lane forcing me off the highway... now, how did I get here...

One hour earlier, at 7:12am, Desert Hawks received a call from the local health clinic, the ambulance is required for "transportation" of a patient to a hospital in Col. Vicente Guerrero. Isela and myself are summon to assist and so we get ready and proceed to the local clinic.

We arrived at the clinic at 7:26am, where we found the "transport"... a 16 year old girl just had preterm birth to a 32 week old baby... the baby was just over 1kg of weight, barely breathing ... this was no "transport", this was an emergency...

I immediately got worried, we have no neonatal incubator in neither of our ambulances. The baby required suction equipment and oxygen... we have no tips or masks so small... we are simply not prepared for attending neonatal emergencies. The adolescent mother was not in good shape... she also required medical attention in a hospital.

Well... with a lot of courage, we jumped into our ambulance and immediately headed to the nearest hospital in Col. Vicente Guerrero... 120 km away.

On the way I was worried for the baby and frustrated for not having the appropriate equipment... but then I began listening to the 16 year old girl mom... She had no prenatal control, she did not know how long she had been pregnant, she had this preterm birth at home, where the baby was dropped into a bucket of urine, the mom cut the umbilical cord with some scissors she found lying around and went to the clinic only because she was in pain... Second child, she gave the first one away, saying she was sure this one was not going to make it but that it did not matter, she did not care so much about it, the worst thing was that the mother of this 16 year old mom was also in the ambulance and did not seem to be concerned at all...

I was silently driving the ambulance feeling very angry, worried, disappointed, mad, frustrated... but most of all sad... very sad to to see all this... how can this happen?... How is it possible a mother does not care for this wonderful gift God had just sent her.

Back to the beginning of my story... I was driving code 3 when this semi-trailer truck forced me off the highway... I was suddenly driving high speed on dirt... but someone up there was watching over us and I rapidly got back control of the ambulance and on to the highway again.

Kept going North and 35 minutes later we arrived to the Hospital... the baby made it... he was immediately treated, cleaned and put into an incubator... but his trip does not end there... he was being prepared to be taken to Ensenada by another ambulance, where the fully equipped hospitals are and he could received the attention he required... our best sentiments and prays are with this wonderful baby.

A close call for the Desert Hawks this day...

Antonio M.

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by BajaCactus]

IMG-20140109-00710.jpg - 30kB

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 02:51 PM

Wow... Thank you BajaCactus/ Desert Hawks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DocRey
Nomad

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 03:07 PM

Antonio in my book you are amazing. I'm a veteran (34 yrs.), firefighter/paramedic in Los Angeles and probably delivered a couple hundred babies in just about every situation ( Good, bad & very ugly ). We have the most modern equiptment, supplies & vehicles a metropolitan city can have.
You my friend are to be applauded for your knowledge, skill & most of all empathy for your patients. And from prior posts, your community in general. My hats off to you & your staff.
Just my dos centavos.:)
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 04:23 PM

I sent Antonio $100 USD yesterday.

He immediately e mailed a thank you and said the money would be used to fill their oxygen tank today.

After reading this - I feel like sending him another $100.

I am not well off, but whoa!!!!
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-12-2014 at 04:37 PM

I can vouch for how helpful and kind Antonio and his wife are.

A few years I broke a rear differential near the backcountry of Mission Santa Maria and limped into into Antonio's Baja Cactus motel after my (new) friends towed me part way out and then drove out to a parts store and brought back steering parts.

Antonio scoured Tijuana for the differential parts I needed, offered me free rooms at the motel, and his future wife (Isela) was the efficient local contact between us. He got a friend with a shipping company to deliver the parts to El Rosario and sent me to his local mechanic to have the ring and pinion installed.

Kodos to a great couple.
Neal Johns

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 09:04 PM

Antonio, I am still working on getting your ambulance gurneys. I have a lead on some high powered VHF Radios that may be available. In a previous post, I believe you had requested 3 mobile radios, would you want one of them set up as a base station and do you want any hand held radios for your staff? If you can ask around about what frequencies are used in your area, I will have the radios programed and ready to go when they get there. These radios were used in the fire service stateside and most of them can be programed with marine and/or Ham frequencies. Also, if you can ask around if the radio frequencies are narrow or wide band, it would be helpful in our programing. With some of the discussion on Repeaters, I may be able to get one if you have a good place to utilize it. JH
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 11:38 PM

See this post on Talk Baja, featuring an article on Antonio and Desert Hawks with his photo:

http://talkbaja.com/showthread.php?t=7819

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 10:25 AM

For cheap handheld radios check this out. If they work for Antonio I'm willing to buy a few. Of course he needs a repeater up high for best results.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71877
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
For cheap handheld radios check this out. If they work for Antonio I'm willing to buy a few. Of course he needs a repeater up high for best results.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71877

Maybe Mexitron and friends can put one on top of Matomi Mountain? http://vivabaja.com/mexitron or San Juan de Dios mountain maybe better for reaching El Rosario?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 12:03 PM

TW

They are not going to have the range unless there is a repeater they can use.

We use ours in conjunction with a repeater if one is available through someone we know and/or a higher powered unit in the truck.

ralph
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 01:16 PM

How feasible is a remote repeater -- financial wise?

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 01:23 PM

Maybe a solar panel(s) and a deep cycle battery on one of the mountain tops??

Although it would be nice if they could directly communicate with the police/fire/hospital via the radio

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 03:31 PM

Sadly, solar panels and batteries are like leaving peanut butter cookies in a mouse factory. Not all folks are Boy Scouts. A repeater would have to be housed in a theft resistant steel box, the panel way the hell up out-of-climbing-reach and the site would need cyclone fence with concertina wire. Hate to play the part of realist on this issue...

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 04:07 PM

ideal if there was a ranch where it could be placed. We use the one in Sierra San Francisco sometimes
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 06:37 PM

What about an install on an existing microwave tower??

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
Sadly, solar panels and batteries are like leaving peanut butter cookies in a mouse factory. Not all folks are Boy Scouts. A repeater would have to be housed in a theft resistant steel box, the panel way the hell up out-of-climbing-reach and the site would need cyclone fence with concertina wire. Hate to play the part of realist on this issue...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2014 at 06:43 PM

There are no microwave towers north of Guerrero Negro... are there? That system was limited to the southern territory/ state. A fiber-optic cable was installed along Hwy. 1 in Baja (Norte) several years ago...

DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2014 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Thank you Antonio. I will be putting those phone numbers in my phone in case of emergency and will make a donation soon. That stretch of highway is remote. Thanks for making a difference!!

Thanks I have also put in my phone and my sat-phone
Alan From San Diego
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2014 at 09:25 PM

It would also be nice if everyone (everyone that can) would make a donation. You never know when you are going to need this service....as can be seen by the latest accident.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-9-2014 at 09:37 PM
Baja medic

Hola,,,, Please U2U me with a LL... Lets gets some info going about Radio TX or micro and SAT ....K&T
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-10-2014 at 01:48 PM

Bump--------------this is an excellent post. Thanks, and Bravo, Cactus.

Barry
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.