BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 5/16 ? fire behind Mulege?
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 10:06 AM

Where the fire got hot enough to cook the vertical capillaries taking water/nutrients to the fronds the trees will be dead. Where it just scorched the outside but didn't get hot inside, tree will live. Mostly it looks like this fire got plenty hot.
Here is a news story that says 3 houses destroyed:

fire in Mulege news link
Youtube video shot from the Mission, shows maybe a kilometer long stretch on fire:
video from the Mission

[Edited on 5-17-2014 by EngineerMike]

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 11:54 AM

Mulege only has three seasons: Flood, Fire & Fishing. The first two don't come every year, and only last a day or so.
The rest of the time, we clean up, fish & kill a few beers.

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Mulege only has three seasons: Flood, Fire & Fishing. The first two don't come every year, and only last a day or so.
The rest of the time, we clean up, fish & kill a few beers.

Sounds like a plan, a few more beers.. , Thanks for the links & anybody know how it started
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 01:57 PM

Oh no, this is so tragic...Mulegena, I hope your place is safe and all our other Mulege amigos.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
EngineerMike
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 02:18 PM

Pretty sure no Gringos lost anything in this fire, only aboriginal Muleginos, and not too many of those have direct losses. There is a lower strip of houses along the north river bank and east of the big bridge; those are the families whose stuff & maybe house got singed (between the old Camarena & old paint store location & down to the river, for those familiar).

West of the bridge, folks in the vado mostly moved out to Nuevo Mulege (south and across the Hwy from the Pemex and adjacent to the new high school) when the govt offered the new houses. Fire burned west of the old & now abandoned high school at least to the dirt soccer field from descriptions I've heard.

Looks like the conduit for the fire was the lush growth of bamboo along the river that came up w/a vengeance after the last 2 floods. So thick rats would have a tough time getting thru. I'm going to speak to the Delegado about the maintenance folks keeping that down in lieu of sweeping streets by hand. We're heading down late July for annual uniform buying trip for the Scholarship Program, so won't be in town before that. If somebody else sees him, maybe pass along the suggestion. There's strength in numbers.

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 02:19 PM

Lisa was up hill aways from the fire. It started in a vacant lot source unknown. Palm trunks PoP when hot, propane tanks kaBooM when hot, many pops, not so many kabooms. It moved so rapidly, maybe the palms will survive? I was t Jorge Yees when it started and with in 30 minutes it was at the bridge, and the flames were above the bridge. The fire dept and many volunteers protected the town buildings, thankfully. Everyone is relieved that the town was spared. It scorched the backside of buildings from La Casita to th e bridge.
All is back to normal today i will post pics later tonight of the ` day after`.

On edit... rumors not confirmed... one gringa residence destroyed, 3 Mexican residence destroyed. People still living in the palm area were evacuated. Dead palm branches were the major fuel as well as reeds, similar to bambo.
The pictures make it look much worse than the actual damage. Many people were treated for injuries, but these were mostly minor. This was not a disaster, but it could have been. Mulege is strong and thankful that it was not destroyed.

[Edited on 5-17-2014 by willyAirstream]

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 02:41 PM

I'm so thankful that the Town/homes in downtown Mulege did not catch fire! Has that ever happened? We have fires in our palm groves almost every year here in Todos Santos area. Not a good area to live in. Oh yeah, I've got a Palapa palm roof!? Good luck to everyone. Tio
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 04:26 PM

The air was filled with acrid smoke last night throughout the whole of town, suffocating the pueblo central by the river- the area of the fire, where the bomberos stayed throughout the night to manage the still-smouldering stumps of palm.

Like the plague that beset Egypt, the smoke crawled down-river out the mouth where it meets the Sea of Cortez. Heavy and insidious, it obscured the river like a thick impenetrable layer of fog; the silver shimmer of the still-full moon was hidden from view. The whole of the town, even we on the hill at the mouth of the river, took to its slumber with difficulty due to the psychic shock of what took place yesterday, the terror in the moment and the horror at the thoughts of what could have been tragedy beyond measure had the fire strayed far from the river's edges. Our noses and lungs discomforted by the heavy lingering smoke, we succumbed to the greater need of rest.

We awakened to a blue sky this morning, but with a heaviness of spirit that comes with the knowledge that a change has come, unwelcome of course, but with the outlook of recovery set squarely.

The palms are not indigenous to here, were planted by the Friars who established the mission system, I believe. They found fresh water here in Mulege, a genuine oasis in the desert, and it was a hospitable place to bring these palms. Most of the orchards should recover and the charm and green, exotic beauty that is Mulege will endure.

Today, the town is still subdued but life is continuing normally. The American lady who, with her dogs, fled her home is safe and cared for by friends. I'm unable to report or confirm the loss of any locals' houses. Las Casitas Hotel and Restaurant did not lose its roof and is open. The fire never left the palm orchards; it did not come into town.

Yes, Engineer Mike, I've observed the indigenous carisso bamboo chocking the river's edge for years. It, along with the undergrowth in the palm forests should be managed. Many of the palms are still standing and may recover. Everyone in Mulege should regularly clean the "beards" off their palm trees.

Today there are a few contingent teams of bomberos in the palm orchards west of town. They are there now with pick and shovel and rake to further manage the clean-up. Beautiful job, Bomberos, thank you!

The people here in Mulege are resilient, a fact that's been proven by the many assaults of nature through the years and how everyone musters on; the very weather and dessert terrain here tests that on a daily basis. As I've said before Baja ain't for the faint of heart.

The Mexicans who call the peninsula home recognize that fact and refer to themselves as "Cholleros/People of the Cactus".

There's been no one in Mulege, I believe, who has not been touched by this tragedy, but we'll recover from this as we have from the floods. Why? We've no other option.

Mulege is definitely not beat, folks-- not by a long, long ways.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 06:39 PM

Mulegena, thank you for saying what needed to be said about this fire. Looking at the pictures, one must see that it was a frightening, emotional event for those in and near the path. Had the wind kicked up it could have been tragic. Loss of four homes and bodily injury to some folks is serious stuff, but it is good that it wasn't worse than it was. A loss of security and innocence has to follow an event like this. It is an invasoin to home, not easily cast off. My thoughts are with all Mulegenos today, I hope your sweet town recovers well.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 06:41 PM

thank you for your thoughtful report Maria and others...very very interesting comment about the palms not being indigenous that has made me ponder the idea. Palms are beautiful but perhaps not prudent in this climate. Pruning sounds wise as well with the carrizo to avoid future disaster.

I am glad you are all unscathed and once again Mulege will rise!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 08:06 PM

photo by Raffita

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-17-2014 at 08:36 PM
Palms

I have always heard those palms are protected by the Mexican Government and it's a very serious offence if they are messed with or altered in any way.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 04:40 AM

Don't think so....

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 08:39 AM

Not necessarily protected, but who is going to foot the bill to prune and take care of thousands of trees?

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Not necessarily protected, but who is going to foot the bill to prune and take care of thousands of trees?

Hey that is just the kind of volunteer work I will be lookin for when I get down there, I run a landscaping tree service up here and when my casa sells I am Baja bound, maybe I can find a safe place to store some tools down there. that is if there is no law against tree maintenance, I will work for cold cerveza's and shrimps also:lol:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador

Mother nature?

Bob Durrell
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 10:21 AM

Maybee , several years ago I was interested in a lot along the south side of the river and was told it was unbuildable because you couldn't cut any of the palms that would interfere with your plan.
jojomammoth

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 12:12 PM

:(......this is so sad......Russ....hope it is contained and everyone is safe and all the animals too.....
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 01:01 PM
Another fire

DAMMITTT

It's flamed up again.
http://www.radarpolitico.com.mx/2014/05/18/nuevamente-se-reg...

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
DAMMITTT

It's flamed up again.
http://www.radarpolitico.com.mx/2014/05/18/nuevamente-tse-re...

Lisa Marie,
Is this one further up canyon toward Ray's or where,,, The pic is hard to tell..
What a rotten deal this year... Pray for no major water events this summer....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.