BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Mountain Lions on the road to Tecate, danger or not?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 12:20 PM
Dogs and Lions

Unless you might happen to have a Rhodesian Ridgeback:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
You should always take your dog along on a hike in mountain lion territory. They will probably spot the cat long before you will and the cat would much prefer eating the dog than you....

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 12:27 PM

Do they call them "Zimbabwe" Ridgebacks now?:?::?:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I don't have any intention of bothering a mountain lion, but I know they do attack so what do you do then if you are minding your own business?

Throw some of these on the ground and the Cat will forget about you.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 12:31 PM
No dog while fishing

My first trip to Alasks got the lowdown about going fishing with your dog..A NO NO...dog smells bear,, goeS AFTER BEAR ,,,, ,THEN BRINGS peeED OFF BEAR BACK TO YOU...NOT A GOOD DAY FISHING...
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 12:32 PM

Nope

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Do they call them "Zimbabwe" Ridgebacks now?:?::?:

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I was driving north on the road to Tecate one evening, and a huge wingspan swooped down and then obstructed my view. In my naivete, I mentioned to my sister that it was maybe a bat but she said it was probably a hawk. The wings seemed translucent and black but for a moment and then flew away. Driving south on the same road one day, I saw a lone large cow in the ravine by the road almost on the road, and then noticed on another trip a good sized young mountain lion running through the brush around Zaragoza near Vallecitos. I am wondering if they are a danger while hiking. The area is nice, but this was something I wouldn't want to meet while walking. Are there any precautions or protection you can take against them? Guns aren't legal in Mexico.

EDIT!!! I screwed up on placement. Below is me, Janene's comments are above.

I have not thought about or researched this in years so forgive me if I'm off on some facts.

Yes, they certainly can be a danger to hikers. There have been few deaths, the last I'm aware of was a hiker on the Capistrano road in So. Orange or No. San Diego county.

You can pretty well take all of the bones of a full grown cat and fit them in a shoebox. They are all muscle and sinew.

A full grown male locally will come in at about 140 pounds and will be able to leap 20 feet from a sitting position. They do have a heavy, long-lasting scent so dogs are very aware if they cross a trail.

Before the influx of people I was a bounty hunter/trapper in the mountains east of San Diego and would see the large cats commonly at a distance. I got to know the areas they preferred and which cats were where.

The problem of cat/human kills will increase as we take more of their food source away. Their preferred food is deer and as we take more and more venado from the areas where these magnificent animals live and roam they are forced to substitute other food sources and then of course we go kill them as predators and we will ultimately finish them off in this are of SoCal and NoBaja.

They will immediately eat the heart of the prey animal and initial identification of the killed hiker's heart being eaten before the cat was frightened away was later substantiated.

Hiking alone can be a problem and as mentioned you will probably be unaware of the animal until it is on your back to break your neck for the kill.

Again I've not read about this recently so can be off on a few things but try googling dept of fish and wildlife, California, and ask about the big cats.

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by Cisco]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Hiking alone can be a problem and as mentioned you will probably be unaware of the animal until it is on your back to break your neck for the kill.

perhaps when hiking alone you should wear chainmail. also may help in protection from sharks when surfing (but be sure to wear some extra buoyancy aid) :lol:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 01:18 PM

Here's the man that knows what he is talking about.....motoged.
The spray is about 18 to 20 feet.

If you dont have this item......walk backwards, lift your shirt as high as you can above your head....and make a lot of noise. We use wasp spray in Baja as well as in the 395 corridor range.

Works great too on bad guys..........the spray that is!

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I believe that hornet/wasp spray is superior to bear spray (Capsicum) as it has a longer and steadier spray stream that is easier to control/direct.

Bear spray can blow back and incapacitate the human more than the wild critter/pendejo.

It is legal and less expensive.

My $2.00 MP

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Here's the man that knows what he is talking about.....motoged.
The spray is about 18 to 20 feet.

If you dont have this item......walk backwards, left your shirt as high as you can about your head....and make a lot of noise. We use wasp spray in Baja as well as in the 395 corridor range.

Works great too on bad guys..........the spray that is!

Quote:
I believe that hornet/wasp spray is superior to bear spray (Capsicum) as it has a longer and steadier spray stream that is easier to control/direct.

Bear spray can blow back and incapacitate the human more than the wild critter/pendejo.

My $2.00 MP

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by mcfez]

I use wasp - hornet spray often here in California to get rid of nests under the eaves of my house. It splashes and gets all over me without any adverse effects?

I have used self defense pepper spray for one tenth of a second indoors to see if it worked and we had to evacuate the building from the extreme choking and eye burning. Maybe hornet spray is so environmentally safe it has no effect other than soaking the nests?

Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 01:38 PM

When hiking solo, I have a tall backpack that partially obscures my neck. Maybe I should add something like this, as it seems to help with tigers.

[Edited on 1-22-2014 by Frigatebird]

tiger mask.jpg - 47kB

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Here's their preferred meal when there is no goat available. :lol:

[Edited on 1-21-2014 by LancairDriver]

True. And, we are larger and more defenseless.

As we humans move farther and farther inland and the complications of movement these animals have between SoCal and NoBaja increase (Homeland Security patrols, fencing) they are being cut off from their preferred food supply and the food supply, venado, are decreasing with our predation and occupation of their traditional browsing areas.

Unfortunately, as with anchovies, sardines, decreasing plankton levels in the Ocean's basic food chain we humans are taking it all and the larger animals that depend on the food chain are suffering.

We are seven billion top of the food chain consumers at this time and growing at a rate of a billion more each decade (each day 250,000 people more are born than die). We are destroying or using it all, never underestimate the value of the exponent, we will continue reproducing exponentially until there is nothing left.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

In all my years in the woods as a Ranger I NEVER saw a Mt. Lion except for a brief second I saw one
Attacks do occur, but extremely rare.

With you on that, I can't imagine the odds of being attacked
by a Mtn Lion, wouldn't even make the list of dangers, hyperthermia, getting lost, too many Pacificos, etc.
However I can remember a Mtn Bicycle guy taken here
in Orange, Co., 15 yrs ago., and a jogger by Auburn
east of Sacramento
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 01:52 PM
Wasp Spray????

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/wasp-spray-substitue-pepper-spray...

I'll stick with pepper spray and a stick

Quote:

My $2.00 MP

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers

I have used self defense pepper spray for one tenth of a second indoors to see if it worked ...

That's almost as bad as this gent examining his gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtkapY3ZfD4
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Here's their preferred meal when there is no goat available. :lol:

True. And, we are larger and more defenseless.

As we humans move farther and farther inland and the complications of movement these animals have between SoCal and NoBaja increase (Homeland Security patrols, fencing) they are being cut off from their preferred food supply and the food supply, venado, are decreasing with our predation and occupation of their traditional browsing areas.

Unfortunately, as with anchovies, sardines, decreasing plankton levels in the Ocean's basic food chain we humans are taking it all and the larger animals that depend on the food chain are suffering.

We are seven billion top of the food chain consumers at this time and growing at a rate of a billion more each decade (each day 250,000 people more are born than die). We are destroying or using it all, never underestimate the value of the exponent, we will continue reproducing exponentially until there is nothing left.

Think Easter Island, or the Southwest Indians (the ancient one's)--------there is the evidence of this phenomena for all to see, but nothing has truly been "proven" yet.. But it is worth considering, seriously!!!

Barry
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:12 PM

Quote:

In all my years in the woods as a Ranger I NEVER saw a Mt. Lion except for a brief second I saw one crossing the highway in southern Oregon a few years ago at twilight.

Attacks do occur, but extremely rare.

Barry

So very true Barry, they don't want to be seen but there was a great population of them in SoCal/NoBaja many years ago.

Attacks were rare as they had food supply then, they don't want humans. Now it's different. Today there are not as many cats or food supply and if there is no food or an animal is sick or injured humans are available and defenseless.

Nothing to freak about as attacks are very rare even now but I would certainly exercise caution particularly in remote areas where there are still substantial animals. Camp Pendelton comes to mind as a protected area with food source.

Rather like deer season in San Diego County. It has gotten to the point where at the first gunshot every deer in the county is headed for Indian or private land where there is no hunting allowed.

When young I shot my first deer in Murphy Canyon across from where the Wal-Mart is now, less than a mile from Qualcomm Stadium. Now there are lotteries to see who gets a deer hunting permit to be allowed to shoot.

Think I will research this, I'm curious now. Are the cat's on CA's endangered list?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:23 PM
San Marcos area

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Possible-Mountain-Lion...

Beware.....they are out there watching and waiting...and they are hungry!!!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:24 PM

Not sure about "endangered", but the big cats are on the increase in CA (and elsewhere) due to measures to protect them (from us). There use to be Griz (etc.) all over the Southwest USA and northern Mexico, and they were extremely hazardous to man and beast back before 1840, or so, and were greatly feared, with good reason.. I am torn on this subject-------man and the large predators are NOT known to get along. Both bears and big-cats are dangerous to man and beast, with bears being a downright nuisance, in my book, especially in the Sierra Nevada Mts...where protected.

Barry
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Not sure about "endangered", but the big cats are on the increase in CA (and elsewhere) due to measures to protect them (from us). There use to be Griz (etc.) all over the Southwest USA and northern Mexico, and they were extremely hazardous to man and beast back before 1840, or so, and were greatly feared, with good reason.. I am torn on this subject-------man and the large predators are NOT known to get along. Both bears and big-cats are dangerous to man and beast, with bears being a downright nuisance, in my book, especially in the Sierra Nevada Mts...where protected.

Barry

animal attacks are so rare -- let the animals be!
sharks, bees, snakes, bears, cats,... they are all a risk - just leave them alone. is an acceptable loss if we loose a minuscule number of human victims each year.

if you want to wipe out critters to stop a minuscule handful of deaths, your efforts would be better focused on bigger killers like handguns or malaria. get your priorities straight!
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 1-21-2014 at 02:38 PM

I wish I could get my hands on a friend's picture he took

Him and his son went to the Kootenays for an elk hunt and were succesful bagging
2 nice bulls

Back at camp with the meat dressed and hanging it was time for a snapshot

Maybe ten years later my buddy was looking at old photos

Guess what was in the tree limb the meat was hanging form watching the whole
thing go down

YEP...A beautiful cat just waiting to get to their favorite...The guts

You don't know they are there unless they get careless or they want you to know

sold out and got out !!!
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.