Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: JCR Honda not racing SCORE Baja races in 2014
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:46 PM

Welcome to Baja Nomad, and thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaDQ

Mood: Sunny

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 01:26 PM

Thanks David!

After going to the GNCC website for an education, I see they are an East of the Mississippi series started by Davey Coombs (RIP). That said, other than EnduroCross, will JCR be racing anywhere in the West or the dez?

[Edited on 1-14-2014 by BajaDQ]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 05:24 PM

I just heard from a second source that Kawasaki has pulled out and KTM is a maybe.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 05:45 PM

KTM should stay in and guarantee themselves a victory.

Man this is such a let down.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 06:12 PM

The cascade continues, is SCORE to become a 4 wheeled only series?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 08:53 PM

The word I'm hearing that companies like Red Bull will sponsor a team so a lot of the really good riders may still be racing just not with factory bike backing. Probably use Baja Pits and Mag 7 for most pits. I really think this is an opportunity for KTM to win a few SCORE races if they stay with it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 07:56 AM

Some where in my stuff in the US, there lurks a Husky Desertmaster....maybe its time for a geezer class? Bought it from Malcolm..

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 10:44 AM

There is a class 60. Malcom Smith and Bill Nichols have been racing in it. Usually only 1 or 2 teams in it so you are assured of a 1st or 2nd place if you finish in time.

Here is a nice piece on JCR and the GNCC deal.

http://jcrhonda.com/story/all/270
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The cascade continues, is SCORE to become a 4 wheeled only series?
just the way roger would like it, keep those pesky motorcycles off his course! screw em, theres plenty of other places to race :yes:
BajaDQ

Mood: Sunny

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 02:04 PM
From Dirt Rider...

"The official JCR press release provided no real explanation, but theories include SCORE doubling the number of events in the series (stretching some race team budgets beyond the breaking point, apparently) and lack of insurance.

THR Motorsports/Monster Energy/Precision Concepts Kawasaki’s effort quickly followed suit with the FMF/Bonanza Plumbing KTM team yet to make an announcement one way or the other."

Read more: http://www.dirtrider.com/features/jcr-pulls-out-of-baja-bell...
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Some where in my stuff in the US, there lurks a Husky Desertmaster....maybe its time for a geezer class? Bought it from Malcolm..

Oh Lord! I had one of those back in the day and it tried to kill me! If you can still ride one of those you are a better geezer than me.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 04:37 PM

Funny! I had lunch with Malcolm last year at Sharis joint in Ascuncion, we agreed that I was never that fast back in the day, and now, at my age and weight I would likely die....We laughed a lot....I had some pics I took of Malcolm at the ISDT in Austria which I sent him..dont know if they made his book...What a great man.....

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Off Road racing began with a run what you brung theology and take any road to get to La Paz as long as you stop at the checkpoints (which usually limited you to one road in the old Baja California)! That was motorbikes, Jeeps, Broncos, trucks and passenger cars... 1967...

Why is there not more money for the two wheeled classes to compete for in SCORE, but not other organizations?

Because no one can figure out how to charge for spectator"s
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 10:10 AM

Good answer... and why Mickey Thompson started SCORE (for Riverside and Stadium events). It is only because of the mess BSC made when they replaced NORRA for the '73 1000 and '74 500 that got SCORE involved in long course/ desert racing... and the name changed from Short Course Off Road Events to Sanctioning Committee for Off Road Events.

SCORE did such a great job with their '74 Baja Internacional, Mexico gave them a contract Mickey couldn't refuse.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.