BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: What is most dangerous?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 05:11 PM

Saw a biker as I topped a rise outside of Guerrero Negro Monday. I knew instantly he must have been a "Star Trek" fan...

He camouflaged himself and his bike + panniers so well he damned near achieved invisibility of a Klingon Cloaking Device.

This is cool? Black bike, dark gray pants and hoodie. Drk gray helmet. No reflectors, no pennant? No mirrors and positively...........no.........common sense.

One itty-bitty mistake, he rides my fender, and I will get to know the ministerio publico better than I had ever thought I could.

Yeah some cyclist are smart wearing fluorescent vests and flying a fluorescent pennant.

But the first one, the chameleon is either type A or Type B

a) STUPID

b) ARROGANT

There is no "c)"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
As a bicyclist, the scariest thing on mexican roads is nomad bike haters. Seems like every other nationality respects bikes, and for some reason some gringos got this illogical anger toward bikes.

slow down
share the road
or stay home

No such thing (I would bet)... Nomads hate death, injury, ruining ones vacation because of stupid or dangerous and selfish acts that also puts others at risk.

Bikes in Baja are cool WHERE IT IS SAFE... which is all roads with a paved shoulder that allows a bike to stay out of the vehicle portion of the highway. Also all dirt roads are cool for bikes anytime... except maybe during a SCORE or Mexican run Off Road race!?

So, the places where it isn't safe or sane to ride a bike would be south of Km. 0, San Quintin, except where they have widened the 1973 highway, and any other highways under 20 feet wide that has blind curves.

Here is when I calmly passed by a bicycling family on Hwy. 1 north of Punta Prieta... no problem, I didn't run them off the road. I am happy I didn't come upon them in the hilly section with no room to pass, however. Photo taken by Baja Angel, October, 2005 on our way to visit with Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville...

A nice visit...

There is just no shoulder on a lot of Hwy. 1 in the center of the peninsula...

Maybe this fellow lost his life on this curve because he had to miss hitting some eco-tourists on bikes?...

So, no we don't hate bikes... we even have bikes ourselves... We are just mature enough to no risk other life over our brief wants or wild ideas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So, no we don't hate bikes... we even have bikes ourselves... We are just mature enough to no risk other life over our brief wants or wild ideas.

Thanks for remembering Hector. I've always wondered his story and never stop to check out his shrine. 22 y.o. and his truck pieces tell his story.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 06:32 PM

Quote:

Bikes in Baja are cool WHERE IT IS SAFE... which is all roads with a paved shoulder that allows a bike to stay out of the vehicle portion of the highway.

Dk: you were not paying attention in traffic school. Bikes are legal vehicles with right to use the roads. :light:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 06:34 PM

My point exactly, debris is accidental. Pedal pushers are a decision to put others at risk. They damned near killed me this winter, i'll take the risk of flotsam.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Bikes in Baja are cool WHERE IT IS SAFE... which is all roads with a paved shoulder that allows a bike to stay out of the vehicle portion of the highway.

Dk: you were not paying attention in traffic school. Bikes are legal vehicles with right to use the roads. :light:

You see, this is where you get confused... BAJA CALIFORNIA is NOT in the United States.

1973's Mexico Highway 1 was NOT constructed with Bicycle use at all in mind. Sorry, that is just the way it was. We (who are old enough to remember those years) are somewhat amazed that the widening to include a safe bike riding portion has taken nearly 40 years to begin, and still is a long way from being complete. The Mexican government said the 19 ft. wide, shoulderless construction was the only way to expedite the completion and they would "soon" be widening that 300 mile mid section... :lol: I know this is weird for you who put so much faith in a federal government... that we all were lied to... :o

[Edited on 3-8-2014 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 06:57 PM

Goathead's obviously a bike rider. I'm obviously not. Hope we don't meet on the highway. The 'right' to ride does not outweigh common BLEEPING sense.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2014 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Goathead's obviously a bike rider. I'm obviously not. Hope we don't meet on the highway. The 'right' to ride does not outweigh common BLEEPING sense.

I'm all for cyclists who ride as safely as possible and people with enough common sense to tie their loads down so they stay put!
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 3-8-2014 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
As a bicyclist, the scariest thing on mexican roads is nomad bike haters. Seems like every other nationality respects bikes, and for some reason some gringos got this illogical anger toward bikes.

slow down
share the road
or stay home

Also a bicyclist. Well said Goat.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 11:04 PM

Bicyclist do indeed the the same right of the road. Do I like it. Hell no.

Perhaps some of us with the fat wide trucks can switch over to VW bugs that are narrower.....would be a good solution :o

The only fear that I have of The Baja is driving the Mex 1 and having to deal with the Bicyclist. Can't believe the last guy I passed wasn't hit.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 10:50 AM

Just yesterday a cooler lid came flying at us from the back of a pickup south of Loreto. We were very happy that the tall fridge standing upright and unsecured stayed put!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 11:11 AM

David K,
I don't know why Hector killed himself driving....but it is a bit creepy to speculate his death was due to a bicyclist....using his name in vain kinda thing...

I agree that some bicyclists have put themselves and some of us at risk....and I curse them at times ....let's just let Hector RIP and not use him here.

Don't believe everything you think....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-10-2014 at 11:30 AM

While I have encountered many, many bicyclists on Baja 1 since it opened, I've never once had any serious conflict with them. However, I am a little concerned about their judgment when I see a baby trailer.

On the other hand, on this 'What is the most dangerous?' subject...I've had quite a few major accidents with things falling off vehicles on the road.

- A steel beam fell off a poorly-loaded semi on a California freeway (I-5) right in front of me... and ruined all 6 tires of my motorhome. Cost of wrecker and everything to get going again was $1800.

And I've come to the conclusion my windshields are cursed. Over the years: a sugar beet in MN, a mule deer in Colorado, a mallard greenhead in ND, several roadkill buzzards in Baja, etc, etc.....sometimes it seems that windshield is a magnet!

The splat on the gas tank shown in this photo is all that's left of a buzzard hit by Santispac. Note: Over-eating the road-kill will over-load you when it's time to get airborne.

But...so far... no accidents with the Baja Bikers and I truly hope that trend continues.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 12:39 PM
SELF EXPLANATORY

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 05:04 PM

The scariest thing I 've seen is 7 gas tanker truck drivers, sitting with their rigs out front down the road from the gas terminal at the beach east of La Paz drinking Pacificos at 9am before they picked up their gas load
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
David K,
I don't know why Hector killed himself driving....but it is a bit creepy to speculate his death was due to a bicyclist....using his name in vain kinda thing...

I agree that some bicyclists have put themselves and some of us at risk....and I curse them at times ....let's just let Hector RIP and not use him here.

Ged, are you saying Hector was suicidal? That is not nice to say, is it? I said it could have been a bicycle in his lane as he was making that curve that forced him off the road as opposed to hitting it or a car in the other lane. It could have been a cow... does anyone know?

I did take the time to pull off the highway where it is safe, not near that curve, and hike to the monument to honor Hector by making the monument permanent in photos.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 08:22 PM
Dangerous

When we lived in Missouri we lived in the Middle of a Huge Amish Community. I heard the same Stupid arguments almost word for word over and over except it was Horses Verses Cars.
Did it change anything, Maybe, If anything it made people more aware of the Danger. :light::light:
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 11:33 PM

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 12:02 AM

The most dangerous thing in baja is an intolerant baja nomad.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2014 at 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R

LOL very funny David... :lol:

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.