Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: Desert Rat
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 07:31 PM

Fantastic news....gracias, Graham:smug::saint:

Good advice, gang, on the suggestions to "get on it" !

Don't believe everything you think....
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 08:33 PM

EXCELLENT!

So I have to take the for sale sign off the car? ;)

Thank you all for a heart.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 08:52 PM

All's well that ends well, Deno!!:tumble:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 09:05 PM

Sweet.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-22-2014 at 09:06 PM
McFez

Hola,,You should have replaced Jay lenno !! you have better replys...LOL :lol: Glad he is OK!!
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 07:27 AM

I came across Ron on the road to the observatory, near the museum. He had been lost and had not picked up water for days. much longer and he would have been in trouble. Did not make Picacho. I will be back home tonight and will send pics.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 09:15 AM

Baja Nomads are are wonderful group of folks when it comes to helping out in such situations !!! :saint:

What a small world: Graham, a true Baja legend, just happens to be in the area to find a Nomad in distress....:o ... who could have predicted such a "coincidence"?

Just a bit short of a miracle (a word I seldom use).

Just a year ago I put up a request to find a surfer whose mother was worried sick as she hadn't heard from him in a week (yep, real anxious mom :biggrin:) ) and two days later a fellow managing a development on the Pacific by Punta Conejo (northwest of La Paz) found the guy and told him to call home ....another success story:cool:

It's a bit heartwarming...

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 09:33 AM

....nice one...the beauty of mixing the internet with rugged beautiful baja!...glad all is okay,,,,,other than a very tired hiker!!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 09:36 AM

I wonder what Rat's plan is to get back to San Felipe? Hope he isn't planning on walking back.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
I came across Ron on the road to the observatory, near the museum. He had been lost and had not picked up water for days. much longer and he would have been in trouble. Did not make Picacho. I will be back home tonight and will send pics.

Thank you Graham!:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 11:50 AM

Boy, what a perfect example of how this board should and can work. It's impressive to say the least. Rat used good sense to let people know what his plan was and when time was up, Dino raised the red flags. Way to go guys. :yes:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 03:24 PM

Would love to take the credit.......
But I cannot. Abril of Campos Ocotillo is the real savor here. She manages the campos for us....and noted that the car was still in my driveway.

Wait til Rat gets the over due storage fee from me.

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
Boy, what a perfect example of how this board should and can work. It's impressive to say the least. Rat used good sense to let people know what his plan was and when time was up, Dino raised the red flags. Way to go guys. :yes:

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 07:54 PM

Here are the pics from the San Pedro Martir of Ron as we found him. I was with a party heading to the observatory for a tour when we saw a guy stepping onto the highway and flagging us down. He was desperate for water.... and to get a message to Deno or to Nomad that he was OK.

While we were re-hydrating him the workers pickup came by and we agreed that he should jump in and head for the park entrance where he could probably use their email.

Just over an hour later we returned to the park entrance hoping to pick him up and take him down to Rancho Meling to spend a night with us and we could take him north to the bus station in Ensenada for a bus to San Felipe.

I was surprised and disappointed he wasn't there.. or at Meling. But the park rangers said he had decided to go down with the pickup, and they alerted their search and rescue contacts that all was well.

Ron has clearly had a terrible ordeal coming up the canyon, trying to find a way up Picacho Diablo - he said to me that it was almost impossible without a guide - and then picking up the last of his water at the bottom of the canyon and climbing up to the plateau and wandering lost for it sounded like days before we met him on the road.

I wish he'd waited for us at the park entrance with the rangers. He needed a night in a motel and time to recover and regain his strength. I'm anxious to know that he made it by bus or hitching back to his vehicle. Ron is one heck of a tough hombre...

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 08:19 PM

starting from San Felipe, how did he end up at San Pedro Martir? That is a long walk/hike!
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 09:03 PM

Glad to hear everything worked out for you Ron.

bacquito
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 09:17 PM
Ya Know !!

Myself Left home around 12 yrs old>>and spent a lot of time time talking with retires....and learned Back then to get OUT THERE while you are able.....I heard SOOO many folks say that when they retire,,,they are gonna travel...IT DOSN"T work work that way !!! Travel while you have good health and you will stay a lot more healthy when you get out..OMG...caps are OFF !!! ....LOL...get a GRIP!!!
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 10:38 PM

Kudos to Abril tambien. A little good karma can go a long ways. :tumble:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 10:39 PM

Thanks Graham for the info.

I have to give this guy LOTS of credit for walking to the mountain. Bravo for not being an easy chair retiree. I know several guys in San Diego that are his age.....stuck with obesity and heart conditions.....getting third world medical/dental aid. Not this Desert Rat guy.....he is truly the lucky one here.

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 11:46 PM

It's been over 30 hours since he hitched a ride, any word on Rat?
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2014 at 07:18 AM

I'm getting concerned too. Hard to imagine why he hasn't checked in? We need to know if he makes it back to his car.

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.