BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Who's got the earliest first hand Baja experience?
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
When I was 15 in 1952 my dad worked with a Mexican man who's brother was a TJ policeman and we were invited to a beach party at Rosarito that included roasting a whole steer.

My dads job was to bring down a trailer load of firewood and my mother and sister decided to sleep in the trailer under a tarp instead of on the beach. During the night the were awakened by several Mexican men shaking the trailer and making comments in Spanish about them.

They both started screaming and the TJ policeman, who was sleeping in his car next to the trailer, woke up and shot one of them. Him and my dad put the body in the trailer and drove down the road where they threw it over the cliff.

To me it was just like the wild west in the movies.

We're cool though, Right Bob :wow:
1965, three years old with my cool parents in a 58 VW camper van.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-18-2014 at 11:44 PM

Went to TJ with my neighbors when I was about 12 or so (1965?). They were a large Mexican family and obviously knew their way around and had family there. Looking back it is pretty remarkable that my parents would let the neighbors take me to a foreign country to "have a good time" which as I recall everybody did. Ate tacos and "pepitas", bought fireworks, had a great time that I still remember (don't ask me what I had for breakfast).
Went back to TJ around 1969 with a friend that had ran a tree branch through his Jeep radiator. We dropped it off at a radiator shop and had a beer at the bar next door while they fixed it. I remember that the bill was $1.50 and we had to wait around while the proprietor's son went down the road to get us change for 2 bucks.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 12:17 AM

1981. Didn't make it back on my own until the late 90's.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 04:33 AM

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

YABUT..... travelling in a fallopian tube doesn't count. :tumble:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 05:41 AM

That's just YOUR opinion, Dude.....Actually was in the US Navy..every weekend in Baja...Made it as far as the Comondus in a 49 Mercury...

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 09:48 AM

My first trip probably included some puking. Its a bit fuzzy. My parents bought a house on the beach in 1960 when I was 2. My dad is 89 and his father would take him fishing to La Mision and Salisipudes when he was just a boy and he continued to travel down for fishing, diving, surfing. Now he just goes down for the margaritas, golf and sunsets.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 10:02 AM
San Felipe

1953 on the beach in San Felipe,, which would be now Rubens Camp

I was 9 at the time,, my father was in the rear of the pix,

ken san fliepe 53.gif - 39kB
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 10:24 AM

Who's got the earliest Baja experience?

That's easy!

His name was

"Oog"

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 11:33 AM

And his wifes name?

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
And his wifes name?

Oooga (the inventor of the Model T horn?) :lol:

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
1953 on the beach in San Felipe,, which would be now Rubens Camp

I was 9 at the time,, my father was in the rear of the pix,

Back when taking of Tortuga was still legal?

Bob Durrell
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 11:48 AM

Sorry, I am too young to have the "first", but for me it was 1965, I was 10 and we went to San Felipe. My father and Uncle helped to build a small church there as my father worked for a fairly large materials supplier in San Jose, CA. The local contractors would keep my fathers "Mexico" stash well supplied with whatever was needed at the time, they were very generous in purchasing things on my dads list and then just handing it over for him to deliver and build with. For me, it was a great time with the local boys and one really special girl in town, her eyes and smile captured my heart for quite some time. The tide pools, fire works on the beach, a major sunburn and buying warm coke's from the bar in town still bring a smile to my face when I think about my time there. Watching the locals help my uncle launch his boat with an old army truck that had to go so far out to get enough water to float the boat off of the trailer was also quite a thrill. Bringing home my first tiny switchblade knife/letter opener, running through and exploring a small dirt street town with my new friends, being introduced to fish head soup and admiring the happy and generous people that had so little and yet had so much more than I. JH

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 12:08 PM

My first time was not so exciting, really. My family and I camped with some neighbors at Cantamar. We brought a sand rail down and had a great time in the dunes just south of there. I was 16.

On one of the sand rail expeditions w/o the parents, we bought beers (horrible, warm XXX beer in cans) from the family that controlled access to the dunes from the free road side. They were 15 cents. We drank em and drove around drunk in the dunes. Later, we met some girls who were also from SoCal and we did some necking at night in the dunes.

We also went to a lobster fisherman's house in the general area where Puerto Nuevo eventually grew into a big lobster to-do. I still remember that a complete meal of all the fried lobster you can eat, with beans, rice and tortillas was 5.00 US. Seems like we could never eat more than about two whole lobsters. I imagine the lobsters were much larger then but I also discovered that I could probably eat five times that if they are only steamed. Deep fried was delicious but overwhelming.

We sat out on a picnic table on the guys back porch and there was a fridge full of beers for sale, too. We were "allowed" a beer. Whoo-hoo, Mexico!! Where everyone comes to cut loose!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 12:10 PM

Uh-oh, pic size violation. Someone is going to hear about it. :lol:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 12:33 PM

1964 I was 6 yrs old and crammed into a pickup with a bunch of Girl Scouts (:biggrin: ) going to an orphanage in Ensenada. But didn't start really doing Baja until 1975.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 12:50 PM

Venturing south of El Rosario, before 1973 was pretty much a boundary point, or south of San Felipe / Puertecitos.

Looking back, not many of the streets in Ensenada were paved. A thin, badly poured ribbon of asphalt connected Ensenada to (?) Camalu?

If you spent time in Baja California Sur, the territory not the state, that's quite a few years ago.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Uh-oh, pic size violation. Someone is going to hear about it. :lol:

I still have not mastered that skill, but I am working on it. JH :spingrin:

[Edited on 5-19-2014 by bajamedic]
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 02:35 PM

first time as a brash young navy man looking for the famous "donkey show" in tijuana..that would be 1965...never found the show but found lots of other stuff...then returned in 1970 with a buddy hitchhiking...we ended up on the beach at punta banda, built a scrabbled together driftwood shelter and stayed 10 months...met tons of locals, drank their beer, smoked their pot, made out with their senoritas...overall just a wonderful chunk of time in my life.....and i just keep going back now 49 years later.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2014 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

YABUT..... travelling in a fallopian tube doesn't count. :tumble:

:lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.