Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: approved list of imports
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 08:27 AM

LOL!!! Sell any leftover, unopened Costco food to gringos living down there! It will be gone in a jif!
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 08:41 AM

Last year it was an avocado. He let me scoop it out, skin and seed is not allowed. Next trip they found an apple we forgot to eat on the drive. We were in big trouble. They found a couple eggs too, good thing they were hard boiled. Have you ever seen them spin test your eggs to see if they are raw or cooked? Serious stuff here. So now I'm on a third strike watch. One more violation and I get a $300.00 ticket. So now we bring back nothing, not even liquor. I've found when you have nothing and declare nothing, you don't end up in secondary.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
This is the list the border guards used to hand out... it is about 10 years old, but is probably still the same? However, the new batch of border guards may not know them! I declared my limes (permitted), but the 'new' officer said since limes are like oranges (LOL) he sent me to secondary (where after 15 min. wait, the ag agent laughed and sent me on my way). Now, I don't bring any food back.

[Edited on 1-18-2014 by David K]

Anyone have a similar list of prohibited items for bringing into Mexico? In particular are you prohibited from bringing in plants, potting soil, fertilizer, etc?

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
This is the list the border guards used to hand out... it is about 10 years old, but is probably still the same? However, the new batch of border guards may not know them! I declared my limes (permitted), but the 'new' officer said since limes are like oranges (LOL) he sent me to secondary (where after 15 min. wait, the ag agent laughed and sent me on my way). Now, I don't bring any food back.

Anyone have a similar list of prohibited items for bringing into Mexico? In particular are you prohibited from bringing in plants, potting soil, fertilizer, etc?

That's what I have asked for Bob... egl gave a web site and in it I found the page for Mexico: Here is the Mexico link off that government site from El Gato Loco: https://epermits.aphis.usda.gov/manual/index.cfm?NEW=1&R...

I am still hoping someone has that single sheet list but a new one.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 11:55 AM

I reiterate, you can bring back all the dead fish you like.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
can somebody point me to the list of approved fruits, veggies and meats that can be brought back from Mexico?

There's a comprehensive list of all permitted foods (updated Nov 2013) at:
bringing food into the US

For much of the fruit and veg they just refer you to the FAVIR system mentioned above, here's the
list for Mexico. Clicking on each link will tell you if an import permit is needed for that item.

Rob

[Edited on 2014-1-19 by Riom]
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 08:19 PM

Well, Terry just do as I do and give it to the cleaning lady that way it gets used and gone. I just do not want to take any chance of losing my Sentri. Thus, I check and double check to make sure my wife/navigator that travels with me hasn't packed anything that can cause me to lose it! She loves fruit and hates to throw it away. She tries to tell me about the list but I tell her a dang banana is not worth my card. Usually, our refrigerator is full even when we try to use it up before our departing day from Las Gaviotas, but our cleaning lady has never complained especially since I leave an empty Styrofoam chest for you keepers. LOL See you in June and Nomads if you ever want a nice place to rent with great views then Terry28 has just what your mind imagined. Take Care & Travel Safe-----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.